Does replacing wiring and pots make it a partscaster

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by crowtee, Nov 16, 2021.

1. Mike H

Mike H Strat-Talker Gold Supporting Member

Leo Fender never intended for his guitars to keep all of their original parts forever. He was driven to make instruments for working musicians that had easily replaceable parts, especially the neck. Before Fenders hit the market, if a musician broke a guitar neck, it meant that meant they had to buy a new instrument. Leo's concept was that they could just replace the neck for a fraction of the cost, and get back to playing music ASAP. I really don't understand all the hype of having to have "all original" parts. But, I'm a player and not a collector.

2. AxemanVR

AxemanVR I appreciate, therefore I am... Silver Member

`
    I agree with the "Original Body + Original Neck = Original Guitar" and any other changes makes it "Modified"...

`

Sonicbridge and LucasT like this.
  3. Intune

Intune Senior Stratmaster

I love these comments. It’s a great attitude to have though, just when you see it this way and someone sometime down the road buys one of your strats may see it differently. It’s not hype in today’s world it’s reality. Especially when buying a Strat for what $2000-$30,000k, it better be original.

Sonicbridge and AxemanVR like this.
  4. StratUp

StratUp Senior Stratmaster

It's now a pots-caster.

5. revtime

revtime Strat-O-Master

Guess what...well you already know. I dont care. Anyone that pays 20k needs to have the head examined. In my opinion of course. If I ever win the lottery I am going to buy up vintage strats and change all the parts around and give em to kids to use as shovels in the back yard.
    Im so tired of rolling my eyes at these type of answers my eyes are gonna fall out.
    It aint special. Its a guitar.
    Flame away. :p

6. systolsys

systolsys Strat-O-Master

No. It's a pot. Pot is a consumable. Just ask Portland.

7. BuddhaFingas

BuddhaFingas Senior Stratmaster

Potscaster

8. Intune

That’s awesome! High five, I don’t care either.

9. Jimi Lightning

Jimi Lightning Most Honored Senior Member

IMHO as soon as you change anything (less strings) Its a partscaster by definition as it is no longer as it left the factory.
    Upgrade, but keep the original parts duly labelled to go with it if and when sold.
    Ie: Modified Stratocaster but have the original “insert part name” if you want to go back to original.

Same answer pretty much I gave the last time this was asked and IIRC it didn’t go well then either….:rolleyes:

10. nosmo

nosmo Strat-O-Master Gold Supporting Member

I have nylon mesh holding my guts in (hernia repairs), and plastic lenses in my eyes (cataract surgery) and some titanium clips where my gall bladder used to be......am I still human?

revtime and Wound_Up like this.
  11. Wound_Up

Wound_Up Custom Title Silver Member

Ignorance is bliss

12. Wound_Up

Wound_Up Custom Title Silver Member

By definition? What definition? Lmfao.

There is no official definition of that made up word lmfao. You've lost your mind. Partscaster is a made up word with NO SPECIFIC MEANING.

That's why Fender owners apply it to 78 different models of guitar, whether you change a pickguard or everything on the guitar. Come on with that foolishness.

"by definition"

:rolleyes:

Its not even a real word with a defined meaning or people wouldn't use it to describe 172 different guitars with 67,000 different modifications

13. Jimi Lightning

Jimi Lightning Most Honored Senior Member

@Wound_Up

I respect your opinion, however I will restate mine. No insult intended.
    I would politely request looking up Modified, mint, new in the dictionary. Those are the baselines. Straw-maning the phrase “by definition” and explaining Partscaster albeit a means to make a point is one sided.

As soon as you change a part it is no longer as new thereby it has been modified and is a “parts-caster.”
    Same with cars etc… YMMV

14. Leofender

Leofender Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

That's harsh... Can I suggest a liberal spray of Deoxit on the cactus first...!

15. Intune

No offence here but I don’t think you get it. No one is calling a modified Strat a partscaster. People ask this because they are confused.

A partscasters is a guitar you made from random parts. They could be aftermarket parts or mismatched fender parts. Swapping pickups or pots doesn’t classify it a partscaster.

Swapping necks and bodies from 3 different generations of strats does. It’s a a Strat but not original. Seems pretty logical to me. People get offended because they’re made up parts from different fenders now some how gets looked down on.

16. dirocyn

dirocyn Most Honored Senior Member

An object in factory condition is "Mint." If it's a car, that means the original tires, wipers, oil, etc. On a guitar, it would mean it still has the factory strings and stickers and cling-wrap on the pickguard.

An object in "like new" condition is different. Most people consider a car to be "like new" even if it has had wear items (tires, windshield wipers, motor oil, spark plugs) replaced with correct parts. No points get deducted on the concours for having new tires; in fact points will be deducted if worn items are not replaced. This is the guitar equivalent of replacing strings. Nobody wants to buy a guitar with rusty strings.

A car is still "numbers matching" if it still has the original frame or unibody, engine, and transmission. You can replace an alternator or a bumper or hood or even a couple of doors or the windshield or the seats--as long as you use correct parts it's considered original. Not factory original and new, but still correct. If you use the engine from a different car, it's no longer a numbers-matching car even if the engine you used is correct. We have the same issue with guitars--the numbers are on the body and the neck. IMO a numbers-matching guitar (with original body & neck) is not a partscaster. Note that this concept tells you nothing about condition. A numbers-matching car could be one that sat in a barn for 40 years after being in a wreck, or it could be one that's been maintained in showroom condition.

Below that, we have the concept of franken-cars. Johnny Cash sang about those, in his song One Piece at a Time. "Now the headlight was another sight, we had two on the left and only one on the right, but when we pulled the switch all three of 'em came on." People do weird and interesting things with cars--like in the song, where he combined pieces from 1949-1973. Mustang fenders & hood on a Corolla, Rolls Royce hood on a VW. And this category is where we get interesting partscaster guitars, like the pre-CBS Jazzmaster neck attached to an unidentified Strat body. There's no other word for a guitar like that. If you put a 2001 Squier SE neck onto a 2010 MIM Standard body--there's no other honest name for what you've crafted. It's a partscaster.

An issue with guitars is that pots are a wear item--but they're a part with identifiable numbers and faking a pot would take different skills and machinery than faking a body or neck. If a guitar is supposed to be a 1964 Strat that's been under Granny's bed for the last 50 years--but all of the pots are from 2021 and made in China--you know that origin story is a lie and have reason to suspect the whole guitar is a recent forgery.

revtime likes this.
  17. Eric_G

Eric_G Senior Stratmaster

From where I stand:

- Guitar left the factory, is fully functional and had no parts replaced: Original Fender
    - Guitar left the factory 20+ years ago, is fully functional and had not parts replaced: Original Fender survivor
    - Guitar left the factory, is fully functional and had a few parts replaced for maintenance: Fender maintained
    - Guitar left the factory 20+, was not fully functional and had part replaced with Fender parts: Original Fender restored
    - Guitar left the factory, is fully functional and had major parts replaced and designed modified: Fender upgraded/Modified
    - Guitar was fully assembled by someone other than Fender with Fender part or others: Partcaster

I can see the attraction of a collector to an Original Fender survivor. Conceptually based on the design (bolted neck, etc.) these are more and more rare. Rare means lower offer, so if there's demand, it means higher value.

However, there's no way in my mind that a factory built fender that has had repairs or upgrades is no longer a Fender.

Partcasters only apply to a guitar that was never factory built or had major part replacement (Neck, Body) with non fender parts.

A factory based fender with let's say a non fender bridge or trem is simply and Fender upgraded/modified...

Nuff' said !

18. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

If you're replacing the pickups too, why not consider a new loaded guard and set the original in the case to restore it if you try to sell it?

Before taking the original one off completely, I'd try hitting that scratchy pot with Deoxit so you can see if it takes care of that issue.