duet in Eb

Discussion in 'MyMusic Forum' started by of this world, Sep 21, 2021.

1. of this world

of this world Senior Stratmaster

this one starts to atavise (it's not a word, dont worry) back to my noise fest days long before i knew any of you'ns... i apologize in advance..

MrClint, duzie, CigBurn and 5 others like this.
  2. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

I have some de-atavising grease here if you want some. Not sure if you apply it to the guitar or the guitarist though...

Omar, Groovey and of this world like this.
  3. dvqc1

dvqc1 Strat-Talker

Sorry guy but I am a songwriter and have written more than 300 songs, not all of them always good but even the bad ones sound better than this. I can't honestly tell if you are a good guitarist or not based on the now 2 postings I have listened to. Try recording a straight recording of you playing the blues or something.

4. dogletnoir

dogletnoir V----V

"Better', 'bad', and 'good' are relativistic terms, and in order for them to have any real meaning/validity,
    we'd need to know the metric by which you determine such things.
    And even then, that metric would only have ultimate validity for you and for other folks who think the same way
    and use a similar metric.
    Obviously, not everyone here thinks the same way or uses the same metric... which does keep things interesting
    from time to time.
    Maybe even more than another recording of some standard blues licks over a I IV V would be for some of us.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
    rgbedard, CigBurn, Mouse and 3 others like this.
  5. of this world

to what end? your appraisal of my skills that i didnt ask for? feel free to judge me based on the material i've already provided. (it's kind of a lot)

Nate D, SonOfLerome, CigBurn and 6 others like this.
  6. Kerry Brown

Kerry Brown Senior Stratmaster

I’ve listened to enough of Monte’s stuff to know he is a much better player than me. Much of his music is hard to listen to because his sense of melody is very different from mine. That does not mean it is bad or that I don’t like it. He is pretty much always playing over the chords. I always listen to what he posts because it is very different from what I would do so I always learn something new.

Omar, stratobiker, fezz parka and 2 others like this.
  7. Groovey

Groovey Dr. Stratster

I just wish I could be as prolific as Monte. What he makes is 100% better than mine. Which is nothing. I literally don't have the time in a day to listen to all he posts. I catch what I can.

That said, perhaps de atavise and throw some pompetous on it.

Omar, stratobiker and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  8. Eric_G

Eric_G Strat-O-Master

Yep that pretry much qualify as a great occasion NOT to post.. enjoy the rest of your day !

Omar, stratobiker and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  9. Thrup'ny Bit

There's more to life than the boring blues and playing what other people think we should play. I find a lot of what he does inspiring.

CigBurn, Omar, stratobiker and 2 others like this.
  10. Groovey

Groovey Dr. Stratster

Inspiring for sure. Improv, from the heart, avant garde.... The music just comes.

CigBurn, Omar, stratobiker and 2 others like this.
  11. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

Let's hear you.;)

Then maybe your opinion might float. Or it might sink. I have a feeling...

12. stratobiker

stratobiker Senior Stratmaster

I’ve been following Monte’s playing for quite a while. He can play blues, he can follow form and play changes, and sometimes he just plays and let’s his heart and ears take him. He’s always interesting an inspiring to listen to. His passion for music always shines through. I suggest listening a little closer with an open mind.

Thrup'ny Bit, CigBurn, Omar and 2 others like this.
  13. dvqc1

dvqc1 Strat-Talker

Honestly I have a very open mind when it comes to music I just honestly can't call what he posted a song but instead more of experimenting. I used to do the same thing about 20 years ago when I got a multi-effect pedal with a loop function. I suggested a Blues song simply because you can tell a lot about someone's playing style by listening to how they play Blues. My comment was only saying that it lacked a certain amount of structure to be a song and that is true with both things I listened to. I would love to hear him play something because it appears he has a great imagination musical but it is hard to gauge based on the 2 ditties I heard. Crucify me for having an opinion.

14. Eric_G

Eric_G Strat-O-Master

Your post included nothing of what you are now presenting. If you look back, you positionned yourself as a reference with 300 songs, as a better player with your worst work being better than Monte's track. Tried to evaluate his playing skills and suggested blues to better allow you, as an expert, to evaluate his guitar playing ability...

Now for a wake up call, Monte positioned his track as something he did when he was experimenting (his noise fest days), a while ago (before he knew any of us) and most importantly never ask for opinions or advice...

From where I stand this was a look back at a previous recording, with an apology as it doesn't represent at all what he can do now. How you missed that and decide to respond the way you did is what baffles me...

Anyway, glad to see you have an open mind, I guess you'll have other opportunity to demonstrate that...

15. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

Here's a sample of what I do over one chord. It's not a "song" either. Has to have lyrical content to be a "song". ;)

I've heard everyone who has commented or liked in this thread play. They all can play. Your turn. Talk is cheap.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
  16. of this world

you could follow any one of the two you listened to back to my soundcloud page to listen to dozens and dozens more... nobody crucified you. i didnt use a multi-effect pedal and loop. that's two separate improvised lines.

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  17. CigBurn

CigBurn Total Hack

Ahh.. the crit equivalent to "you'd be prettier if you smiled more".

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  18. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

All hat...no cattle.

He got up there all by himself.

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  19. heltershelton

heltershelton Vivamus libero Vivamus duris

post up something youve done, or go away.

20. Thrup'ny Bit

It doesn't matter if Monte pounds crap out of his guitar with a hammer, it will still be an original performance, whether you get it or not. You're a young chap aren't you? You still have much to learn.

Omar likes this.