Dunlop fretboard products... What's the difference between lemon oil & conditioner?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Wound_Up, Aug 12, 2021.

1. Wound_Up

Wound_Up CUSTOM USER TITLE Silver Member

I think it may be there in case it were to absorb any moisture or say the inside of the container was sweating for some reason. It's supposed to keep the water from thinning it out. It's used in cosmetics and lotions to thicken any water thats in them, from what I read.

2. StratPlus97

StratPlus97 Senior Stratmaster

Absolutely, this is so true. It’s amazing how many of these products are out there. When I need to give my guitar body a wipe down, I actually use my own saliva and a rag. Works like a charm

3. StratoMutt

StratoMutt Most Honored Senior Member

4. Black59

Black59 Strat-Talker

Oh no worries. Sorry, I re-read my post and it was a little harsh, my anxiety kicked in there and I thought I was dumping actual lemon oil on my rosewood boards for the past decade haha

Wound_Up likes this.
  5. heltershelton

heltershelton Vivamus libero Vivamus duris

i have oiled my rosewood necks maybe twice in my life.
    when i did, i used regular old dollar store mineral oil.
    i havent done it in quite some time because they havent needed it.
    ive read its bad to oil the board too often as well.
    some people never oil their boards. i only did it when it was very dry and also because i wanted to see if it would darken the board, which it did. i love the look of an oly white strat with a very dark board.
    FB_IMG_1628687608224.jpg

Wound_Up likes this.
  6. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Most Honored Senior Member

I just feel bad for the people who have finished maple fretboards.
    They aren't invited to the fretboard oil debates.

Wound_Up likes this.
  7. dvqc1

dvqc1 Strat-Talker

LMAO .... I can honestly say I've done that too, more than a few times.

Wound_Up likes this.
  8. Wound_Up

I normally just use carnuba wax and give it a good polish but I figured why not? It obviously couldn't hurt to use the Dunlop cleaner & polisher.

9. Impulsive guppy

Impulsive guppy Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

I use jojoba oil on fretboards, and on my hands in the winter.
    Works great!

10. Buzznut

Buzznut Strat-Talk Member

Hi.

I've oiled my rosewood fretboards several times in the past. I've been told to first use lemon oil to clean the fretboard and later aplly mineral oil from the luthier shop and did so accordingly. I also used these oils seperately in the past.
    Nevertheless there seems to appear a thin dull gray layer on top when dry, I've tried to rub it with a cloth but that doesn't seem to help.
    Suggestions anyone?

On another occasion I've also sanded down a nutusq nut with a piece of sandpaper on top of the fretboard to sand the radius of the neck into the nut as suggested on a StewMac video.
    Best to tape the neck first since the fine white powder gets all over the place an into the grain of the fretboard too, and can be quite hard to clean. This was not the cause of the dull gray layer on top by the way

11. Buzznut

Hi.

I've oiled my rosewood fretboards several times in the past. I've been told to first use lemon oil to clean the fretboard and later aplly mineral oil from the luthier shop and did so accordingly. I also used these oils seperately in the past.
    Nevertheless there seems to appear a thin dull gray layer on top when dry, I've tried to rub it with a cloth but that doesn't seem to help.
    Suggestions anyone?

On another occasion I've also sanded down a nutusq nut with a piece of sandpaper on top of the fretboard to sand the radius of the neck into the nut as suggested on a StewMac video.
    Best to tape the neck first since the fine white powder gets all over the place an into the grain of the fretboard too, and can be quite hard to clean. This was not the cause of the dull gray layer on top by the way

12. Buzznut

Hi.

Suggestions anyone?

13. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

It’s probably linseed oil?

14. Wound_Up

Its just a different concentration of lemon oil and mineral oil, IIRC. I'd have to go back and look at what I posted last time.

Scott Baxendale likes this.
  15. Jason D

Jason D Senior Stratmaster

I don’t spend outrageous money on “guitar cleaning” products. Sometimes I will throw some lemon Pledge on a t-shirt rag and wipe down the board to slick it up at bit. Then, after I play, I can dust my house. And lemon Pledge smells nice, so that’s why I prefer it to normal Pledge. Pledge has been my buddy for cleaning my guitars for 3 decades.

16. Scott Baxendale

Pledge is about the worst thing you can put on a guitar finish. It builds up over time to create a skin of mud that is next to impossible to remove. We use windex to clean the finish and Novus to polish it without leaving any residue.

JKjr likes this.
  17. Jason D

I absolutely mean no offense, but my main guitar looks exactly the same as when I bought it in 1996. I’ve used a light spray of Pledge on a t-shirt rag about every week since then. So, almost 1300 times I’ve done this on that particular guitar. I think I’m going to continue what I’m doing for another 25 years.

18. Scott Baxendale

I’ve spent hours rubbing it off as it builds up over time. It leaves a residue on top of the finish. The same is true for Martin or Gibson Guitar polish. We use Novus #2 which cleans and polishes but does not leave a greasy or waxy residue on the finish. Pledge does.

19. Jason D

Cool. Guess I’m a pretty lucky dude.

20. Scott Baxendale

I bet if I novus’d it the cloth would turn brown with muck. Pledge is wax and continuing to spray it on without removing the old wax in between sprayings builds up. It’s basic physics. Maybe it just looks shiny after you spray it so it appears to be clean? If you gig a lot or drink beer or sweat a lot it mixes with that waxy pledge and turns into a grimy mud. Maybe you just play at home or church so the dirts does build up nearly as fast? I don’t know. I’m glad you’re not having a problem, however, I don’t recommend using pledge on guitar finish and i refinish guitars professionally for a living. Just sayin.