Dumbest Guitar You Ever Purchased

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by gibsonsmu, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Lone Woof

Lone Woof Senior Stratmaster

A Daisy Rock with MOTS all over the top and some vine-like inlay on the fretboard. No photos. I'm trying to forget.

2. Lone Woof

I actually like it. $20, seriously?

Mouse likes this.
  3. lammie200

lammie200 Senior Stratmaster

I am not sure. It hasn't arrived yet.

4. Mouse

Mouse The Knees of Rock

I'm sure I exaggerate. In fact now that you've raised the issue, I've looked it up on eBay in their sold listings. I'm seeing similar models that have sold for $100 - $500. Perhaps I should clean this bad boy up and list her myself.

5. Lone Woof

Clean it up, put .11s on it, tune to open D and play slide on it.

6. ProSonicLive

ProSonicLive Senior Stratmaster

I got one of those Martin backpackers Thinking, "I could use a smaller, more portable, acoustic guitar!" then I got it.
    I found out this was a stupid Idea because in reality, you still hold it in one hand, it takes up the use of one arm just like a regular guitar.

Martin Backpacker Guitar2.jpg

circles likes this.
  7. BuckNekkid

BuckNekkid Strat-O-Master

I'm gonna tiptoe around this question a bit. When I started buying the guitars of my childhood dreams, I bought my first Gibson Les Paul based purely on its cool looks and limited edition "collectible" status.

Turns out it's a hard guitar for me to play. It boasts some "new" technologies Gibson introduced in 2015: G-Force tuners, a 15db gain switch, coil-tapping humbuckers, and it's heavy. Well, heck, it's a Gibson Les Paul...

So, I still think it looks cool, and it may be collectible, but it's probably the last guitar I turn to when I have an urge to play.

[​IMG]

tinkertoy likes this.
  8. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Not Of This Earth

IMG_1646.JPG
    @Lone Woof ...
    I had one like this Norma back when dinosaurs roamed the earth... I gave a guy $25 for it... very unplayable but a few weeks later another guy traded me a Duo Sonic for it so I guess it turned out OK.

9. Chief101

Chief101 Senior Stratmaster

[​IMG]

Had one of these, a Gibson V2, for about 6 months in 1982-83. Worst part, I traded a nice Gibson Les Paul for it. Never really grew on me. Wish I still had it though. Not many of them around.

tinkertoy likes this.
  10. Lone Woof

Where can I get one?

11. Lone Woof

I didn't know they made them with marble tops.

12. Jason D

Jason D Senior Stratmaster

I don't remember what I paid, but I grabbed a crappy Kramer strat copy at a pawn shop years ago. It is still the heaviest guitar I ever owned. Heavier than a Les Paul. Junky pickups that sounded thin aand terrible. Just a hunk of crap.

Worst part is that I traded it for an even crappier piece of junk. An old SS Crate combo amp. I ended up trading that map along with some other pieces of trash for a nice acoustic though, so it all ended ok.

13. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Not Of This Earth

Reverb has one for $750.... have at it

14. Stark

Stark Still an idiot

My very first electric. Dean Cadillac c. 1982, purchased at age 15 in November 1985 with a beat up Peavey Classic 50 for $365 out the door at A&A Pawnbrokers on Telegraph north of Alcatraz in Oakland. I used my brother Kazuo's driver's license because we looked alike even though he is 5 years older.

A year later I traded it + $300 for the then-new '57 AVRI which I still own and just retired.

[​IMG]

15. johnnymg

johnnymg Most Honored Senior Member

That was a great flip!

16. DeanIversenGreen

DeanIversenGreen Strat-Talk Member

are you f'n kidding me? you don't like a Charvel 3DR? what do you like? this guitar is FLAGSHIP, it utilizes a JT6 trem, arguably one of the best ever made, FOR THOSE WHO KNOW HOW TO SET ONE UP! arguably one of the best pickups of the era, J100?, J80-C? huh? lets not get into the 1/2 sawn AAA maple neck, rosewood board.. some 1/4 sawn BRAZILIAN boards! a Kahler collector locking nut.. jumbo frets, compound radius.. what more can a guy ask for? mine isn't a crackle I wish, its black but weighs like 7lbs and rings LIKE A BELL..

people should learn how to use a guitar before they bash em, this guitar is one of Charvels little known gems, try to buy one today for $800... lol, better yet, try to find one for sale, specially in crackle... had you left it under the bed till 2015 you could have made a cool $1k profit, today? dunno, haven't seen one for sale in years.. wow, a 3DR is trash?... too funny

good one tho. what does it for ya? a PRS, maybe or a modern Les Paul? lofl

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
  17. Fenderguy710

Fenderguy710 Strat-Talk Member

This post is 3 years old. Those guys are gone. Lol

Neil.C likes this.