Don't talk, don't text, don't ruin the movie

Believer7713

The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein
Silver Member
Dec 27, 2016
KC
Mrs.B and I went to see The Black Phone today. Gotta say that I was surprisingly drawn in all the way through. There were some things that I think were just added in for shock value but overall a very well made psychological thriller IMO.
The only real issue we had was that my wife can be easily distracted by simple things when she is trying to concentrate. So when the couple sitting next to us wanted to "whisper" a conversation through the first half hour of the movie...By "whisper" I mean talk about a lot of nothing about the movie but what she was looking at on her phone...my wife didn't hesitate to lean over and sternly let them know that she could hear every word that they were saying instead of the movie that we all paid to see.
I, on the other hand can normally tune that kind of crap out, lots of practice from having partial hearing loss from years of ear abuse, so I didn't hardly even realize she even said anything.
After Mrs. B snapped and popped they flew straight for the rest of the flick. Thankfully so too because I really don't like causing a scene but will if needed to.
The funny part of the whole thing was that once the movie was over and the exit music started those two jumped out of their seats and were the first out the door even though they were the farthest from the door. They bothe were like George Castanza in the retirement home during the fire drill.
I was half expecting to get into a bit of a tussle on the way out and kept looking around but they were nowhere to be seen. I guess that was that.

There is a reason why they put that clip on the screen before a show. Though I still find it amazing how self absorbed we have become as a populace that people will pay upward of $30 for two movie tix to jack leg on their phones in a dark theater instead of be in the moment and just disengage from cyber life that's about as real as the fictitious story we are trying to watch. Screw with the dad-blamed phones when it's appropriate, not in a theater or behind the wheel!!

Ok sorry about that and thanks for the opportunity to vent a little.
Rant over now.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled program of laughs and fun.

JJ119

Senior Stratmaster
Jul 15, 2020
Mid West
We just got home from seeing the latest
Jurassic Park movie.
At the theater we can pick our seats form a screen showing unpicked seats.
We pick middle seats so there is more of a chance of no one next to us.
There are 4 and 5 Seat rows.
If we go to a theater that doesn't sell like that, we pick a 4 Row, and sit in the middle.

Believer7713

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2016
KC
We just got home from seeing the latest
Jurassic Park movie.
At the theater we can pick our seats form a screen showing unpicked seats.
We pick middle seats so there is more of a chance of no one next to us.
There are 4 and 5 Seat rows.
If we go to a theater that doesn't sell like that, we pick a 4 Row, and sit in the middle.
We always pick our seats early and pay on advance too. Sometimes you just get that couple that wants to just be that couple. These two looked like they were in their 40s too so I was kind of surprised a little.

Triple Jim

Guy Who Likes to Play Guitar
Silver Member
Feb 27, 2018
North Carolina
I've been to many movies in theaters, and I understand the big screen and live audience reactions, but I've had enough and I'm fine with seeing them in the comfort of my house, with beer if I want, and pausing when I need to use the little boy's room or go make another batch of popcorn.

Believer7713

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2016
KC
I've been to many movies in theaters, but I've had enough and I'm fine with seeing them in the comfort of my house, with beer if I want, and pausing when I need to use the little boy's room.
We had beers too. I just don't drink that much anymore. Normally while watching a flick at home we will share a bottle of wine.

JJ119

Senior Stratmaster
Jul 15, 2020
Mid West
I've been to many movies in theaters, and I understand the big screen and live audience reactions, but I've had enough and I'm fine with seeing them in the comfort of my house, with beer if I want, and pausing when I need to use the little boy's room.

They serve Beer & some pre mixed Margaritas, and some wines here.

Bowmap

Redacted
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 23, 2017
S-T
that once the movie was over and the exit music started those two jumped out of their seats and were the first out the door even though they were the farthest from the door. They bothe were like George Castanza in the retirement home during the fire drill.

Can I borrow Mrs. B? Dang what did she say? 'I can hear everything you two are talking about and I am an axe murderer?' LOL.

Believer7713

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2016
KC
Can I borrow Mrs. B? Dang what did she say? 'I can hear everything you two are talking about and I am an axe murderer?' LOL.
Let's just say that she can get a point across quite well. Lol
She doesn't need to act like an axe murderer either. We are definitely opposite sides of the coin but a great balance.

Boubou

Senior Stratmaster
Gold Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2009
Montreal
While I totally agree with you, “being in the moment” IS being on their phone for some people

Baelzebub

Dr. Stratster
Nov 1, 2019
State of Disbelief
Mrs.B and I went to see The Black Phone today. Gotta say that I was surprisingly drawn in all the way through. There were some things that I think were just added in for shock value but overall a very well made psychological thriller IMO.
The only real issue we had was that my wife can be easily distracted by simple things when she is trying to concentrate. So when the couple sitting next to us wanted to "whisper" a conversation through the first half hour of the movie...By "whisper" I mean talk about a lot of nothing about the movie but what she was looking at on her phone...my wife didn't hesitate to lean over and sternly let them know that she could hear every word that they were saying instead of the movie that we all paid to see.
I, on the other hand can normally tune that kind of crap out, lots of practice from having partial hearing loss from years of ear abuse, so I didn't hardly even realize she even said anything.
After Mrs. B snapped and popped they flew straight for the rest of the flick. Thankfully so too because I really don't like causing a scene but will if needed to.
The funny part of the whole thing was that once the movie was over and the exit music started those two jumped out of their seats and were the first out the door even though they were the farthest from the door. They bothe were like George Castanza in the retirement home during the fire drill.
I was half expecting to get into a bit of a tussle on the way out and kept looking around but they were nowhere to be seen. I guess that was that.

There is a reason why they put that clip on the screen before a show. Though I still find it amazing how self absorbed we have become as a populace that people will pay upward of $30 for two movie tix to jack leg on their phones in a dark theater instead of be in the moment and just disengage from cyber life that's about as real as the fictitious story we are trying to watch. Screw with the dad-blamed phones when it's appropriate, not in a theater or behind the wheel!!

Rant over now.

It's not important what people experience. What's important is how many people know they did a thing. By the time they're done making sure of that, they've missed whatever it was.

Believer7713

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2016
KC
While I totally agree with you, “being in the moment” IS being on their phone for some people
But, is it really? That phone will be there when the flick is over. Enjoy something a bit different for 2 hours. It really isn't that long and is more being in the moment without being rude.

Wound_Up

You can call me Duane 😁
Jan 23, 2020
NW LA

Rant over now.

I'm on your wife's team on this one lol. I'd have said something, also lol. Or it would've bugged me the entire time and I would've just gotten more and more aggravated until I flipped out an hour into the movie 🤣 or I'd have started being passive-aggressive towards them

Believer7713

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2016
KC
I'm on your wife's team on this one lol. I'd have said something, also lol. Or it would've bugged me the entire time and I would've just gotten more and more aggravated until I flipped out an hour into the movie 🤣 or I'd have started being passive-aggressive towards them
I am very much on her side too. I've had to do the same thing before and would have for her if I would have known about it but she never said anything to me; just to them. Neither one of us are very passive aggressive. We both will call people out pretty quickly if something someone does isn't right. I will instantly go into protector mode until I know we are clear of the situation when it happens though. Which means from that point on, until we arrived home, I was watching the entire time. Not nervous at all, just ready to protect the love of my life.:)

Eric_G

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 10, 2021
Quebec
I feel your wife’s pain, @Believer7713…. I never understood people who gets in long discussion in a movie. It’s a movie, aren’t you supposed to be in listening mode ?

I can agree with the occasional quick one liner for a good joke or story line comment, but full fledge conversation doesn’t belong in a theatre.

Here are my top 3 horrible movie experience:

#3: I live in a bilingual country, but not everyone speaks/understand English and French. A youngster behind me didn’t understand English and had his friend translate every lines to French. I literally watch that movie in both language…. Original English version and the poorly translated one…

#2: Recently went to see a movie and a dude in diagonal to us, about two rows up needed to vape…. I was getting puff of vape cloud and that horrible perfume smell the entire movie.

#1: we have VIP format, cost twice the price, but with larger comfy seats that rocks a little if you lean with weight into them. Comes with diner/bar service at your seat with a little sliding table. Girl in front of us sat down and kept rocking her seat like if it was a rocking chair. At first I didn’t care, we were simply enjoying our meals during the previews. Lights went down and the main feature started, that idiots didn’t stop rocking and all I could see was that constant head motion in the corner of my eye and hear the little squeaky noise of the seat. I politely leaned over to ask her to stop explaining that from behind that was distracting. She told me that she was paying extra to be able to rock her seat and that was her right….

I ended up putting both of my feet behind her seat and gave her the rocking of her life, when she turned around, I told her I was paying extra to exercise my legs and that’s was my right. To be honest, I didn’t enjoy the first half of the flick, but after a while she quit and I could stop my quads pushes.

Believer7713

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2016
KC
I feel your wife’s pain, @Believer7713…. I never understood people who gets in long discussion in a movie. It’s a movie, aren’t you supposed to be in listening mode ?

I can agree with the occasional quick one liner for a good joke or story line comment, but full fledge conversation doesn’t belong in a theatre.

Here are my top 3 horrible movie experience:

#3: I live in a bilingual country, but not everyone speaks/understand English and French. A youngster behind me didn’t understand English and had his friend translate every lines to French. I literally watch that movie in both language…. Original English version and the poorly translated one…

#2: Recently went to see a movie and a dude in diagonal to us, about two rows up needed to vape…. I was getting puff of vape cloud and that horrible perfume smell the entire movie.

#1: we have VIP format, cost twice the price, but with larger comfy seats that rocks a little if you lean with weight into them. Comes with diner/bar service at your seat with a little sliding table. Girl in front of us sat down and kept rocking her seat like if it was a rocking chair. At first I didn’t care, we were simply enjoying our meals during the previews. Lights went down and the main feature started, that idiots didn’t stop rocking and all I could see was that constant head motion in the corner of my eye and hear the little squeaky noise of the seat. I politely leaned over to ask her to stop explaining that from behind that was distracting. She told me that she was paying extra to be able to rock her seat and that was her right….

I ended up putting both of my feet behind her seat and gave her the rocking of her life, when she turned around, I told her I was paying extra to exercise my legs and that’s was my right. To be honest, I didn’t enjoy the first half of the flick, but after a while she quit and I could stop my quads pushes.
Gotta say that I would have had issues in all three of those too. From the back side of #3 though, I gotta say that one made me laugh a bit and though I would be annoyed at the time I would find it a bit amusing to talk about later.
#2 would have been kicked out of the theater if he would have done it again after I told him to stop...it's illegal to vape indoors here...still categorized as smoking. I would have had the staff, or the onsite off duty officer, remove him.
#1. I would have handled close to the same way. That is, until she told me that she was exercising her right to rock because she paid for it. I would have reminded her that she paid for the "right" to watch a movie in a bit of luxury as did all the rest of the people in the theater. Instead her "right to be an ass" is now impeding the rights of everyone else that paid the same amount of money as her and she doesn't have that "right".
I guess you could have bought the endless popcorn, like I normally do, and started tossing it in her hair. When she tried to call you out your answer would be, "I paid for endless popcorn. If I choose to throw it out with the trash it would be MY right."
Not saying you should do that or anything but that's just how my mind works sometimes. Lol