Double NGD (Epiphone DC Pro/Prophecy SG)

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by TimJ, Jan 8, 2021.

1. TimJ

TimJ Strat-O-Master

I've always been a Gibson snob and looked down on Epiphone as "beginner guitars" or what you get when you can't afford the real thing.

Yes, I was that much of a marketing victim.

But I swallowed my pride (stupidity) and I got these because:

• The DC Pro looks to me like it's trying to be its own thing rather than just a more inexpensive Gibbo copy.
    • You can of course argue that it's instead trying to be a PRS with that "shiny not-quite-a-24-fret-Les-Paul" vibe, but hey.
    • Plus I've never had a guitar that has wiring to put the pickups out of phase (this last factoid brought to you courtesy of DesperateNewFeatureJustifications.com)

• For the SG, the big appeal was to try the Fishman Fluence pickups - yeah I know I'm behind the curve with this and they're not "new", but they basically claim to be the latest pickup Swiss army knife, with hot and vintage humbucker voicings as well as simulated coil splits.
    • And there's shiny blue inlays.

[​IMG]

2. dublindave8456

dublindave8456 Strat-O-Master

the sg is a beauty !!!

Nick-O likes this.
  3. JDug

JDug Strat-Talker

Very, very nice! Wow!
    The Epi to me has a nice Yamaha/almost PRS vibe to it, what a beauty! I like it alot!!!
    SG nice too

4. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist

Ooohhhhh! Those look nice. Especially that SG! How does it sound and feel?

Happy New Guitar Day!

5. stormsedge

stormsedge Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

HNGDx2!!

6. Stonetone

Stonetone Senior Stratmaster

The Prophecy Line up is top notch in terms of price performance :thumb:

7. TimJ

TimJ Strat-O-Master

Thanks! I've only been able to pick either of them up for 5 minutes so far as I'm technically "at work" at the moment - I didn't try either before I bought them online as I'd read good things from trusted sources, and if the worst came to the worst then I could just sell them on.

But the initial quick tryouts have been positive.

For the SG specifically, I need to play around with the pickup combos a lot more, but the controls are intuitive in terms of the selection of "hot" v "vintage" settings and split coil v humbucker (basically push pull pots on the tone and volume) and there are definite differences, it's not just a case of "things to click on and off for the sake of it". The fretwork is good.

Whilst one can argue the merits of different fretboard woods to death (and indeed many do) in terms of tone, I think the difference in feel is probably clearer, and the ebony on this SG does feel smoother than the rosewood on my other SGs - not better or worse, just smoother. Anyway, needs a lot more breaking in but those are the first thoughts...

Cerb likes this.
  8. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Strat-Talker

TimJ, I'm glad you took a closer look at Epiphone, because they are doing a good job of turning out some nice quality guitars at a price most people can afford. To me, it's just like what's going on in the Fender line. There will always be the American made guitars, but the overall quality of the MIM guitars is excellent, and even Squier has a few series that are punching above their weight.

Are there differences? Sure, but in the end, if it's about finding a guitar that feels right to you, has the quality that someone needs and can afford, and gives you the sound that you have in your head . . . well then, it's all good.

Congrats on you new DC and SG!

9. Nick-O

Nick-O Senior Stratmaster

I've had Fishman on a couple of guitars and they are fantastic. Didn't work with my Line 6 wireless, but they're worth a cable!
    Is the SG a narrow neck, at the nut? Looks great in the picture. Congrats!

10. TimJ

TimJ Strat-O-Master

thanks! According to the SG specs on the Epiphone site:

Nut Width
    1.69" / 43mm
    End of Board Width
    2.26" / 57.35mm

Nick-O likes this.
  11. shupe13

shupe13 Senior Stratmaster

Congrats x 2!!