Dumbest guitar purchase you ever made

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Lone Woof, Oct 22, 2020.

1. keys88

keys88 Strat-Talker

My dumbest purchase was a 7 string Ibanez because my inner 14-year-old was like "dude, cool!". And immediately afterwards I realized I neither play nor listen to the kind of music that would necessitate a 7 string.

My dumbest sale was when I decided to sell my 1966 Gibson ES-330 because I wanted to buy a motorcycle. Don't have the bike anymore and I wish to this day I hadn't let that guitar go.

circles likes this.
  2. Cyberi4n

Cyberi4n Strat-Talker

Chapman Guitar, can’t remember precisely which one, think it was the recent version of the Norse thingy. Terrible guitar. Mind you, the two Adrian Smith SDX guitars I owned, the Green ones, weren’t much better either

3. r1k5tar

r1k5tar New Member!

In 1982 I was a junior in high school, and had mad lust for a new wine red LP custom in the local music store. It was an outrageous $900, and I was madly trying to save enough money to get it working my minimum wage, after school job. One day an older guy I worked with brought in a bunch of music gear to see if anyone in the office was interested in buying anything. Included was a 1969 black Strat. It had been played a lot, but was in great condition and played great. Guy wanted $300 for it (which I had at the time), but Jimmy Page didn't play a Strat so I didn't want it.

He ended up selling it to a music store, which immediately listed it for $1,500. They sold the LP long before I had the money saved, so I just kept my POS Ibanez Destroyer. Now my LP gathers dust as I exclusively play my modern, perfectly adequate Strat while pondering my own stupidity.

This still keeps me up at night.

JDug and FrieAsABird like this.
  4. everflowed

everflowed New Member!

About 20 years ago i got my first guitar, a brian moore, and I was looking for an amp, so i had the epiphany to get an line6 flextone 3 for about 1200euro as it seem very revolutionary at the moment so i can avoid pedals etc . Also it would be nice as it could cover a variety of sounds. Still have it but it really sounds funky at most models especially in low volume. When you crank it, it gets a little better but it's no volume level for an apartment.

5. JamieHenry

JamieHenry Strat-Talker

I can't think of a single guitar I regret buying. Some were experiments, and might not have worked out the way I hoped, but I did get the learning experience I was looking for. I do have major regrets from some purchases I passed on, and a couple I sold I wish I hadn't. In hindsight, stripping the original finish off of my left handed 1957 Duo-Sonic probably wasn't smart either.

circles likes this.
  6. sam_in_cali

sam_in_cali Scream for me Strat-Talk! Silver Member

Dumb purchases? No. I usually do a pretty good job researching before I make a purchase.

Now dumb trades on the other hand...Yep. Ask me about this one time I traded a '07 Gibson Flying V straight up for a Orville Les Paul Custom. :oops:

circles likes this.
  7. Gonflyn

Gonflyn Strat-Talker

Back in the 80's I had a nice Gibson Explorer that I traded in for a Kramer something or other that wasn't in the same leaque value wise.

Had a Floyd Rose and a split coil switch setup on it that was more what I wanted for what I was doing then. Bad move in retrospect.

Wonder where that Explorer is now, prolly proudly displayed and lovingly cared for somewhere. The Kramer - most likely bastardized and or in pieces rusting in someone's closet.

8. Stratbats

Stratbats Senior Stratmaster

Bought a Strymon Flint... Sold it.

Bought a Strymon Flint again, because I decided I liked it...

Bought an Archer pedal, the silver one... Sold it...

Bought an Archer pedal, the gold one, because I just knew it sounded better...

I could go on...

circles likes this.
  9. Glyderslead

Glyderslead Strat-Talk Member

Hmmmm. Shame you didn’t get it set up. I had mine set up at Andy’s Guitar Workshop, in Denmark Street, London. The frets are wide and low and with the low action they achieved, which it has had now for the last 39 years, it remains an amazing player.

The six switch, by the way, gives a range of pickup combinations and great powerful tones. Also, the two tone knobs were designed to work together and do much much more than say a Fender style tone control.

Cheers

Mick

10. imnewhere

imnewhere Strat-Talker

Dumbest would have to be one I bought basically on infatuation.

"Had to have it" because a guitarist I admire played one throughout his career.

Spent lots of time, and a decent amount of money, to finally get one.

At long last, I get it in my hands, and realize I hate the way it feels. :confused::eek::mad:

Only plus side was that I was able to flip it for more than I paid. :rolleyes:

11. jeff short

jeff short New Member!

That is the tele I been wanting love the white binding.

Electgumbo likes this.
  12. Ian Ashdown

Ian Ashdown Strat-Talker

My dumbest purchase was my first, a Beautiful Wine Gibson SG. I named it Claire after the redhead who was my first. I still have it and it plays beautifully, but it is responsible for starting this whole thing! Way too many guitars purchased along the way!

Ian
    SoCal

13. Chilidawg

Chilidawg Strat-Talk Member

"
    How many years did they give you for murder?"
    He walked. justifiable homicide

14. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Not Of This Earth

@jeff short
    I tried to like it. I really did. I loved the look. Candy Apple Red with binding! But it just never could sound right. Those janky pickups still in my junk box.

CB91710 likes this.
  15. =KARMA=

=KARMA= Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Easy. The time I ‘bought’ a PRS Custom 22 with a Rickenbacker 4001, a Rickenbacker 325C58 and some cash.

I eventually managed to sell the PRS (in as new case condition) for a lot less than the 325C58 originally cost me.

Even today it’s still a very bitter pill to swallow.

16. BlurgyWurgyWibble

BlurgyWurgyWibble Strat-O-Master

Pretty much everything with 'Epiphone' on the headstock. I have honestly never had a single Epi that didn't have a major flaw/showstopping issue. I also bought a Gibson 50's Tribute which was total junk. I still play that as my #1.
    It sounds great but only after re-fretting it and replacing literally every piece of hardware.

17. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

I grabbed an MIM Standard, unplayed as the shop was closing for Christmas 1995. I needed to replace my Tokai Springy that was stolen the night before. I had to endure it's neck (rubber tree?) being absolutely impossible to adjust enough to stop it bowing and to keep the thing in tune. The first day the shop opened in 1996, I was waiting on the doorstep to take the thing back.

I bought my MIJ ST54 and never looked at an MIM again until 2006.

18. GoldenEagle0308

GoldenEagle0308 Strat-O-Master

7 string Ibanez RG. It was an excellent guitar, but I have no business playing a 7-string guitar.

19. stratocarlster

stratocarlster Most Honored Senior Member

The dumbest purchase I ever made was just a few days ago. I'm usually a careful buyer. I buy used and only if the price is right, so if the guitar and I don't get along, I will at the very least get my money back. Well, those rules went out the window and I bought a brand new CV60s telecaster, on impulse, without even looking at it that closely (apart from noting how pretty it was) at an inflated price as it was the only one in town. And now I'm looking at this badly made, awful sounding piece of junk and feeling like a fool. Trying to decide if I throw more money at it to try to make it play and sound decent, or just sell it and take the loss and chalk it up to experience. Leaning to the latter, as just looking at it depresses me. After years of careful buying and some great deals, I guess I'll have to forgive myself this one brain fade, and take the hit.

20. BulletLee

BulletLee Strat-Talk Member

A Fender Sonoran. It was purely on looks alone and I sort of learned on a Fender neck. The neck was fine but the guitar moved. all. the. time. It was one of the first guitars I had to bring in to get setup by a luthier and it kept moving. I tried humidifiers and doing the work myself but that top just wanted to warp. I've owned plenty of Fender this and that and I even currently own the Tim Armstrong signature. It is of equal-ish quality but it importantly plays the same year round without a case. I ended up just trading in the Sonoran and picked up a Seagull that is rock solid and is a huge upgrade. I'll always remember this thing with painfully high action on a so called "electric neck".

OH! And when I purchased this thing (Online which was another lesson itself) it was supposed to be LPB. The photo is a little dark but it definitely was the "Firemist" color option even though the sticker inside said LPB.

Attached Files: