Does this fret look OK?

Happzz

New Member!
Mar 3, 2017
Canada
I recently bought a player strat and i noticed the first fret has a small gap where the fret meets the neck. Is this anything I should be worried about? I love the guitar and theres no buzzing or anything and Id rather not have to return the thing. I hope you can see it OK in the picture.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20190505_031618.jpg
    IMG_20190505_031618.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 109

Forpie

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 24, 2019
Montréal
But in all regards, check with a toothpick if the holes are actually filled with glue. If there’s something in that hole you’ll be fine
If not and the problem is all over the board I’d pass on it...

Thrup'ny Bit

Grand Master Curmudgeon
May 21, 2010
Yorkshire
But in all regards, check with a toothpick if the holes are actually filled with glue. If there’s something in that hole you’ll be fine
If not and the problem is all over the board I’d pass on it...
Why would you do that on a new guitar? It's really not a problem. Leave it alone, you'll probably cause real problems poking about.

Mr Dunlop

Senior Stratmaster
Nov 30, 2014
usa
It's no big deal. The fret slots were made deeper for the frets.
The finish fills in these gaps. The finish must have flaked off in that area.

Forpie

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 24, 2019
Montréal
Why would you do that on a new guitar? It's really not a problem. Leave it alone, you'll probably cause real problems poking about.
If the gaps are not filled all over the board, you’re adding some annoying flex on the neck that will make you play more often with the trussrod. No big deal, id just pass myself...

Ronkirn

Most Honored Senior Member
May 26, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
you’re adding some annoying flex on the neck

True.. but wayyyy below the threshold of noticeability... the single unmetered density of the particular piece of wood the neck's made of will have far more influence on that flexibility.... so, don't let it freak ya out.. The weather in your "neck of the woods" coupled with "your" particular setup can have a much bigger influence on the need to "play" with the truss rod than how deep the fret slots are cut....

I don't know that anyone ever moves to another state to reduce the amount of truss rod adjustments they make.. :p

r

SpeedKing

Senior Stratmaster
Apr 9, 2015
UK
I got the same thing on a few frets after I'd made the fretboard edges and fret ends silk like with some sanding blocks on a Squier Affinity. I just bought wood filler & popped some in. Sorted the visual and I could feel the small indents too ... made it properly smooth again.

Forpie

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 24, 2019
Montréal
Well we’re giving attention to this because this is what this thread is about... we only have 1 fret to look at so i say with the amount of spacing in there a good luthier would have filled that with glue... now is it like this all the way? Is it neglected? If yes to both questions I’d give my money to someone else that’s it...