Does This Sound Suspicious...?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Bill Sheehan, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Bill Sheehan

Bill Sheehan Strat-Talker

Several days ago I bought a guitar from a private seller via eBay. I paid the Seller using PayPal.

The Seller shipped the guitar and it arrived at my place safely yesterday.

Today, however, I got multiple urgent-sounding email messages, plus a voicemail on my cell phone, from the Seller, saying that he has been involved in an ongoing dispute with the PayPal folks, as a result of which they appeared to be on the verge of freezing or otherwise laying claim to all of the funds in his PayPal account.

So, he had hauled off and REFUNDED the money (appx. $300.00) that I had paid him, back to MY PayPal account, and is now asking that I pay that money over to him, by some method OTHER than PayPal.

I checked my PayPal account online, and it does indeed appear that the $300.00 has been refunded to my PayPal account.

The Seller states that he was given my email address and phone number by PayPal; somehow that doesn't ring true, but maybe that's not uncommon.

This whole situation feels "off" somehow. I feel as though, if I go ahead and pay the "refunded" money back over to the Seller by a method other than PayPal, as he is requesting, that I might be accused of being "complicit" in him beating PayPal out of the money which they claim he owes to them. In other words, I'm suddenly in the middle of somebody else's dispute, and not liking it, and not sure if there's something weird going on here or not! Am I right to be concerned?

3bolt79 likes this.
  2. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Censored Strat-Talk Supporter

Yeah that sounds very weird. Contact PayPal and ask them what's going on in this case. They can't just give away your personal information to the guy.

He's up to something and he's not being totally honest about it.

Do not transfer money any other way until you hear from PayPal what it's all about, explain to him that until PayPal has explained everything you won't be sending any more cash to him.

3. Nubs

Nubs Strat-O-Master

Sounds like a scam

First off, why is he involved in an ongoing dispute with PayPal? Surely it doesn't have anything to do with your transaction as it was bought, shipped, and delivered normally.

Second, he's asking you to refund him the money he just gave back to you via some other method than PayPal?

NO

If it feels off, that's because it is. I say ignore him and enjoy your new guitar.

PS: This is an obvious attempt at what’s known as social engineering. Google it and arm yourselves.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
  4. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Censored Strat-Talk Supporter

He could probably claim that he was waiting for you to return the guitar and that's why he transferred back the cash.

Or maybe PayPal is requesting him to pay for some other deal he's done and he doesn't want to, so he doesn't want to have any cash remaining in his account for PayPal to take.

Those are the two reasons off the top of my head I could up with. It's very weird behavior

Cyberi4n, 3bolt79 and Stratwrangler like this.
  5. apm1991

apm1991 Senior Stratmaster

I agree that it seems fishy... I'd email PayPal... forward them the email he sent you

6. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

i've sold oodles on ebay and i have been given e-mail addresses and phone numbers so that is normal.

but the rest is too weird for me to even guess with confidence !

Cyberi4n, Bill Sheehan and 3bolt79 like this.
  7. Otisblove

Otisblove Senior Stratmaster

Sounds like a scam, probably IS a scam. Better safe than sorry. Talk to PayPal. Don’t send him any more money. You can send ME money if you want to, though.

Jesse414, Nubs, guitarsnpucks and 5 others like this.
  8. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Are you sure it's not a fake paypal email? REALLY check that email address....this seems like 100% a scam.....

NO WAY don't pay the money to anyone, it might even be a 3rd party trying to rip the seller off....

Triple Jim and 3bolt79 like this.
  9. 33db

33db Senior Stratmaster

So what's his/her scam? They refund, then you pay another way "quickly", and then what? He tells paypal I refunded and this guy didn't send it back? So he gets the $300, plus what here? Some insurance pay off?

Jesse414 and 3bolt79 like this.
  10. Stratwrangler

Stratwrangler Senior Stratmaster

Yeah thats not right Bill , you need to contact pay pal and find out how he got your details especially your phone number as thats a breach of data protection and consumer rights.

As said above its either that he has been caught doing this before and owes pay pal or its a scam in that he gets PayPal to make you return the guitar but still keeps the $300 that you transfer by other means . Dont do it , at the moment you've done nothing wrong and dont want to return the guitar . Keep the emails and take screen shots of the calls from him on your phone to send to PayPal. I would imagine that PayPal will take the money again from your account to credit his account again , After that its his problem not yours.

11. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

That's why I've never liked PayPal. I've only used it about three times but after every one them I start getting emails about how I need to confirm my account, etc. So no, not a fan

3bolt79 likes this.
  12. Bill Sheehan

Bill Sheehan Strat-Talker

Additional info--- I notice that the voicemail he left me showed area code (808), which is Hawaii. His return address on the shipping box was an address in North Carolina. That may or may not be indicative of something weird, but it's not helping me feel any more comfortable, that's for sure. Thanks for your thoughts, all. This is kind of unnerving, as I'm sitting here with $300 to my credit that I'm not entitled to and did not ask for, and a couple of parties at odds with each other as to who is entitled to it.

13. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Did you actually go to www.paypal.com and log in? And not through the link in any email you got????

IF you did click the email link....go to www.paypal.com, log in, and change your password IMMEDIATELY

Bowmap, Jesse414, vid1900 and 8 others like this.
  14. henderman

go into your pay pal account fresh from the internet and not any e-mails. never click on links in emails from anything, that is how they get you.

i got a scam email the other day day saying i bought something for 300 sum odd dollars. i backed out of the email and did not click on the links in it.

then i closed out and went to pay pal from my computer and there were no transactions.

3bolt79, RobZ69 and Guitarmageddon like this.
  15. 33db

33db Senior Stratmaster

Paypal is all I use, never use a credit card online. I guess the difference for me is I am buying from the likes of Sweetwater so no worries really.
    When I use to build drones I sold a few online, but only to people with high buyer/seller ratings.

Any hoo, this sounds sketchy and there shouldn't be any sketchiness for an established system.

3bolt79 likes this.
  16. Stratwrangler

Given emails and phone numbers by who ?

17. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Yeah, I would call PayPal’s fraud department. I would leave the money in your PayPal account, don’t transfer it to your bank just yet, as that could be taken as your participation in this little scam of his. Just let PayPal sort it out. Good luck.

Stratwrangler and duzie like this.
  18. Stratwrangler

That kinda confirms its a scam Bill in my book. As @Guitarmageddon said log in properly to your pay pal and change your pass word . Dont be unnerved though you've done nothing wrong contact PayPal directly your self and explain the situation and again find out how this guy got your phone number and direct email. When ive used ebay or PayPal emails are routed through them never directly to my email.

19. henderman

pay pal/ebay the info was always included on the shipping labels.

Bowmap, Cyberi4n and 3bolt79 like this.
  20. Stratwrangler

Must be different in the US to here in Europe that has never been on anything ive received or sent , why would you want randoms having personal details like that ?. Thats the whole point of using a third party like PayPal.