Dusting Off The Cobwebs

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by tonyw, Oct 31, 2014.

1. tonyw

tonyw Senior Stratmaster

Havent been onto strat talk for about 4 +years, alot of other projects taking up my time but thought i would pop in and see how the joint was jumpin'

Last time i was on i was putting together a Baritone strat, that ended up being a nightmare because i got too smart with the wiring, so i cut back to the basics and it turned out a winner.

Travel, photography, metal detecting in the old goldfields, playing guitar instead of talking about them and winding my own pickups is what has been keeping me excited lately.

Havent added to my guitar collection (i have a half finished tele and some bodies kicking about) but i have done alot of modding of wiring caps pups etc.

Interested to see who is still around from the old sparring days, there was a few laughs to be had for sure.

Lastly there were a few PM's i hadn't replied to and they go back awhile so they may not still be relevant.

All in all good to see the place still ticking along and alot of the same old questions doing the rounds, but i guess with so many new players eager to learn the ropes its not surprising.

cheers
    Tony

2. Hugh

Hugh Got Cluck ?

Welcome back Tony !

Man, I was hoping you were ok. Best I remember you had bought an old MIJ guitar and was calling it Hound Dog iirc ?

3. tonyw

tonyw Senior Stratmaster

Ha ha hey Hugh good to touch base with you again. Yeh its called the Hound and its on my bench right now, great recall mate

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Hugh

Hugh Got Cluck ?

That's the one !

Again, good seeing you posting friend. A lot of the old late night crew has left or stop posting. (late night here in the US)

5. Luthier-Atlanta

Luthier-Atlanta Senior Stratmaster

Welcome back aboard, nice vintage project you have there.

6. tonyw

tonyw Senior Stratmaster

Yeh mate i noticed not many or any about, people move on, the forum world is pretty transient.

7. tonyw

tonyw Senior Stratmaster

Thanks mate

yeah too many projects not enough time lol this old WG4 L needs some new solder, some fresh caps and i am going to pot the pickups to stop some of the squealing, i may even do some new pots etc and put the old vintage ones away in bag.
    [​IMG]

I also have a ET440 and a couple of Watkins Rapiers to play around with

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Rogue Bohemian

Rogue Bohemian what? WHAT?????

I have a pic from when I was a teen with two other guys, all of us playing guitar. One of them had the plain Jane version of that guitar. His parents bought him a new Tele when he auditioned for a band and got the job.

That band will be a part of my garbage story when I tell it.

That guy went on to Annapolis and became a fighter pilot and was stationed on the USS Enterprise while his dad was Flight Officer. I think they are the only father/son active at the same time and fighter pilots on the Enterprise.

9. hornpiper

hornpiper Most Honored Senior Member

The "Hound" is a good name. Check out Hound Dog Taylor on You Tube. Looks exactly like the guitars he was famous for playing.

10. tonyw

tonyw Senior Stratmaster

Interesting story, the father and son on the same ship and both pilots, who would of thought.

I did my lag in the military from 1972 to 1975 in heavy transport, why walk when you can drive was my motto. When i got out i had a job winding pickups on a sowing machine, ihad been in the music game since iwas 13 and straight back to it as soon as they turned me loose. Didnt like the winding job because it wasnt playing, so what do you find me doing yesterday? now i love winding pickups, unless like yesterday i get a few thousand turns in lose concentration and ping the wire.

Tele Bridge

[​IMG]

11. tonyw

tonyw Senior Stratmaster

I have everything Hound Dog did and some, yeh i love his raw kickin' butt blues.

He used to rip the speaker on his amp so he could get that filth sound.

He played mainly the Kawai S180 and a very similar guitar to the Teisco seeing as Kawai bought them out. He also liked the Kingston SD40 and a Teisco Spectrum 5 mine above is the Spectrum 4 all Japanese guitars. They can be a bit of a bucking bronco to play the old Teisco etc you need to show em whos boss or they will kick your head in :D