Duo-Sonic

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by largo, Jan 2, 2009.

1. orcslayer

orcslayer Senior Stratmaster

Thia must be a revamped modern incarnation. I believe (I could be wrong) that the original Duo Sonic was conceived as student guitar & had a 22" scale & a vintage 7.5" radius. As well they were sold with 3 ply plastic pickguards. They were available as a MIM version as recently as 4-5 years ago. Dweezil Zappa was a proponent of the Duo Sonic. I think the 24" scale would be preferable (same as Mustang & Jaguar) as it would be better for adult hands. The regular Strat scale is 25.5".Personally, I have small hands, but after getting used to a Strat, I find even a Gibson scale (24.75") to be tight above the 12th fret.

2. largo

largo Strat-Talker

yeah, this Classic Vibe seems to differ from the original and even the earlier MIM re-issue in various details. interesting that Dweezil Zappa was a proponent of them, i didn't know that.

BTW, i've got small hands too, but although my fingers aren't long they're not that skinny either, so above the 12th fret is also a concern for me. but then this could be the guitar i keep around for grandchildren coming along, so that's okay.

3. Hiflyer

Hiflyer Strat-Talk Member

From the Vintage Guitars Collector website, here are the specs:

1956 Duosonic/Musicmaster specs:

* Slab 3/4 size body, Desert Sand brown finish. Early 1956 models had an Ash body, later 1956 models had an Alder body.
    * Anodized aluminum pickguard (Duosonic has two pickups, Musicmaster has one pickup).
    * Serial number on neck plate.
    * One piece maple 22.5" short-scale neck, 1 5/8" nut width.

& here is a pic of a '58 I found on the web (the pic, not the guitar !!) :

[​IMG]

The Squier looks petty close to the original IMO. I'd love to have one !!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  4. Hiflyer

Here is a pic of a '59 I found in a book:

[​IMG]

5. 66musicmaster

66musicmaster Senior Stratmaster

The basic shape is similar, other than the offset waist. The thickness and lack of contours makes it feel different holding it.

Probably work well for the grandson.

Randy

6. largo

largo Strat-Talker

thanx for those specs on the original. each time i see that reference to the 22.5" short-scale neck, i am surprised. orcslayer mentioned it earlier. i just can't imagine playing that. i thought that 24" was short!

and Hiflyer, when you said "here is a pic of a '58 I found on the web", did you mean that you found the pic on the web, or did you mean that you were providing a pic of the guitar that you'd found on the web, IOW, a pic of your Duo Sonic?

anyway, great pics, Hiflyer. thanx for sharing.

7. largo

largo Strat-Talker

so Randy, when you refer to the thickness being different than the Strat, which one has the thicker body? i hadn't noticed the lack of contours on the Duo Sonic in the pics above, but then i've only seen this guitar in pics, never held or played one.

8. Hiflyer

I was refering to the pic, not to the guitar ;) (I edited the post !!)

Another one (musicmaster), from this site http://www.marcelroy.com/ :

[​IMG]

9. largo

largo Strat-Talker

LOL!!! now THAT'S a great pic and advertising line! Coulda been me, back in the day. thanx for sharing and for including the URL to the site. i'll have to go check that out.

10. largo

largo Strat-Talker

yesterday (Saturday) i visited my local guitar shops. the local GC had none of the Squier CV series in, but they were expecting a shipment. then i checked out a guitar store that's been here for more than 30 years.

i struck gold as soon as i walked in the door. right up front on display were the guitars in the Classic Vibe series, including the Duo Sonic. the CV Duo and a CV 50 Tele were displayed on stands right out front, so i picked them up and played 'em both. then, nearby on the wall were the CV 50 Strat and 60 Strat. i pulled both of them in turn down from the wall and proceeded to play them.

the down side is I didn’t get to plug any of ‘em in (for the details of that story, see my thread “The invisible man (long post/rant)”). that problem aside, I want to comment more on the CV Duo. dennyn23 wanted a report if i got to play it, and tho in can’t comment on the pickups sound, here goes for any and all interested.

the photo of it in the MF catalog is a good likeness, the color was what i expected. the neck had a nice feel to it. playing that shorter scale wasn’t bad at all, and the neck profile and radius was fine, same as MIMs. the setup of this display model Duo was comparable to the other CVs. the body is light and comfortable. i think i could have fun noodling around on this, and since it would be primarily for my grandson to use when he’s over here this could be a good purchase for me.

i’m gonna go back this week, as early as i can, and try to play that baby plugged in.

11. 66musicmaster

66musicmaster Senior Stratmaster

Go play it! Even with a neck pup only, I really like my MMII. Great sounds. I rarely use the bridge pup on my strat now anyway. So I don;t miss it too much on the MMII.

I guess you've felt the body now and can decide on your own about that. No big deal, really.

They are fun guitars.

Randy