Join Strat-Talk Today

Dumb Overdrive Pedal Questions

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by Rojbo, Jul 20, 2018.

1. Rojbo

Rojbo Strat-Talk Member

Okay, here goes. Relatively new to the guitar world, playing an American Special Stratocaster through an Orange Crush Pro 60 combo amp. Been researching overdrive pedals lately, digging the Boss OD-3, and Blues Driver pedals. Here are my questions: Are pedals primarily designed for tube amps? My amp has a dirty channel already. Would an overdrive pedal make much difference, or would I be wasting my money?

hornpiper and circles like this.
  2. jaybones

jaybones Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I believe over drive pedals were originally designed to over drive preamp TUBES.

Not to say they can only be used on tube amps, and if the Orange already has a drive channel you may not need one.

However, it might be interesting to use one and fiddle with the settings on both.

Rastus and circles like this.
  3. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Overdrive pedals still add distortion to a clean channel solid state amp.
    Quality of sound depends on your pedal and amp. Never liked the boss blues driver, but others love it.

Namelyguitar likes this.
  4. Rojbo

Rojbo Strat-Talk Member

Thanks. Good to know. I like my dirty channel on my amp. Just looking to explore a little.

5. Rojbo

Rojbo Strat-Talk Member

Looks like I would use an overdrive pedal on the clean channel, and basically end up with two different dirty channels.

nuculer terrist likes this.
  6. GunMonkeyINTL

GunMonkeyINTL Senior Stratmaster

That’s true.
    Your OD pedal and your amp’s drive channel probably add gain to the signal via different circuits.

You may find you prefer one over the other.

Namelyguitar likes this.
  7. AxemanVR

AxemanVR I appreciate, therefore I am... Strat-Talk Supporter

`
    A good OD pedal can add a different flavor to your pushed-amp sound.

It can give a decent crunch sound a little more juice to send it into the "brown sound" zone - smooth, warm, sustaining and, most importantly, harmonically pleasing.

There are countless OD pedals out there, but you can't hardly go wrong with a "Tube Screamer" type OD.

If you're on a budget, I suggest trying Behringer's TO800 pedal. For around $20 it's definitely worth a listen:

to800.jpg

I also highly recommend Voodoo Lab's "Sparkle Drive MOD"... lots of settings to suit you're needs:

sparkle.jpg

I have both of these and sometimes run my Sparkle Drive into my TO800 to further enhance the texture of my sound.

Then of course there's the original TS808:

TS808-large.jpg

...which is arguably one of the most iconic tube OD sounds in the music biz...

Good Luck!

`

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
  8. monwobobbo

monwobobbo Strat-O-Master

pedals don't always play nice with modeling amps. a clean channel on a SS amp usually takes them fairly well. keep in mind that an overdrive won't work the same with a solid state or modeling amp as t does with a tube amp.

doesn't yur amp have built in fx?

9. Rojbo

Rojbo Strat-Talk Member

No FX, just a dirty channel. I have no issues with that channel, so I may just forget it. Maybe go with a Flanger instead.

10. The-Kid

The-Kid Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Either way. IMO a nice OD to any amp is a plus. Wether you like it already or not. You will find a good OD just makes things better.

Grux likes this.
  11. himijendrix

himijendrix Senior Stratmaster

Can’t beat an Ibanez tuescreamer even if it’s not an original 808.

12. Strat-Slinger

Strat-Slinger Senior Stratmaster

If your amp has an effects loop you may want to use it... drive/dirt pedals, boost, compressors, etc.. can clip the circuit if the signal is too hot (for example, like using a tube screamer, sparkle drive, boosta grande or similar pedal)..
    the effects loop provides a safe environment with a ss amp that will take a boosted signal where if you simply go into the front of the amp... it can start clipping... and you don't want that... very bad... not good... really... you don't want the amp to clip... especially if the volume is turned up loud.. bad... bad... bad... not nice...

13. candyapple1964

candyapple1964 Senior Stratmaster

I used a jc120 roland solid state for years. A favourite sound I used was my ibanez ts9 level cranked and set the drive low. In otherwords boosting. To get the input of the jc120 to clip. It was very psychedelic at the time.

Purpose built guitar amps solid state - of they cannot handle driving the input hard they belong in the bin ;)

Solid state POWER amps if driven to clipping can tend to produce a dc like current that causes speakers to blow. Thats a diffent thing though.

14. Strat-Slinger

Strat-Slinger Senior Stratmaster

Cool... why not open the TS9 all the way ... full drive and full level going into the front of your SS amplifier... if you could report back with the result... I leaning in the direction it clips... and if it does.. I'm pretty sure you won't like what happens...

15. candyapple1964

candyapple1964 Senior Stratmaster

It was back in the 80s and my jc120 is long gone. Sadly :(

16. maqcatt

maqcatt Strat-O-Master

No reason to limit yourself to just the overdriven sound built into the amp.
    There are a lot of different flavors of dirt pedals out there. Try some and wind up with more options to use.

S Mac

Grux likes this.
  17. Grux

Grux Strat-O-Master

I have and sometimes gig this exact amp, and its killer! I use mine like you just decribed, for heavy stuff the Orange will do the job, for lighter stuff a good od pedal on the clean side is what I use. I've used many with this amp and they all sounded great. Joyo American Sound, MXR distortion III, Ts9, Ts7, and a modded Boss SD-1. I like the Tubescreamers for solo boosts, and the Joyo is great sounding and versatile. The Mxr is smoother sounding to me, and its pretty versatile as well. Try a few out, I'm also not a blues driver fan but most stores have Boss pedals you can try before you buy. Good luck, thats a great amp man and its dependable!

18. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

I'm with S Mac here. Doesn't hurt to have more choices, or to craft different sounds.

One of my personal favorite sounds to play with is to approximate what Gary Clark Jr. was doing on Numb. P90s, dirt pedal, two stages of tube distortion plus fuzz. You can't get even close without multiple stages of distortion.

flynnstone likes this.
  19. Grux

Grux Strat-O-Master

Nobody in their right mind would run a pedal that way, even to prove your point. Also the effects loop of amps are more used for time based effects, not od's. Od's almost always sound better infront of every preamp I've ever used solid state or tube. If you use common sense and use the pedal right, it ain't gonna clip...not one bit.

nickmsmith likes this.
  20. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Yeah, putting Overdrive after the amp doesn't seem right, unless you are going for a funky effect, but stranger things have worked, I guess.

Grux likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.