Does this look legit?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Tsjackson, Jun 30, 2020 at 5:57 PM.

1. Tsjackson

Tsjackson Strat-Talker

Being sold as a 2003 AVRI 62.

1DAB5695-3FBA-42CB-8DE8-F76AE5646BA1.png
    EB42C6AC-5E21-4AA0-82F4-71D58342CA1A.png

I’ve asked for more pictures although Im guessing the price is lower than expected due to the lack of photos on the add...

Also, I’ve already asked google but I honestly trust the people on here more than I do a search engine...
    is this guitar actually vintage spec? As in neck shape/radius/frets and presumably the pickups are the 57/62?
    And nitro finish?

cheers!

2. Randy_Lahey

Randy_Lahey Strat-Talker

from the tiny pictures it looks ok so far. Would need to see better pictures of course, and I'm a noob as well. Someone competent should be along shortly!

3. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Intruder alert! Intruder alert! Strat-Talk Supporter

Looks to be damage to the headstock decals . . . but it looks pretty legit from here.

4. CB91710

CB91710 This is a Custom Title Gold Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Are the AVRI serial numbers in the online database? That would be a start. If not, a call to Fender CS... or @Guitarmageddon or @John C

5. Deebs3

Deebs3 Strat-O-Master

I don't see a hole for the trem bar..

6. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

Those pics don't show enough detail to know for sure. It looks reasonable enough to research it further, but I would want to see a closeup of the headstock (the decals are fairly easy to damage), check out the serial number, etc.

A 2003 AVRI should be in Fender's serial number database, but it might be hit-and-miss in terms of verifying the original color (meaning it might not have a photo that shows the color); if it doesn't you might be able to get more details by emailing the serial number to Fender ( the address is: consumerrelations@fender.com ).

Tsjackson and CB91710 like this.
  7. Brucegomb

Brucegomb Strat-Talk Member

Wouldn't consider buying that without a closeup and a serial number.

CB91710 likes this.
  8. Tsjackson

Tsjackson Strat-Talker

I’ve asked for more pictures, will sling them up when I get them.

I too can see the damaged decal, and hadn’t noticed the missing trem bar hole but that looks odd from afar too!

cheers guys il wait for some more pictures

9. Paul47

Paul47 Strat-Talker

Trem probably still has the little round silver sticker over the hole to stop the tension spring falling out.
    Looks ok from afar, but as others have said, more pics needed

stylemessiah likes this.
  10. stylemessiah

stylemessiah Strat-Talker

I know from Australian peeps at least that here its next to impossible to get replacement decals, even if you fulfill the requirements on the Fender page

Bit i'll include a link to it just in case you decide to buy and want to try and get it 100%

https://support.fender.com/hc/en-us...placement-decal-for-my-old-Fender-instrument-

Be very careful with decal challenged Strats, and always check others, on here and with Fender before buying. Just last week i was looking at buying an EC Strat and noticed the headstock was missing the trademark "Blackie" that i thought all black EC Strats should have. Despite being pretty sure of my knowledge on this, i still posted here to chekc my knowledge AND asked Fender. They confirmed that it should have a "Blackie" decal. That and the fact the seller would not give me the full serial (only the first 4 characters), and gave me attitude when i pressed for it, made me walk away. Not the sort of guy i was going to give AUD$1,850 to :)

Dont be afraid to walk away....

Hydr0, nickmsmith and stratocarlster like this.
  11. stratocarlster

stratocarlster Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Seriously if someone selling a guitar won't show you the serial number ... yeah run!

CB91710, stylemessiah and nickmsmith like this.
  12. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Jaguar Convert Strat-Talk Supporter

No idea why people are so protective of that. Even legit sellers. It’s not like it’s a credit card number.

Tsjackson, Kester, macoshark and 3 others like this.
  13. Tsjackson

Tsjackson Strat-Talker

I’ve not heard a peep since messaging him, il probs leave it be. I reckon I could’ve had it for £900. Not that I have £900 haha.

I’ve now got it wedged into my brain I want some kind of oly white 62 strat haha