Does This Sound Suspicious...?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Bill Sheehan, Feb 13, 2020.

1. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

i have not been selling stuff for at least a year so it may have changed.

but i agree, the transaction with paypal/ebay is a third party middle man that handles the $ so i do not have to.

i can message thru ebay and i can be contacted there also so no one needs any more info.

2. Stratwrangler

Stratwrangler Senior Stratmaster

Exactly my point , no one should be getting personal details , its basic data protection and consumer rights.

henderman likes this.
  3. Bill Sheehan

Bill Sheehan Strat-Talker

Hahahahahaha! Love it!!

4. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I don't know the exact answer, but I bought a guitar from a guy via ebay maybe 10 years ago. He was really cagey about the transaction until I met him, then he opened up. The reason he wanted cash from me was because he'd been burnt. He'd sold a watch for a few hundred pounds on ebay, got the funds into his PayPal account, sent the watch, then the money disappeared from his account.

At the time, he wasn't sure what had happened to him, but I think I have the answer: all banks, clearing houses, credit card companies etc have the right to reverse transactions if they have either been made in error, or the funds do not legitimately belong to the party who has made the transfer.

So, if someone can convince their bank or credit card company that they have no idea why the money has been transferred to a stranger's PayPal account, they could probably get the funds clawed back.

Whatever, the answer is CONTACT PAYPAL AND DO NOT TRANSFER FUNDS, as so many others have said.

Stratwrangler likes this.
  5. Bladesg

Bladesg Funk Meister Strat-Talk Supporter

Definitely appears to be some kind of scam to either avoid paying PayPal 3% or whatever it is they take these days or he's doing some insurance scam or similar.

I've been using PayPal since it's inception without ever an issue.

6. ukoldgit

ukoldgit Most Honored Senior Member

You should look at it as a free guitar until Paypal contact you:whistling:

7. Wrighty

Wrighty Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Yeah, off. He’s on to getting paid twice. Possibly will try and wrangle $300 out of PayPal because you ‘haven’t paid’, and get $300 from you. PayPal then come after you for the $300! Tell PayPal and get them to freeze your account.

myredstrat and Mansonienne like this.
  8. Agtronic

Agtronic Strat-O-Master

THIS. My first thought as soon as I read the first post.

9. Tuner Sandwich

Tuner Sandwich Strat-O-Master

Call PayPal.

10. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Most Honored Senior Member

No Grouse hunting, the fires ran me out....
    If the seller is having a ongoing dispute then my guess would be Paypal wouldn't have let him make the transaction to begin with. Paypal is secure, other methods are not. I call it a SCAM.

Guy Named Sue and CFFF like this.
  11. Bill Sheehan

Bill Sheehan Strat-Talker

Thanks to all, for your help and advice! This situation has now been resolved on the basis of my returning the guitar to the Seller (which has been done), and PayPal routing my refund directly into my checking account, rather than my "PayPal Cash" account on the PayPal site (which has also been done). So, in essence, I guess you could say that we have "rescinded" the original transaction, such that everyone is put back into the same position they were in immediately before I "pulled the trigger" on this several days ago. Although I liked the guitar, there was a bit of an issue with it that would have probably justified a return and refund under normal circumstances anyway (I won't go into that here). Hopefully, this will stand as a "no harm-no foul" situation, and will soon be forgotten by all concerned (at least until the old trigger finger starts getting itchy again...!!)
    Thank you guys/ladies!

12. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

glad you got out of the deal clean !

13. Nubs

Nubs Strat-O-Master

In regards to the area code, that itself shouldn’t be a concern. Voice services like google voice allow you to select any area code. For example, my main number’s area code is from when I used to live in philly (215) but my google voice’s area code is from Colorado (970). On top of all that, I live in Houston, so area codes are irrelevant anymore.

PS: OP’s situation is still definitely a scam. I was simply making a point regarding area codes.

Bill Sheehan likes this.
  14. Nerd

Nerd Strat-O-Master

I think its a recent paypal practice with freezing paypal payments. Im a paypal user since early 2000's, never had any issues as a seller and lately half my transactions is being held by paypal out of ****ing ble and for no reason. Paypal holds money for a few weeks and only then give me an access to funds. Not sure whats going on but its been a common thing lately. Maybe the seller is also tired of this ****?

Bill Sheehan likes this.
  15. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

I didn't even know Paypal had cash accounts. As far as I know, they just debit my bank account when I buy something and if returned, the put it back into my bank account.

Bill Sheehan likes this.
  16. space

space Strat-O-Master

Tell him the u have been activated and have shipped out
    Since the details of this deployment are highly confidential u dont have access to a computer and wont be back for several months

for fun
    (Sent via Satfone)
    :D

Bill Sheehan likes this.
  17. Mind Flayer

Mind Flayer Strat-Talker

Weird situation! Although it’s not weird that he had your email or phone number. I sell online all the time, and I’m usually provided with the seller’s name, address, email, and phone number, I think by reverb (i don’t sell much on ebay). That’s so the shipping company has contact info, but I think the buyer usually authorized it when they set their account up.

Bill Sheehan likes this.
  18. stevierayfan91

stevierayfan91 Deeply SHY. Strat-Talk Supporter

@Bill Sheehan

Happy you got your funds back/avoided mess with that Scammer seller :)

Bill Sheehan likes this.
  19. Stratafied

Stratafied Senior Stratmaster

Man dealing with people is pain in the ass sometimes.

Bill Sheehan, Nubs and stevierayfan91 like this.
  20. Tk_melton

Tk_melton Strat-Talk Member

There are strict rules on EBay about trading, should you proceed there may be some action taken against you by EBay if they find out.

Stratafied likes this.