Does this CS Strat look legit?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Rattle&Hum, Aug 23, 2021.

1. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Censored

Too many red flags, I'd move on to a different one.

TN703800, Intune and Guitarmageddon like this.
  2. Intune

Intune Senior Stratmaster

Still if it turns out legit there’s still a lot of questionable items with this one. Just the overall fit of the pickguard, the strange wear on the back middle of the body, the body itself looks to be a 3 piece which not uncommon but still odd for the CS.

The pickup covers and knobs all look aged differently. The switch screws look wrong. Countersunk but a dome shape, they should look identical to the pickup screws.

Then the overall wear. Not a ding in site. Whoever owned it must have whore a big fluffy sweater at all times.

Check out the closeup of the pickguard fit. Looks off, look at the screw cut into the bevel. Just so many things that look wrong. F903B341-6D6B-4FFE-9ED1-52A9838F60D4.png

drp146, JP68, vid1900 and 1 other person like this.
  3. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Censored

What's a "big, fluffy whore sweater" got to do with anything? We're getting off track aren't we?

Wrighty and guitarchaeologist like this.
  4. Intune

Sorry at the doctors office, was in a rush. What I was saying is not off track. I meant that the overall finish looks odd. Like no chips but strange wear patterns like someone only wore a fluffy soft sweater. That’s what it looks like does it not?

5. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Censored

Lol blame it on the drugs the docs given you. I'm kidding

Intune likes this.
  6. Intune

7. Intune

I’d say run far away

yours 602D66CB-F8B7-4E9A-B84A-0F02EE31D0C8.jpeg the proper 3 tone sunburst from the link I sent you E0F5D8AC-E8C8-4487-B366-9461B2D0C196.png

CB91710 likes this.
  8. Rattle&Hum

Rattle&Hum Strat-Talk Member

Good points. The seller pointed out the changed pickguard and pickup covers (like that when he got it). The bevel on the pickguard is all wrong and wonky. It is not consistent all the way around. Cannot speak to the screws. I'm not so concerned about those items. Plastics is easy and there is no original value to protect here.

The authenticity of the body and neck are the biggest deals for me, though. Do the stamps in the pocket/heel actually tell us anything?

One thing, though, the finish is giving me pause. InTune raises a good point about the quality of the burst edges. But I noticed the texture - especially when you look at the close-up photo of the neck plate. There is too much texture... It is not smooth - and not in the "its so thin it sunk into the grain" kind of texture.

Intune likes this.
  9. Ferpie

Ferpie Senior Stratmaster

Having been in similar dilemma, I'll just say

Custom guitars, you'll find an other one, the money you spend isn't coming back tho.

if any doubt comes to your mind, go find the peace of mind

10. Intune

Yeah that’s what I’m saying. Every bolted on part could have been changed at one point, who cares. It could be brought back to original if you wanted. Those parts are available.

I’ve never seen that many stamps and markings ever inside the neck pocket or on the neck heel. Usually it’s a pen or pencil mark and maybe a squiggle of a sharpie. Then there’s the 60’s 2 tone sunburst and even the orange like tint of the neck. Yeah it’s older, it can fade. That does not look the case.

Someone along the line got fooled I think and now it’s for sale cheap. I mean depending on price it could be a nice guitar.

Here’s my now sold 2003 CS nocaster neck pocket. Noting like what you have. Someone went a little overboard trying to fake it 953FF7A5-04A0-41B3-8786-F9629698B0C4.jpeg F4885C4D-30EE-4D86-AF9A-4F014E433BC5.jpeg

drp146 and vid1900 like this.
  11. Rattle&Hum

Rattle&Hum Strat-Talk Member

That neck was stamped on my birthday! Love it!

The lighting in the photos the seller has provided is pretty bad. In that light, the burst looks more like a AVRI than other 1960 NOS examples. For the price, not likely to be a deal breaker.

Ultimately, you're absolutely right - and that's the way I'm approaching it. I'm mainly interested because its a good strat that has been used by real players (recently) and setup well at a well-respected place for what is a great price (at least by today's standards).

Fender's response will be interesting.

Intune likes this.
  12. Intune

Yeah keep me posted on what fender says, could be interesting. Good point about the lighting in the pics but no matter what lighting fender doesn’t forget to put the yellow base coat to create a 3 tone sunburst.

13. TheMadStratter

TheMadStratter Strat-Talker

If you have this many questions to be asked about a guitars provenance, I'd not only walk away, I'd run! :eek:

jlsantamaria and RL21980 like this.
  14. RL21980

RL21980 Senior Stratmaster

Call Fender and ask them. I've done it and they are very helpful and nice about it.

15. jackietreehorn

jackietreehorn Strat-Talk Member

If it’s a been altered fairly significantly, it’s resale value is probably shot - just play it and see what you think….

ratdoc likes this.
  16. hogrider16

hogrider16 Strat-Talker

It's a partscaster with possibly some custom shop parts. That's how it should be valued. If you try to sell it, that's how someone else will look at it.

17. kjatexas

kjatexas Strat-Talker

Yes, the sunburst finish is NOT like a 60s Strat would have. It’s more like the current faux three color sunburst, Fender paints on all but higher priced models. There should be distinct black, red, yellow sections in an original style three color sunburst.

Intune likes this.
  18. The Tortoise

The Tortoise Strat-Talk Member

That post for the win. It pretty much sums it up.
    Another favorite is when you post a Strat, and in the listing title you put MIJ.
    The first question you get asked: "where was it made?"

vid1900 and Intune like this.
  19. cpk313

cpk313 Strat-Talk Member

Looks like the guy had a Custom Shop ink stamp made and stamped the neck and neck pocket and now its a Custom Shop. I have never seen that type of stamp on a custom shop.

20. wjsb316

wjsb316 Strat-Talker

Wtf is up with that stamp...red flag!!