Join Strat-Talk Today

Early '63 Neck and Later Body

Discussion in 'Pre-CBS Strats (before 1966)' started by Fender753, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Fender753

Fender753 Strat-Talk Member

Thanks again for all the helpful info. I appreciate the wealth of knowledge here.

I figured I'd link a little video below so you guys can hear how it sounds.

As embarrassing as this is, I spent all my savings on the guitar and I can't afford an amp at the moment, so this is the only time I've played it plugged in at a local Guitar Center. :eek:

Hopefully someday I will be able to find a fully original pre CBS strat. But this one isnt too bad.

2. archetype

archetype Senior Stratmaster

Play that thing! A $45-65 used Fender Mustang I will bring out the goodness until you can save up for something else.

Fender753 likes this.
  3. Bazz Jass

Bazz Jass Chairman of the Fingerboard Strat-Talk Supporter

@Mipstoo - this came up recently. The OK stamp and tool mark in the neck pocket. Did this continue into 65/66?

[​IMG]

4. Mipstoo

Mipstoo Senior Stratmaster

I personally have seen them up till 1964... Not saying they don't exist later on, but never seen those. The circled numbers, that we discussed recently, were used more commonly 1965 and later on.

Bazz Jass likes this.
  5. TheDudeMan

TheDudeMan Strat-Talker

[​IMG] Eddie V has a few 65's with the ok stamp.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    Bazz Jass and Fender753 like this.
  6. Mipstoo

Mipstoo Senior Stratmaster

:thumb:

I was talking about the ones I have seen in person.
    The less pronounced contouring started in 1964, the 'canary' yellow stain as well. I don't think this body is later than 1965...
    We also need to take into account that it could have been sanded before the refin.

Fender753 and TheDudeMan like this.
  7. TheDudeMan

TheDudeMan Strat-Talker

Obvious signs of over sanding on the body, plus the finish is pretty thick and could also affect some of the edges. I'm thinking it's a 65' body myself.... probably made in late 64' early 65'.

Fender753 likes this.
  8. TheDudeMan

TheDudeMan Strat-Talker

Still an L-Series, and for the money the OP spent a great deal. :thumb:

Nick-O and Fender753 like this.
  9. Fender753

Fender753 Strat-Talk Member

So for some more info. I inspected the guitar pretty closely last night for a while. The contour of the body does not seem to extend past about halfway through the neck plate. The finish is thick and there is evidence of yellow stain near the trem pocket and in the screw holes. To me it looks more like a layer from a previous sunbusrt than from canary yellow stain. The guitar was supposedly originally CAR, and then a bad sunburst before its current CAR. There is evidence of the black paint from sunburst on the neck pocket and horn under some paint chips, so I think the sunburst was barely sanded off before the current CAR. I am unsure if the guitar originally oversanded before the sunburst refin. Other than that, there is little evidence I can find to date the body other than the OK stamp in the neck pocket and the info we know above. The wood is very obviously old.

I am nervous to take the neck and pick guard off, as I am not very experienced with this and alot of the screws seem to be nearly stripped off in the wood. But I can do this for more photos if that would be helpful. I'm fairly confident the neck appears to be all original Jan '63. If I disassemble it, are there any photos that would be more telling? I am tempted to try and press a bobby pin or something into the paint near where a '63 screw hole would be and see if there is any evidence of one. But it seems like a consensus now that the guitar is from '64-'65.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    TheDudeMan likes this.
  10. vintageguitarz

vintageguitarz Strat-Talk Member

I worked at Fender from 1972 - 1999 / Fullerton and Corona.

Having an older neck on a year later body, even in some freak occations two year later body, is not that unusal. You have to understand manufacture at Fender and also remember the reason Leo Fender used "bolt-on" neck "tech" - easy to replace. Leo had plans of making LOTS of extra necks to fill the Luthier "neck job" marked. Trouble is, Luthiers would rather just do a Fret Job instead of replace a whole neck. I should know, I've been a Luthier since 1972. He had no concept that his 1950's and 60's Strats, Tele's etc would be so valuable ($12,000!) and that "collector experts" foolishly dated a Fender by the "Neck Date". Ha!

We made HUNDREDS of Necks for each model at a time, they were finished, fretted and put in huge bins. 411 - this STILL goes on at Fender US and Mexico TODAY! BIns might have 200, 300 Strat, Tele, P-Bass necks in them .... dated.

Running a batch of Std American Strats in 3-tone Sunburst? Do the bodies, send for a bin of Necks. Put them together. Necks at the bottom of a bin are the OLDEST. Bin may have been sitting around for a year, first bin of 10 filled from that "Neck Run". Do another run of necks? New ones might go on top of 20 or 30 left overs at the bottom of a bin here or there.

Got it? Dating a Fender by the neck stamp or handwriting is goofy, I've been telling that to "Ex-Spurts" for 30 years. But they like to sell books, etc.

Now you know. Now this doesn't mean your treasure isn't a "parts-caster". Lots of things must be looked at close up, little things like the soldering on the Pots!

T Guitar Floyd and Timothy Snell like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.