Dupuytren's contracture......any of you guys got this?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by stratobiker, Jan 2, 2021.

1. stratobiker

stratobiker Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Any of you guys got this?
    I’ve had something going on with my hand for a number of years.
    Turns out, this is what I have.
    Apparently it runs in families. I’ve found out my Uncle had it.
    Anyways, just wanted to touch bass here and see if you guys had any tips or strategies.
    Thanks
    SB

abnormaltoy likes this.
  2. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy Mouth draggin' knuckle breather Silver Member

One of my best friends, the singer in my most recent and future band, has it in his pick hand. As a matter of fact he is in the process of recovering from surgery. The recovery seems to be going well for him.

stratobiker and StummerJoe like this.
  3. StummerJoe

StummerJoe Senior Stratmaster

I have a friend with it. It sucks. He doesn't play anymore because of it for probably 15 years now. He is of Scottish descent, and from what I understand it mostly affects people of European heritage.

I know I've been seeing a commercial with John Elway for some new treatment, but don't recall what it is. There are also surgical options.

As for tips/strategies, I kept trying to encourage my friend to continue playing with the idea that if he didn't it would just progress. He didn't continue to play regularly and it progressed to the point he doesn't play at all.

I wouldn't wish that on any musician, even if I didn't like them personally. I fear ever getting it. Rooting for you.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
    stratobiker and abnormaltoy like this.
  4. StummerJoe

5. stratobiker

Thanks for that. Much appreciated.
    I went to see a consultant here in France.....she was lovely....she sat with me, held my hands....talked with me....best part so far!!!
    Turns out it runs in families, and my uncle had it. He ended up having to get surgery.....
    A new adventure!!!

abnormaltoy and StummerJoe like this.
  6. StummerJoe

Best of luck. Stretching is supposed to help I hear, but I'm no medical professional.

stratobiker and abnormaltoy like this.
  7. stormsedge

stormsedge Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

My father-in-law's sixth (or seventh, who can remember?) wife has it. Believe they finally did surgery. Haven't heard anything about it lately, so it must have helped the situation.

8. airmech50

airmech50 New Member!

Get XIAFLEX injections. I've had both hands done. Left hand about 7 years ago and right about 5 years ago. Went right back to playing guitar within two weeks. A surgeon wanted to cut off the the skin on my left hand and sew what was left together. Would take 18 months of recovery to see if I could use it again. After searching around the internet found a trial of this to be ending soon. I was the first to take the treatment in my area. I had people from my insurance come and watch. they inject, wait three days, your hand swells about twice it's size, then they break the cord by manipulating by hand. Not as bad as it may sound. In your country they would break the cord by using a needle but, it grows back. Look into this before you opt for surgery!

Danny D and abnormaltoy like this.
  9. airmech50

airmech50 New Member!

I joined just to tell you about this treatment, it's that important!

10. StummerJoe

Welcome to the forum! Glad your hands are better!:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

abnormaltoy likes this.
  11. LawFlow

LawFlow Strat-Talk Member

I have it, but mainly in my picking hand's pinky. It has not hindered my playing. I notice it in my fretting hand a little, but not as bad. The good news is it hasn't progressed much over the last couple of years. The treatments (surgery or injections) were discouraged for now.

12. madmtnmotors

madmtnmotors Strat-Talker Silver Member

I have it in my fret hand but it has been slow to progress since I first noticed it and was diagnosed a couple years ago. I just took up the guitar last year so I hope i can learn to at least play something before that and/or arthritis takes over! Good to know that there are studies and treatments being researched, will definitely look into these before it becomes debilitating. :cool:

13. 98bigapple

98bigapple Strat-Talker

I have a very mild case in my fretting hand. I have not had to have surgery and can still play but I have some days when it feels worse than others. Man, hope you can get it sorted out.

14. stratobiker

Wow! Thanks very much @airmech50 much appreciated. Welcome to the forum!
    It’s not too bad at the moment, the consultant suggeted I wait until it was really bothering me before they do anything.
    I reckon this has been coming for a number of years. Are your hands back to normal now? Will it come back again in time?

@LawFlow @madmtnmotors @98bigapple thanks guys! Looks like I’ve joined an elite club.
    I’m 65 now, Iooking back I reckon there were fiirst signs as long as 10 years ago....maybe more.
    I do do some stretching, especially when riding my bicycle as my hands tend to cramp up in cold weather.

Thanks again guys.....let’s keep each other posted. :cool:

StummerJoe likes this.
  15. macoshark

macoshark Senior Stratmaster

I had it, still do in my left hand. Had to get surgery on my left to keep playing guitar. I was surprised when the surgeon told me no restrictions after waiting 2 weeks to take out stitches. Tried the injections and they helped for awhile but not on my ring finger. Did work on my thumb. Doc said it was caused by old age. Something to look forward to.

16. stratobiker

Thanks for that. Good to know there are options.
    Yeah, old age......great! :cool:

StummerJoe likes this.
  17. stratocarlster

stratocarlster Most Honored Senior Member

My brother had the operation to fix his 'claw'. I have it mildly in my right hand. Hopefully won't get any worse.

18. johnnymg

johnnymg Most Honored Senior Member

I have it both hands now. Had surgery on the right had 25 years ago and the pinky is back to 45degrees now. The left had (fretting) is getting FUBR now so that’s a bummer. I use this “disability” as my excuse why I suck at playing guitar. :whistling:

Anyway, I’ve learned to compensate in my fretting and can do most normal chords. Stretch chords are way way out of the question. It’s all relative and I’m happy to be above ground.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
  19. airmech50

airmech50 New Member!

My hands are pretty much normal. I can stretch my hand full open. I can also place it flat, palm down on a table. Playing is as easy as before I had a cord in my hand. Mine used to ache like a toothache when it was growing. The shots stopped all that. Breaking the cord is what's needed. The needle thing I mentioned is called NA, it grows back together and you are where you started. the shot is called Collagenase treatment. You can go to dupuytren-online.info to see all the different treatments (it's a forum). Lots of information, check it out.

stratobiker, johnnymg and StummerJoe like this.
  20. Dibbs

Dibbs Strat-O-Master

One simple, easy thing you can do, to help relieve joint stiffness and pain, in general, is to take Magnesium, and Potassium.