Does having locking tuners decrease the value of a guitar?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Digiplay, Jun 12, 2021.

1. jackietreehorn

jackietreehorn Strat-Talk Member

I would think they would only decrease the value of the guitar only if it was vintage. Also, it won’t really increase the value. I’d put the originals back in if I was going to sell it.

Bob the builder likes this.
  2. HazyPurple

HazyPurple Without stress... my life would be empty Silver Member

I like these;

IMG_20210613_151319.jpg

I can look at my reflection.

I also like these;

IMG_20210613_151424.jpg

So simple.

I don't like cheap lumpy ones.

IMG_20210613_151539.jpg

Don't wanna spend on this guitar though.

I wouldn't care personally, but I'd more likely buy if fitted with lockers.

3. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Put the originals back on and sell the locking gears separately to maximize the amount you will get for the sale.

BuddyHollywood and Ebidis like this.
  4. Willmunny

Willmunny Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

This was my thought

5. Sureshot33

Sureshot33 Strat-Talker

I've only sold one guitar in my life, but any time I buy a new guitar, any swaps I make, I always store all original parts in the bag. Usually pickups and pickguard. Never know. Those parts aren't worth selling to me and don't take up any storage space.
    (I have locking tuners on any non floyd guitars. Like others, they just make string changes easier.)

6. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

Ya... The addition of upgrades and accessories rarely increase the sale price.
    They may help it sell more quickly, but in general you aren't going to recover the cost.

But you see people all the time that believe the opposite, and some go so far so as to list all of their mods and add them all up (without deducting the value of the removed parts) and then try to claim that a $700 used guitar is worth their asking price of $2000 because they spent $1500 buying it and installed a set of $500 pickups.

7. Dibbs

Dibbs Senior Stratmaster

Everybody is pounding the "All Original" drum, so they can low-ball you. That works both ways. Put those "Original" tuners back on the guitar. Sell it as "All Original", get paid.

Then you have the really nice lockers, for your next guitar. After all, you're giving buyers what they "want", right ? Face it, you're not going to use those original Fender tuners for anything, anyway. So why give those lockers away to somebody who is just going to use them to jerk you around on the price ?

8. unisaurusRex

unisaurusRex New Member!

All else being equal, I would pay the extra $25. I put locking tuners on all my guitars so this would save me a little time and money. You'll probably have the same number of people saying "I don't care about locking tuners so I would buy the cheaper guitar"

9. dvto2

dvto2 Strat-Talk Member

I just bought an 2017 Am Deluxe Tele that originals on the tele and a new set of fender locking tuners in the case. It was an attractive detail, but not the main reason I bought the guitar which was based on price ($1000) and other features on the guitar: condition (excellent), neck (rosewood), frets (new stainless).

That being said I love locking tuners and have them on all my guitars. I put a new set of gotoh locking tuners on a "road worn" Eastman semi hollow and it was a huge upgrade in looks and function.

If you think you might use them, keep them. If not, it might help convince someone to pay top dollar.

10. ToneGuy

ToneGuy Strat-Talk Member

The original tuners on that guitar are the Fender locking tuners. They are made by schaller. I have that guitar bought new.

11. mrmikey

mrmikey New Member!

Not worth changing in my opinion. In addition to the time and effort changing back, you would need new strings as the current ones would be too short to put on the original tuners. The locking tuners wouldn't increase the selling price significantly on a Deluxe. What ever you might sell the locking tuners for afterwards would have to be offset against the price of the new strings and your time swapping the tuners and strings out.

12. publius

publius Strat-Talker

I feel strongly both ways.

13. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

The Deluxe Roadhouse didn't get locking tuners until the most recent revision in mid-2016. Also they are not made by Schaller; they are made by Ping to the specs that Fender used to get from Schaller. Fender hasn't used Schaller locking tuners on anything but the Jeff Beck Strat since say 2007-ish.

CB91710 likes this.
  14. StratorTrle

StratorTrle Strat-Talk Member

In
    I just don't like them. To much weight to the headstock. Not necessary, with a good set-up, you will stay in tune without.

15. Brucegomb

Brucegomb Strat-Talker

Locking tuner increase the value but not by what you think. It increases the "Sale-ability" of it (makes it slightly more desirable). The ONLY time you'd have to worry about going back to stock is if it was a really old strat and then it likely wouldn't be 2 pin anyway.

CB91710 likes this.
  16. StratQuaken

StratQuaken New Member!

A vintage higher valued guitar was not a vintage guitar when it was new or still in its own era. Original parts are only an issue once an instrument ages and if it becomes more valuable.

I would leave on the locking tuners and get a little more $ for your friend. A knowledgeable buyer will pay a little more for locking tuners. It is not your responsibility to take less because of a buyer that does not know that locking tuners merit more money. He will realize that when other people start telling him the locking tuners are a plus.

I would include the originals just in case the guitar gains enough value in the future that the originality of its parts becomes an issue of increasing/decreasing value. If that becomes the case, then you will have done the buyer/guitar a good favor.

17. The Tortoise

The Tortoise Strat-Talk Member

Well, does some giant spoiler that has been tacked onto the back of a car with self-tapping screws increase or decrease the value?

18. Dented

Dented New Member!

If a guitar is vintage, like 60s, 70s, 80, I would definitely put the original tuners back on so you don't have to explain anything...all original is the best. But this guitar is a player and locking tuners are awesome. I'd list it as it is with the locking tuners but in your listing add "the original tuners are included and are in the case".

19. PRSWILL

PRSWILL Strat-Talk Member

Honestly, for a guitar like this that's been made in MASS quantities- just keep the locking tuners on and sell the originals with the guitar. It's not going to affect the price. If this were a '62 strat- the answer is obvious.

Davey76 and CB91710 like this.
  20. Davey76

Davey76 Strat-Talk Member

I think it depends on the buyer. Something is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Some would gladly take the non OG locking tuners because they want the thing to stay in tune longer, some will be snobby about wanting it OG. There is a market for everything. ive modded all my Strats just about in some way. Vintage tuners on Standard strats, better pups in in American professional Strats, new neck in one case(long story). Most of my Strats went from being generic retail shelf instruments to now essentially being partscasters. They are actually way better instruments than they were because they’ve been customised to what I like and need out of instruments. I’m not really a seller. I believe buying generic instruments and doing what it takes to get them where you want them. Cheaper than buying vintage instruments that you’d be too afraid to potentially lose or damage. Now I’m in to building zero up partscasters. ie sourcing every last part to my exact spec and assembling. Way way cheaper and way better instruments.

BuddyHollywood likes this.