Join Strat-Talk Today

Does Eric Clapton play his signature model?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Jackson753, Jul 26, 2019.

1. Nate D

Nate D Most Honored Senior Member

There are essentially three tiers to the EC Strat:

1. Masterbuilt Clapton Strat. For his personal guitars Clapton will have a custom guitar built by one of the master builders- usually Todd Krause. This guitar will reflect what Clapton currently wants. A slightly different neck profile, 3-way vs 5-way switch, TBX vs no TBX, color ect. If you order a masterbuilt Clapton Strat it will reflect the specs that Clapton is currently asking for from the Fender team
    2. Custom Shop Clapton Strat: Basic features are the same as your production model Clapton Strat, but with more finish options, no signature on the front of the headstock, better quality wood and tram built using the CS CNC machines and team members.
    3. Standard Clapton Strat: Built off the line in Corona, CA.
    All are great guitars. I’d love to have one. :)

2. Will Lefeurve

Will Lefeurve Senior Stratmaster

Surely.. that's insider trading.. :eek::D

3. Wrighty

Wrighty Most Honored Senior Member

We always talk in tge plural, ‘Clapton’s ARE effectively Masterbuilt’ How many does he need / have? What happened to the the guitar example, Lucille, Blackie, Brownie............Seems you get to a level where your sound has been defined but the instrument that helped, with the history that everyone knows, is suddenly easily replaceable by any number of newly manufactured ones. In ten or so years time there will be no more charity sales of guitars, who wants to pay for a guitar which is one of the dozens and dozens Eric has used over the past 30 years? Bit like buying a flag that has been flown at the Whitehouse, for 5 seconds.

Jackson753 and vid1900 like this.
  4. echoes71

echoes71 Senior Stratmaster

He doesn't exactly play his signature model, he plays several Masterbuild Todd Krause version of his guitar.

Erik_C likes this.
  5. Alan Crossley

Alan Crossley Senior Stratmaster

I strongly suspect that when the Clapton Office calls Fender, and asks for another guitar, Mr Fender jumps to attention and provides whatever is requested. Anyone who thinks that they just go into their stores and throws the first they find into a taxi with a note is deluding themselves.:cool:

Jackson753 likes this.
  6. Kester

Kester Strat-O-Master

I don’t think there will be charity auctions, but I think that that will be be because there won’t be the iconic players. Clapton’s charity auctions have already included many of his signature model, some used a lot, some not much at all. They all went for large sums of money though.

7. sgarnett

sgarnett Strat-O-Master

The ultimate artist model would be the one Knopfler used to look at through a store window because it looked like the one played by Hank Marvin. :whistling: I hear the original window guitar is worth a fortune! :D

vid1900, circles and crawdaddy like this.
  8. horax

horax Strat-Talker

What I find funny is that John Mayer played an SRV standard strat when he started. When Fender gave him his own line, they BASED it off the standard SRV guitar...pickups and everything.

So you could buy the SRV model, or the JM custom shop model that is based off the MIM SRV.

Does that mean the Big Dipper JM pickups sound the same as the SRV Texas specials? Perhaps.

9. freddairy

freddairy Strat-Talk Member

With the right setup you can make a MIM play as well as a Custom Shop.
    I've had my fair share of Custom Shop Fenders and sold them all for American Vintage Reissues.
    I'm OK with that comparison but not sure about Clapton.

I can say I recently picked up an older modeled Clapton with the Lace Sensors. So much of the tone of this guitar comes down to the electronics that I would assume a MIM Standard set up b y a good luthier with the same electronics would be hard to distinguish from an American Signature Clapton on a recording. Id be the same could be said for a Custom Shop model.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.