Don't neglect your Telecaster

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Handsome McClane, Nov 14, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Bladesg

Bladesg Funk Meister Silver Member

I don't treat any of my guitars as though they're competing against each other so they all get played often including the Teles.

BuddyHollywood likes this.
  2. felis

felis Senior Stratmaster

Yes, many years the 'Breezy' was my favorite. :D

[​IMG]

3. Mouse

Mouse The Knees of Rock

When I was selling off most of my collection, I was surprised when I continued to “Sophie’s Choice” my Tele. Maybe I shouldn’t have been surprised. It fills a sonic space that my other guitars didn’t and I couldn’t bring myself to part with it.

4. telepraise

telepraise Strat-Talker

Try Boostrap pickups. GREAT sounding and inexpensive for experimenting. I'm loving his Palo Duro's.

5. White Dog

White Dog Strat-Talker

Agree 100%
    Though I DO spend some time in the Studio right now, it's either to work on a guitar or right now I'm playing a lot of my Guild through the Acoustasonic Junior.
    Otherwise, I've got a lot to do outdoors before winter hits. Winter is brutal in Iowa, and I'll be in that Studio more than I even want to be---and I will play all three of my Telecasters a lot I'm sure.

6. rafasounds

rafasounds Senior Stratmaster

I have to be honest. Do I love it? Yes, sure. Does it sound good? Definitely, yes. Does it have a special place in my heart? Yes, for sure. I'm never parting with it.

It's not usually what I pick up most of the time, except when I need it for its specific qualities. It's very heavy, and I'm not particularly fond of the big block of wood constanly on my ribs. It's got a very big neck, which I don't prefer these days. The maple fretboard has a thick coat which doesn't make it the most favorable for the type of playing I'm most into.

It's resonant. It's clear sounding. Very good for chords, clean work. It gets mean with overdrive. Very good for rockabilly/early rock stuff which doesn't include lots of bends, finger vibrato etc. It sounds very well in tune even with the vintage uncompensated saddles. It's as constant as as constant gets. Stays in tune forever. Very very stable. Neck has never moved a fraction of a milimiter even with crazy weather variation.

It is what it is, and I love it for what it is.

DSC01048.JPG

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
  7. chipbutty

chipbutty Strat-Talk Member

Here’s mine. Still fall in love every time I pick it up.

upload_2020-11-16_8-26-18.jpeg

8. telepraise

telepraise Strat-Talker

To me, part of that organic grit and power of the tele is because the strings are anchored to the body instead of a metal tremelo block. Couple that with a big metal bridge plate and you've got power and definition. The strat has got it's own signature sound that's indispensable and tough to imitate. You just gotta have both IMO. I will admit my strat spoils me on comfort, so my last partscaster got a belly cut.
    P1020589.jpg P1020593.jpg

9. kjatexas

kjatexas Strat-Talk Member

The new guitar, is ALWAYS the favorite.

10. BlurgyWurgyWibble

BlurgyWurgyWibble Strat-O-Master

I don't have a telecaster. Which makes me kinda sad because, as far as I can tell, it is the only guitar you actually need.

11. Murphcaster

Murphcaster Senior Stratmaster

What's a Telecaster?? :sneaky: ;)

12. Handsome McClane

Handsome McClane Strat-O-Master Silver Member

I agree. The Tele and Strat are completely different animals and you should have at least one of each. Different tones, different feel, but both excellent in their own right.

Tele was interesting because I loved it from the moment I picked it up, loved it more when I plugged it in. I got my first Strat after that and it took me about a month to figure out how to play it and then I fell in love. Now I've got three Teles and two Strats. If you've got one and not the other, you should give the other a shot at some point, 'cause you'll be missing out.

13. nobody

nobody New Member!

I don't think there is anything in the world more beautiful than a butterscotch tele...

jtoomuch and BuddyHollywood like this.
  14. 68strat

68strat Strat-Talk Member

My Tele gets at least half of my total playtime, out of about 15 guitars.... IMG_1662.JPG

15. jtoomuch

jtoomuch Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

That's beautiful. I really want one again.

Chicago Matt likes this.
  16. jtoomuch

jtoomuch Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Agreed.

nobody likes this.
  17. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Senior Stratmaster

Up until this month my 60s Baja was getting a bit neglected. I don't use it in either band I'm in, but lately I've been using it for practice at home and at church now.

Definitely has a different sound & feel than all my other guitars. It fights back.

[​IMG]

18. lukido86

lukido86 Strat-Talker

This is my one and only Tele, I do not feel the need for another one (that's different for strats, I don't know why lol).

A mexican roadworn with upgraded pickups, electronics and saddles.

It gets played very often.

IMG_20200704_093448.jpg

chipbutty and BuddyHollywood like this.
  19. Stevn

Stevn Strat-Talker

Yep. You are correct. The Tele is terrific! I have an American Player in black. The pickups make it more awesome!
    Yours is beautiful!

20. BuddyHollywood

BuddyHollywood Strat-O-Master

I played one that looks just like yours at a Guitar Center about a year ago and I immediately bonded with it. The purple only helped. I didn't have the funds at the time but I remember thinking about that guitar for months after. If I did have the $ it would have been an immediate impulse buy. Everything about it was perfect.