does anyone use strictly batteries for their pedal board?

circles

Resident Pinball Enthusiast
May 26, 2013
West Seattle
I've been using a Volto, which is very handy and lasts a long time, but seems to add noise to the board. One pedal is quiet but hiss adds up quickly, particularly at mid and high volumes.

Do you have a battery system that works for you? Is wall power the only way to go? :( I use a few pedals but not a crazy mount:

Boss tuner
Mooer slow engine
Cry Baby wah
triangle fuzz
Memory Toy
DD7

Stratoholic

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 30, 2010
somewhere
I use batteries only, some of my pedals don't even have an AC jack on them. Also, my pedals use so little power, I might buy batteries once a year.

I only use 4 pedals, so buying batteries once a year is nothing.

circles

May 26, 2013
West Seattle
Geez! How will I know which pedal to plug in which slot? I'm guessing these are all common ratings. I'll have to look into the details.

11238000001.BOTT.jpg

Stratoskater

Fuzz Meister General
Feb 8, 2011
Naked in NC
I use batteries in my fuzz (this is the only way I will ever power a GE fuzz because yes it makes a big difference in tone) and my boost pedal. I use a power adapter for my delay because a digital delay won't even last a full gig with a battery IME. If you are having noise issue then a good isolated power supply, check the specs because in years past that ISO Brick was not truly isolated when users dissected it. It was basically a One Spot stuck in a box. The True Tone and Voodoo Labs Pedal Power are all fully and properly isolated.

circles

May 26, 2013
West Seattle
I use batteries in my fuzz (this is the only way I will ever power a GE fuzz because yes it makes a big difference in tone) and my boost pedal. I use a power adapter for my delay because a digital delay won't even last a full gig with a battery IME. If you are having noise issue then a good isolated power supply, check the specs because in years past that ISO Brick was not truly isolated when users dissected it. It was basically a One Spot stuck in a box. The True Tone and Voodoo Labs Pedal Power are all fully and properly isolated.

Ah good to know! Thanks.

roadhog96

Senior Stratmaster
Oct 11, 2017
Drip-Edge Heaven, CT
You know the hiss noise you can hear coming out of the speaker when you turn up the gain knob of a overdrive pedal. Will an isolated power supply eliminate this or is this hereditary to all gain type pedals. Every gain type pedal I have tried you hear it without any playing just the pedal turned on. If you reduce the gain it gets less noticeable to even nothing. Of coarse once you start playing you don’t hear it. Come to think of it I have an old fuzz that does the same thing even with a battery. All other pedals are dead quiet.

Stormy Monday

Blooze daddy
Silver Member
Jan 19, 2011
almost gone
I use one of these

upload_2019-10-1_13-8-23.png

yea, I know that the outputs are not isolated. It worked fine and eliminated noise. Then some Fulltone pedals showed up and they are running a Fulltone wall wart. So something will probably be changing in the future.

heltershelton

Vivamus libero Vivamus duris
Jun 5, 2013
Texas
Geez! How will I know which pedal to plug in which slot? I'm guessing these are all common ratings. I'll have to look into the details.

View attachment 360698
Know the power consumption ratings on your pedals, then go from there. My ocd and bad bob can use anything from 9 to 18, so i have them running at 18. Do not plug anything into the 18v that isnt rated for it.

Stratoholic

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 30, 2010
somewhere
You know the hiss noise you can hear coming out of the speaker when you turn up the gain knob of a overdrive pedal. Will an isolated power supply eliminate this or is this hereditary to all gain type pedals. Every gain type pedal I have tried you hear it without any playing just the pedal turned on. If you reduce the gain it gets less noticeable to even nothing. Of coarse once you start playing you don’t hear it. Come to think of it I have an old fuzz that does the same thing even with a battery. All other pedals are dead quiet.

That's just how overdrive/distortion/fuzz is. It's amplifying and clipping the signal, the side effect is hiss, amps with distortion channels do it too.

Sugarcane

Senior Stratmaster
Nov 24, 2014
On the road
I’d love to keep 9v batteries in my pedals so I could eliminate the need for a power supply in venues, but doesn't the batteries run out of juice too fast when they are left in the pedals?

Latest posts