Dog lovers - warning - re: offshore treats

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Deafsoundguy, Apr 28, 2020.

1. Deafsoundguy

Deafsoundguy CERTIFIED HACK Silver Member

Hey guys, I know there's a lot of dog lovers like me on the forums. Trying to get the word out for any that care about your pups.

I know many of you may already know about the crap they put in dog treats coming from foreign countries. Most are from....wait for it.... China!!! WHoda thunk it? It was in the news some years ago, repeatedly - that there were a lot of recalls from some of these manufacturers because thankfully someone somewhere tested out what was actually inside these little poisonous shoe leather strips and found all sorts of horrible crap.

I have a first hand (okay well second hand) story about this. My sister in-law has 3 little dogs. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that a tiny dog has way less chance of surviving poison than a larger dog. Her dogs are/were like 3lbs, 4lbs, and about 8lbs. Her mom bought a ton of these, in this case Chinese made treats to lay all over the house so anytime they wanted to chew on something they could gnaw on one of those little ultra processed rawhide pieces of garbage. According to her, they didn't chew on them too much, holding out for dinner. Not too long afterward they started getting sick, really sick. Vet did lots of $$$ tests, and told them that their kidneys were toast. One pup was less than 2 years old. Asked about treats and she told them that they the pups always had lots of treats laying around. Vet said GET RID OF ALL YOUR FOREIGN MADE TREATS NOW. They did, but the damage was done. A slow and painful death, the 2 smallest dogs succumbed within a year after tons of kidney treatments and a lot of dough. The biggest of the 3 survived but has a damaged kidneys and probably will not live an extended life.

Sister in-law calls distributor of dog treats. Tells head guy (who instantly becomes a world class A$$hole) what happened and he tells her that if he sees any pictures or talks to anyone about this he will sue her. Unfortunately I cannot name the distributor from California due to the obvious.

DONT be misled by Distributed by, or Packed by, etc. You have to look very closely and see where it's actually MADE. So they'll say on the front USA in big letters, and then in smaller letters "packaged in USA, and then somewhere else, Made in blankity blank. Most are made in China, some Vietnam, some Mexico, or some other Asian or south American country.

Now then, since some people are getting the drift of how bad some of these treats are, I've come to understand that some of these companies are getting so sneaky that they disguise how they do it. A company here ships off American byproducts all the way to an Asian country, it then gets processed there, and then shipped all the way back to the US where they say American made but it's only correct in the fact that the initial ingredients came from the US. The bad stuff is then used in processing and that's the stuff that makes for a sick animal. I was at Fred Meyers the other day and went through the entire pet treat section - not one single treat was made in the US except for I think, Milk Bones.

We've always been super anal about dog treats, and always buy ONLY American made ones. Unfortunately they are expensive, but obviously worth it if you love your pets. We always pay the price and get real honest US made treats and our pups are fine. Before all this happened we bought some rawhide little rolled up things for our pups and everytime our 25lb pups would get milkshake poops. That stopped the second we bought US treats....

Do you love your pets? Buy the good stuff! Their poops tell the story. No not Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.

Schnauzer Yetis.jpg

Deathray, Nubs, vlxerdon and 9 others like this.
  2. stevierayfan91

stevierayfan91 DEEPLY SHY.

Hi, @Deafsoundguy -Buddy

Very good and important post.

I work with rescue doggies & will check on our treats.

3. Seamus OReally

Seamus OReally Mr. Serious Gold Supporting Member

My wife used to work for the Humane Society. We've been hip to the trip on Chinese treats for years.

When you think about the crap the Chinese will dump in products for human consumption, you know that what they're feeding to dogs is twice as bad.

Tell the story all you want. They won't sue... they haven't got a case.

4. Boubou

Boubou Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Can’t deal with the wall of text but I always make sure they are made in Canada or the US

5. mad axe man

mad axe man Senior Stratmaster

BIG thanks for the update....stay safe IMG_6388.JPG

Deathray, Nubs, Stonetone and 7 others like this.
  6. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Do it or screw it.

That's terrible. I never buy Chinese treats, but I worry about buying from other countries, too.

I cook chicken liver for my dogs. It isn't actually that gross. It smells like chicken when you're cooking it.

They love it more than anything in the world.

7. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast

Thanks for the red flag!

I will check out cat edibles, but they eat medicinal food, so that should be OK.

Deafsoundguy and 3bolt79 like this.
  8. Lone Woof

Lone Woof Senior Stratmaster

Good tip. I always look to make sure no treats are MIC. I would not put it past them to use dog meat in their dog treats.

After “all this” going on now, suspect China is going to see a huge drop in American purchases of ALL their products. I know I’m avoiding anything made there if I can.

9. myredstrat

myredstrat Senior Stratmaster

would only give our frenchie liver bites either Canadian or American made for treats
    of course my wife also gave her hotdogs ;)

Deafsoundguy likes this.
  10. ukoldgit

ukoldgit Most Honored Senior Member

So do I, makes the best Pate and is great in stir fry's;)

11. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

12. dublindave8456

dublindave8456 Senior Stratmaster

thanks for the info......

from Tin Tin........

Deafsoundguy likes this.
  13. Boubou

Boubou Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Kif died several years ago of a mysterious disease, I was giving the dogs chicken jerky from Costco, Made in China.
    Not long after that it made the news, I think it was melamine in there to “boost” the apparent protein contents.
    Obviously, as I have said before since then, made in Canada or the USA . I spend a lot of time reading labels before I buy dog or cat treats
    RIP buddy
    upload_2020-4-29_7-33-28.jpeg
    upload_2020-4-29_7-33-50.jpeg

mad axe man, Nubs and Deafsoundguy like this.
  14. Mech

Mech Strat-O-Master

Facts! My neighbor's Cane Corso's were doing the same thing (milkshakes). We trashed that crap fast. Everything is good and "solid" now.

Deafsoundguy likes this.
  15. henderman

henderman Dr. Stratster

poop is always one of the best indicators of one's condition.

commerce is a form of fraud but we need the money and the stuff so it will get worse every day said captain obvious.

most people would pick instant wealth over anything else so it is time to grow our own shizz...

Nubs and ukoldgit like this.
  16. fos1

fos1 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Thank you for the good info. We are very selective about the food and treats we let Dolcie ingest. Everything is either made in the US or Canada. We always check with our vet to make sure there are no issues.

Dolcie is a member of the family.

fos1

Deafsoundguy likes this.
  17. tubetone1956

tubetone1956 Strat-O-Master

Bad Treats!? No way! Thanks for the heads up! 829.JPG

mad axe man, Nubs and Deafsoundguy like this.
  18. tubetone1956

tubetone1956 Strat-O-Master

[QUOTE="Deafsoundguy, post: 3909786, member: 75757"... head guy (who instantly becomes a world class A$$hole)...

255.JPG ....maybe we should pay him a visit...

Mech, Nubs, ukoldgit and 1 other person like this.
  19. StratSounds

StratSounds Senior Stratmaster

I believe Canada has even higher standards for dog food and treats than the U.S.

Deafsoundguy likes this.
  20. ukoldgit

ukoldgit Most Honored Senior Member

We have a small factory just up the road from us that produces proper dog food & treats, they are quite happy to show you around the premises and explain how it's sourced and produced and guess what, it's all licenced for human consumption.
    https://honeysrealdogfood.com/

Deafsoundguy likes this.