Does wireless sound as good as a cable?

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Guithartic, Jan 13, 2022 at 10:42 AM.

1. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Most Honored Senior Member

I have a line 6 wireless also. G30(?)
    I have actually wasted my time doing an a/b comparison, and even funnier, wasted someone else's time making it a blind comparison. Literally, my eyes closed, someone handed me the guitar etc. Lol.
    Man I couldn't tell any difference. None.

Now there is something to it when going through my live rig setup, with pedals and effects loop and all that.
    The wireless has the smallest edge in retaining brightness. Tiny difference. For the better imho

2. dspellman

dspellman Strat-Talker

Never tried those. I have a Line 6 G90 that's excellent.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  3. dspellman

dspellman Strat-Talker

I did. And none of them use the $25 buck cheapies.

abnormaltoy and Danny D like this.
  4. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Not Of This Earth

I got the Boss thing. It was $200. Sounds fine to me.

Miotch and abnormaltoy like this.
  5. lbpesq

lbpesq Strat-O-Master

One other advantage that hasn't yet been mentioned. No one ever got a shock from the mic, let alone electrocuted, while using a wireless. Just sayin'.

Bill, tgo

6. Hanson

Hanson Senior Stratmaster

I've got the g10 as well and it sounds great. It might be cleaner than cable, in my opinion.

Miotch, abnormaltoy and heltershelton like this.
  7. StratUp

StratUp Senior Stratmaster

Freakin' tugboats. Always messing things up. There out to be a law...

Danny D likes this.
  8. StratUp

StratUp Senior Stratmaster

They all go to the concert in a limo too. I'll be driving my own aged car. And we'll both get there OK.

I'm not suggesting that the upscale wireless isn't a good thing. Nor the limo ride, especially if there is champagne. But for us average guys, sometimes lesser priced items still get the job done well.

Miotch, Danny D and nadzab like this.
  9. nadzab

nadzab Play Don't Worry Silver Member

So I've never used a wireless system, but I'm intrigued - if I'm running a pedal board, does the "receiver" unit just plug into the first pedal, where the cable from the guitar would ordinarily go? (potential dumb question acknowledged)

Miotch, abnormaltoy and duzie like this.
  10. lbpesq

lbpesq Strat-O-Master

Yes, plug it into the pedal-board where you would normally plug your cord.

I just watched this video on the Swiff Audio Wireless system. It looks intriguing as it uses the UHF frequencies used by the $400+ units rather than 2.4ghz or 5.8ghz wifi like all the other units previously mentioned.

Bill,tgo

abnormaltoy and nadzab like this.
  11. Jimbo99

Jimbo99 Strat-O-Master

These are pretty good for 3-4 hours of playing before a recharge. Strats, the clam shell output is a tight fit for the body of the Transmitter. I use a 1/4 TS male to female in between the Strat & Transmitter. They were about what a Fender instrument cord costs. Be gentle with them & they'll last. Yank them out & they probably won't last as long. 4 channels & they find themselves. These are the 730Mhz bandwidth.

[​IMG]

abnormaltoy likes this.
  12. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy Mouth draggin' knuckle breather

Maybe try thinking of it as tone modification rather than tone suck.

In this rig rundown the guitar tech explains the guitarist uses a specific length of a particular brand of cable to roll of some highs...

I use 35 feet of really nice cable (a 20' and a 15') to me it sounds better than my last wireless.

Stonetone likes this.
  13. dspellman

dspellman Strat-Talker

Neal Schon of Journey uses (used?) a Lectrasonics wireless. The receiver is a rack unit back in the backline, but he runs two 50' lengths of Mogami cable to and from his pedalboard to cut the highs a bit.

In terms of tone modification, you might want to look up the early Schaffer-Vega Diversity wireless as used by AC/DC on albums like Back in Black. They used these things instead of pedals in the studio (and on the albums) and, of course, live. Schaffer designed it to boost low-mid range frequencies usually lost in wireless transmission, as well as to compand (compress then expand) the signal, thus providing the added side effect of enhancing the instrument’s tone. Everyone seemed to use those things back in the late '70's, both live and in the studio.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  14. abnormaltoy

Those unit are being reissued now...or are they? Solo-Dallas or something. Not as wireless unit, but as stom pboxes tp approximate the way they affected tone.

I just looked and they are Schaffer repros.

I might like to get one someday.

https://solodallas.com/

Stonetone likes this.
  15. dspellman

dspellman Strat-Talker

I use a Helix out front, and when I'm using it with a Variax guitar, I'll usually use the VDI cable from the Variax to the Helix, and then put the wireless transmitter on the OUTPUT side of the Helix, which sends it back to the receiver in the rack on the amp. It means I'm not moving around a whole lot (they like it when I'm on a leash), but it also eliminates a couple of expensive cables running back and forth across the stage. A particular bass player I've worked with seems to be adept at snagging those cables on his and everyone else's pedalboards, so that's my solution. The sound guys are plugging into the Helix to get a feed for the mixer, but those cables usually run across the front of the stage and are out of his (literal) stomping grounds.

If you're working with something like a Pod HD or a rack-mount modeler, you can leave it in the backline while you run the cheap ethernet cable across the stage to the FBV Shortboard down front. With that setup, you can leave the receiver in the backline and run a very short cable into the modeler. The ethernet cable only carries switching information, so there's no issue with capacitance, etc. I usually run a pair of ethernet cables, in fact, with one simply a standby in case the main one gets yanked and/or destroyed. Extra pedals can be left in a rack drawer in the backline and connected to the rack modeler back there; if you've done your work with user presets well, you can activate them when needed from the Shortboard.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  16. dspellman

dspellman Strat-Talker

They're a bit expensive if you get the "tower" version...$1500.
    There are $300 pedals that are promoted to sound the same, but...

abnormaltoy likes this.
  17. dspellman

dspellman Strat-Talker

If you're mostly in a bedroom, they certainly do.
    They work pretty well in practice rooms as well.

The rechargeable batteries do tail off over time, and they put a bit of extra force on the output jack of your guitars.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  18. abnormaltoy

The tower would be kind of a pita to mount on a pedal board.
    Like I said earlier maybe one of these days but as for now I've got dirt boxes aplenty.

19. north east al

north east al Strat-Talker

I have the Ammoon system. For home use it's ideal. Never notice much loss of tone, or lag. Maybe a touch volume, but it's home use. For the cost of two good quality cables it's ideal. I switched back to cable for a bit but prefer the lack of cabling at home. Straight into my pedal board with two cables leading to my two Amps.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  20. Jimbo99

Jimbo99 Strat-O-Master

Totally wireless from Guitar to pedal board to amp Input, you'll need 2 paired sets.

Guitar Output Jack = Transmitter #1
    1st Pedal Input Jack = Receiver #1
    Last Pedal Output Jack = Transmitter #2
    Amp Input = Receiver #2

abnormaltoy and AxemanVR like this.