• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wound_Up

You can call me Duane 😁
Jan 23, 2020
NW LA
It's really an interesting question.

Only because there are two other round things in space we can see with the naked eye and one or two more that can be seen with a cheap telescope, thousands upon thousands of photographs and videos taken by thousands and thousands of people most of whom can't doctor an image.

There's also other examples of anything that spins and erodes becoming round-ish over time.

I guess maybe the Sun and Moon could be 2 dimensionally round and no matter where you are on earth and no matter what position they are in the sky they are always facing everyone on the planet directly at all times.

I suppose everyone who's ever been in a jet and can see the curve of the Earth are just seeing things.

I guess even though we can see another planet with a telescope but can't see the other side (or the end) of an Ocean with the same telescope doesn't mean anything at all.

I hope someday this question is answered. It really keeps me up at night.

That's how the moon is currently. We only ever see one side, the same side, any time weve ever looked at it. Theoretically, it could be flat on the back side and we'd never know.

nosmo

Senior Stratmaster
Gold Supporting Member
Dec 13, 2020
Amber
I lived in Kansas for a while, and could come close to agreeing with you. Wichita.

I have been to Wichita a couple of times for airplane maintenance training. Pretty flat. There was an actual study done some time ago that proved it IS flatter than an IHOP pancake. The study did not encompass the rest of our planet. All I can say is no one has ever been known to fall off th.
A
A
H
H!

https://www2.ljworld.com/news/2003/jul/27/holy_hotcakes_study/

https://www.mashed.com/290319/the-strange-scientific-study-ihop-pancakes-were-used-in/

http://www.usu.edu/geo/geomorph/kansas.html

Guy Incognito

Senior Stratmaster
May 14, 2019
Here and now
That's how the moon is currently. We only ever see one side, the same side, any time weve ever looked at it. Theoretically, it could be flat on the back side and we'd never know.
I would like to pretend I knew that about the moon but I didn't. Thanks for making me learn something at 2 am on a Saturday night.

My grade 7/8 science teacher was that guy who snuck booze in his coffee cup then constantly had cough candies to try to hide the smell and stared down the tops of the female students. He must have forgot to teach that and honestly I just never noticed on my own.

Pink Floyd says there's another side and that's good enough for me.

Last edited:

Dreamdancer

Senior Stratmaster
May 1, 2014
Greece
Guitarists and especially electric guitarists should be banned from these types of questions...they have a serious track record of not understanding physics....:D

Dreamdancer

Senior Stratmaster
May 1, 2014
Greece
Explain that to Brian May would you, I think he'd appreciate your candor...
There is nothing to explain really...the market already knows about this thats why there have been products like...tone polish out...cause they know their target audience is like that...:D

Roger66

Senior Stratmaster
Jun 21, 2021
Port Hueneme
The Earth is a quadrilateral multi dimensional dodecahedron, cover in cheese, dipped in chocolate and sprinkled with almonds, stretched to infinity and tied in a quantum knot and baked to a delicate crunch. That is my theory it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too.

View attachment 500742

Trick photography by NASA and Kubrick. Don't fall for it. You can see the string!
Yeah and CGI was invented 80 years ago!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts