Does having locking tuners decrease the value of a guitar?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Digiplay, Jun 12, 2021.

1. Digiplay

Digiplay Strat-Talker

I'm going to help a friend sell his Deluxe Roadhouse Strat, and it has Fender locking tuners on it.

He still has the originals, so should he leave the locking tuners on, or put the originals back on and sell the locking tuners separately?

What I'm getting at is will this guitar sell easier/faster at a slightly higher price than the same guitar with the original tuners on it.or does it decrease it's value?

2. Nick-O

Nick-O Senior Stratmaster

It would be a positive to me...saves me having to do it after purchase. Or keep the locking tuners for future use and sell with the originals.

Mr_10awg, Morf2540, drp146 and 4 others like this.
  3. TimJ

TimJ Strat-O-Master

It really depends on the buyer.

It would be a plus for me (I put locking tuners on all my Strats).

My guess would be, since that model is a contemporary one you can buy easily anyway, that potential buyers aren’t going to be too snooty about “original parts only”…things may well be very different if we were talking a vintage collector’s piece.

But I’m projecting my own values onto what other people think. I guess you can but try and put it out there.

Morf2540, rockon1, Axeman826 and 4 others like this.
  4. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Most Honored Senior Member

GC gave me $100 for my old affinity cuz it had locking tuners.
    The original ones sucked and I was a dummy.
    I'm guessing they wouldn't have come up with $50 if it didn't have em.

drp146 and 3bolt79 like this.
  5. ThreeChordWonder

ThreeChordWonder Senior Stratmaster

The original non locking tuners are probably only worth $20 or so on Fleabay anyway, so why not offer it with both sets? Offer to swap them out if needs be and throw in a $6 or $7 set of new strings.

Morf2540, drp146, kilroy and 4 others like this.
  6. PCollen

PCollen Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

[QUOTE="Digiplay, post: 4366313, member: 75654"

....put the originals back on and sell the locking tuners separately?

[/QUOTE]

This ^ . Why give away the lockers when the originals are in hand to put back on. The buyer isn't going to ask about it unless the guitar has been advertised for sale with locking tuners. Sell the lockers separately, or keep them to put on another guitar.

It doesn't decrease the value, but it will not increase the value by the amount paid for the locking tuners. A guitar needs tuners, but adding a $60 set of locking tuners may make it more attractive to a buyer, but not $60 more attractive...maybe $10 more. So by leaving them on the seller is going to take a greater loss than if selling it as it was originally "built"...with the original tuners.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
    gerryk, Morf2540, Axeman826 and 13 others like this.
  7. Digiplay

Digiplay Strat-Talker

Hi Nick-O!

But would you pay more for the same guitar than if it didn't have the locking tuners?

For instance, if there was an identical Strat for sale that didn't have locking tuners, but the one I'm selling has them, would you pay $25.00 more for it?

I didn't bring it up originally, but I would include the original tuners as well if that makes a difference.

8. Digiplay

Digiplay Strat-Talker

Hi TCW!

But I never said I would sell the non locking tuners separately, I would actually sell the locking ones separately.

I'm obviously not expressing myself very well, and what I need input on is if any of you would pay, as I said, $25.00 more for the guitar with locking tuners (with originals included) than if it didn't have them?

If not, I would put the originals back on, and that solves that :)

3bolt79 likes this.
  9. didger

didger Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

I for one would pay a more for an identical guitar with lockers, but I couldn't guess what percentage of other buyers would. I would say though that you could probably make a little more by selling the lockers separately. You could probably get close to retail for a used set of lockers in good condition. Someone like me or Nick-O might pay close to retail for lockers added to a used Strat since we would be buying them to add later, anyway, but a lot of other people probably wouldn't.

So... it's a gamble! But you're probably only looking at a $20 or so difference either way.

drp146, jbylake, joe_cpwe and 2 others like this.
  10. Handsome McClane

Handsome McClane Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I sold my '96 US Strat this last year. It had locking tuners. I removed them though and put it back to stock for the sale. Not sure if it would have affected the price or "vintage value" or not.

Now I've got a nice set of locking tuners that I'm gonna put on something else. I do like them better than non-locking.

drp146 and 3bolt79 like this.
  11. ThreeChordWonder

To me whether the guitar came with locking or non locking tuners would be irrelevant. It's the guitar as a whole that's important. If it's a "prestige" model", maybe the original tuners might be important, but I'd probably fit locking tuners anyway, others might not.

I would expect a guitar to come with tuners, yes, but the brand and type wouldn't matter to me any more than, say, what brand of tires were on a second hand car. Hankook fine, Michelin nicer, but don't expect me to pay more because of that.

12. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Senior Stratmaster

I really don't see that much of a diffefence, other than speeding up the re-stringing process. So, no value added or diminished for me.

BuddyHollywood, HazyPurple and JB74 like this.
  13. Digiplay

Digiplay Strat-Talker

Good analogy!

So if the second hand car had new Michelins on it, but the owner took them off and put cheaper tires on it, you would pay the same price?

3bolt79 likes this.
  14. Digiplay

Digiplay Strat-Talker

BTW guys, I'm aware that either way I go, we're not talking about any SERIOUS money :)

As I said earlier, if you were looking at two identical guitars, one had locking tuners and the other one didn't, it's obvious that all things being equal, of course one would buy the one with Fender Locking Tuners IF they were the same price :)

I was simply trying to see if you would pay $10/$15/$20/$25 more for the one that did have locking tuners, as wel as the originals being included?

Thanks for putting up with my questions guys!

Baelzebub and 3bolt79 like this.
  15. ThreeChordWonder

^Answer is no.

BuddyHollywood and 3bolt79 like this.
  16. ThreeChordWonder

If he did it in front of me or told me he was going to do that, I'd walk away. I mean, while he was at it what else would he be swapping out?

If he did it between purchase and handing over the keys I'd sue.

Glyderslead and 3bolt79 like this.
  17. BuddhaFingas

BuddhaFingas Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Depending on who you ask, looking at the guitar decreases the value.

JB74 and 3bolt79 like this.
  18. Digiplay

Digiplay Strat-Talker

Well then, here's what I've learned today:

1) Yes to some members.
    2) No to some members.
    3) The only thing all members could agree on is that all members will never agree about anything.

And NO, don't any members disagree about #3 or I will disagree just to make a point :) :) :)

Thanks guys, and have a GREAT weekend!
    Jerry

Boyd L, Driftwood, Exhead and 2 others like this.
  19. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Dr. Stratster

Put the originals back on for sure. I just traded my Fender American Special in surf pearl. I put a pearloid pick guard and back plate on it. And I put locking tuners on it. I traded straight across for a 1989 Fender HM strat. I gave the guy the original plastics and the original tuners.

Driftwood likes this.
  20. Digiplay

Digiplay Strat-Talker

Do you mean put the originals back on and keep the locking tuners, or keep the locking tuners on and include the originals as well?