Join Strat-Talk Today

Earnie Ball Strings....cheap....or good quality.

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by The-Kid, Jul 30, 2019.

1. longboard blues

longboard blues Strat-Talk Member

I'm a fan of EBs. Bought some D'addarios recently, and the top E unwound from the ball end on both. I did see that there have been some d'addario knock offs hitting the market, i wondered if i got some of those; they were dreadful. I just stuck some light Pyramid round core nickels on the Am Std, they sound very different... I think I like them, I'll gig them next week to decide.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  2. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

3. circles

circles Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I've always have had good luck with them.

The-Kid, abnormaltoy and 3bolt79 like this.
  4. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Senior Stratmaster

I quit using D’Addario when they started coming 6 strings to a crappy plastic bag. I like that there are separate envelopes for each string. They have been every bit as good as D’Adds. I use 9-42 Slinky’s on my American Specials, and 10-46 Classic Rock n Roll pure nickel strings on my 79. They are gentler on the frets and sound warmer. I have to replace them often though. Usually about twice a month on the nickels, and I get a month out of the regular slinky.

Jesse414 and abnormaltoy like this.
  5. Antstrat

Antstrat Senior Stratmaster

Been using these for a long time on my strats. To me they sound the best and outlast everything else I've tried. A local guitar store manager recommended them to me and I balked just because so he gave me a few free packs to try. Winner winner bovine dinner.

[​IMG]

The-Kid and vid1900 like this.
  6. 3bolt79

If you want the EB’s really cheap, up ten sets. Strings by Mail usually discounts, or f your a veteran or active duty military, they give you a 10% discount on everything they sell.

The-Kid likes this.
  7. The-Kid

The-Kid Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

This...

When I really want to sound treat my guitars I get a set of these.

These sound amazing and are worth the 10 bucks. Bought some for a friend because he got a new Pacifica. I liked the way they sounded and felt really made the cheap Pacifica come alive.

On the days Im thrifty and want to sound decent EB never fails and they sound great too.

I love both sets.

But going back to the original post, EBs sound great for the money. Take a beating and feel amazing too.

8. Smig

Smig Strat-Talk Member

I normally use EB 9-46. Good quality for small money. But I tried Elixir Optiweb and this is the shot! :)
    Higher cost but the highest quality. Recommend.

9. Chubbles

Chubbles Strat-Talker

That's funny. I've been using just those on my Srtrats for 10 years, 10-46 on Les Paul types.

The-Kid likes this.
  10. vid1900

vid1900 Senior Stratmaster

The Gibson strings are made by D'addario, so it makes sense they sound good.

Never have tried them myself, but now you have my curiosity

11. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

Used D’addarios for a long time for some reason. Before them, I used GHS Boomers, EB, Blue Steel somethings. Last year or maybe the year before I switched to EB again. I’m using EB Hybrid Slinky. I like them a lot. They seem crisp and articulate and they feel good too.

3bolt79 likes this.
  12. sadmoodyfrazier

sadmoodyfrazier Strat-O-Master

Ernies are very good strings, very elastic, a little rough under the fingertips. Actually "classic" slinky ones are my favourites. The rock'n'roll ones are pretty good too but lasts a little shorter than slinkies. D'Addario are also good strings, actually, but the quality control is not stable so they alternate good manufacturing periods to poor ones. Anyway D'Addarios are very short lasting to me. They change their sound and feel in a few days to die very very fast. They sound and feel very good for that short life period, though. Talking about electrics. On acoustic guitars both sucks totally and the best choice is always straight and simple Martin strings. Cheap, well done and long lasting.

13. 3bolt79

D’Addario also makes the EVH Strings, or did. I don’t know if they are even available any more. But they were the same as regular D’Addario strings. Why pay the extra for the packaging that says EVH? They did make a set though, where’re the plain strings were from a EXL 120 and wound strings were EXL 110, so 9’s/10’s

vid1900 likes this.
  14. The-Kid

The-Kid Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Bro same here.

Same set for years Rock N Roll 9s on Strats and 10s on Pauls.

15. echoes71

echoes71 Senior Stratmaster

I actually prefer Fenders' Pure Nickels

16. guitartwonk

guitartwonk Strat-O-Master

Yeah, Slinkies are good. I wouldn't consider them cheap. Here in the UK they're about £6 a pack. I also like Martin's Darco strings, which are a couple of quid cheaper and are just as good.

Hey EB, if you're reading this, drop your RRP in the UK to £4 a pack and I promise I'll buy nothing but Slinkies for the rest of my life! ;):thumb:

17. 64 Tele

64 Tele Strat-O-Master

Years ago, used to use GHS Boomers on my old Tele (it was a really bright guitar) and EB's on my Strat.
    Don't have either guitar now, but use only EB's on all my guitars (except Taylor acoustic).

9-42's on Tele and Strats, 10-46's on PRS SE's and Gibson.
    Works for me.....

18. Funk McNasty

Funk McNasty Strat-O-Master

I haven’t used Ernie Ball since I was in my teens, so I don’t really remember what they were like. I’ve always been a D’Addario Guy. I used 9-42 sets forever until this year I’ve switched over to D’addario 8.5—.39 (“Super Light Plus”) nickel wound XL sets on all of my Strats except for my ‘95 Strat which has a super slim neck and a 9.5 radius. I use Elixir Nanoweb 9-42 on that guitar because the Elixirs have a bit more tension which feels right on that neck. Also, the ‘95 is my main Number one guitar which gets most performing and recording time, so the longer life of the Elixir set is great there.

But now I’m curious about EB Slinky’s again! I think I’ll run out and grab a pair over on the ‘Verb and give ‘em a try! I play 2-3 hour gigs about twice a week so I’m unfortunately forced to re-string my guitars quite frequently. I string one at least every week. I’ve found that most sets are dead and rusted after 3 sets in a sweaty club, unless they are elixirs which I can comfortably get 6 sets out of, maybe a few more if I’m willing to stretch it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The-Kid and Andrew Wasson like this.
  19. Stratoholic

Stratoholic Senior Stratmaster

I went through a period of about 6 months using EB strings, and every other High E, the lock twist would slip, ending up with the ball end flying in one direction and the string flying in the other direction. I've never had that problem with any other string, so I quit using them. Went back to D'Addario, and haven't had that problem since (It's been about 4 1/2 years).

When I say the lock twist slipped, it wasn't after I tuned up and played it for a while, or even the next day. As soon as I put the string on, and started to try to get it to pitch, it would slip, try to tune it up again, and it would slip, and like I said, the ball end would go flying. I'll never use EB again.

20. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

I had that problem with the last 2 sets of D’addarios I used. They were 9’s. I haven’t had that problem with EB’s though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.