Easiest playing guitars you own?

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by Lonn, Aug 20, 2021.

1. Papa Che

Papa Che Strat-Talker

I've had cheapo guitars with 12" fretboard and C shape necks for years and thought (ney, believed) these were the easiest to play (internet told me so) until I've bought me a Fender Vintera 50's Tele Modified and Fender Vintera 50's Strat. Both have soft V necks and Tele 9,5" fretbaord and the Strat 7,25". I find the Strat easiest of the two, even bending, and lead parts and chords all flow like milk and honey.

All Im saying is do not trust the internet if they say 7,25" fretboard radius and V shape necks are hard to play :D Test for yourself and see.

Also these two models needed no extra modding on my part. Perfect out of the box!

Ruscio, mimmo and CB91710 like this.
  2. Chipss36

Chipss36 Strat-O-Master

my 89 540r, it’s like cheating.
    Not a vintage cool old fender.
    But as far as playability, this tops everything I own. Is the most comfortable, and hangs perfectly from a strap.

10632771-CCAC-4229-8EB6-356BE2ECDB9E.jpeg

Ruscio and pn8830 like this.
  3. systolsys

systolsys Strat-O-Master

"Easy playing" for me has come from years of trial and error, and now I know it's a combination of a quality neck with a reasonably but not overly thin carve, a compound radiused fretboard, medium to jumbo frets, a good setup, and my preferred string gauge.

So that's currently either the Jim Root (12-16") American modern-C neck on the Strats (jumbo frets), or the American Elite (9.5-14"). Fretboards are maple or ebony. Never really quite got on with rosewood. I prefer these over the 10" PRS necks, and slightly the 12" mex deluxe necks... but I think that's more to do with the narrow frets than the fretboard radius. To be fair, I haven't been playing either of those recently, so should go back and spend more time on them.

Strat gauge is 9-12-16-26-36-48 to give a fairly graduated feel top to bottom. Tele gauge is 9.5-12-16-26-36-52 because regularly play them in D/Open-G.

There's also an element of getting older and needing to save my back have finally led to the realisation that I don't need to wear a guitar around my knees like I did when I was a teenager. It's a lot easier to play when you can actually reach the instrument.

4. Hugh

Hugh Got Cluck ?

I have 5 guitars, all easy to play.
    But yesterday I bought a FSR Bullet Tele and it is now "the easiest" to play after I set it up. The neck is awesome.

For me, it just has to have a comfortable neck profile. Setup is easy stuff.

5. bloomz

bloomz Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

They're Billy Gibbons Dunlops 7-38

I'll never use any other strings again. I don't wanna work that hard.

6. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

All three of these play real easy! C836B142-9730-486E-AD93-0F65A8FB02BF.jpeg

pn8830, Hugh and myredstrat like this.
  7. myredstrat

myredstrat Senior Stratmaster

I'm playing it right now
    IMG_2359.JPG

pn8830, Hugh and CB91710 like this.
  8. Clickitysplit

Clickitysplit Strat-Talker

These two…
    E5E11870-BD19-4533-BD02-1C2DDAA6573B.jpeg 24EFB422-5D23-40C5-BC59-8E2097BB386A.jpeg

Ruscio, chicago slim and CB91710 like this.
  9. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member

Admin Post
    I have another to add. I picked up this black VM70s Squier the other day. All I did was drop in a new MIM big block tremolo and add the aluminum guard. Before restringing I bumped up all the saddles to where i thought would be a good starting point. Apparently I got lucky as after restringing it the action is quite low with zero buzzing.

[​IMG]

Ruscio and Intune like this.
  10. FuncleManson

FuncleManson Strat-Talk Member

Probably my Parkers, even though they have thinner necks, which I generally don't like.

20201228_120627.jpg Parker Fly-vertical.jpg vxgyyenhiemvfegap3zl - Copy.jpg

11. Intune

Intune Senior Stratmaster

Every one of these junkers! All set up by me, low action, very little relief, levelled and crowned frets even when new, all have large necks. They all play identical. C31C29AD-AA29-4BAE-B294-2150FEB301C7.jpeg

Ruscio, mimmo, pn8830 and 1 other person like this.
  12. Jason D

Jason D Senior Stratmaster

1997 body, 1992 Korean Squier neck (headstock sanded back when I cared about the name on the headstock…). Stock single coils that sound amazing and a Pearly Gates in the bridge with a coil split. The sucker just plays incredibly nice. The back of the neck has been sanded years ago, and I rolled the edges just a little. Great great guitar. BAD5FCC5-CE32-4AE2-B4BC-C6488AB965D4.jpeg

13. pn8830

pn8830 Strat-Talker

My friend: - How many guitars to you have?
    Me: - One too few.

Bob the builder and CB91710 like this.
  14. pn8830

pn8830 Strat-Talker

Currently these two. My MIM Standard Strat and my Hondo II H-370BS on which I managed to get lowest action I ever made thanks to a flatter neck.

20210915_105104.jpg

Ruscio and Intune like this.
  15. Murphcaster

Murphcaster Senior Stratmaster

All of these are easy to play...if you know how to play. IMG_0355.png

Ruscio, pn8830, CB91710 and 1 other person like this.
  16. Boyd L

Boyd L Strat-Talker

All of mine play reasonably easy, because I make them so if they don't. Like most here, I have plenty to play so I don't buy them if I don't have the inclination to invest time in them.
    That said, by a slight margin I consider my Indonesian Silvertone my easiest to play. While it was surprisingly good after being rescued from a pawn shop it improved noticeably after (in this order): fret leveling/crowning, neck relief adjustment, nut adjustment. Surprising for a $69 pawn shop refugee.
    A close second, with no fiddling and futzing by me is a Reverend Trick Shot. The store I bought this guitar told me a selling point for them to carry the Reverend label was the set up attention given their instruments at their last stop before heading to dealers.
    Sssh....
    They're napping in their respective beds.

20210916_094249.jpg

I miss having a good phone camera. (I used to be so deluded into thinking I had photog skills).
    Edited to add: the Silvertone's original white pickguard is somewhere in the parts pile, being replaced with an inexpensive Musiclily loaded black guard with Alnico 5's and unknown pots/switch. Sounds and looks lots better.

pn8830 and Ruscio like this.
  17. Ruscio

Ruscio Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member Silver Member

I just reassembled this yesterday after the headstock was painted, and it's probably my 2nd easiest to play. The only limitations are access to the upper frets, and absence of a 23rd and 24th, relative to my best-playing guitar. One thing that's even better than my #1, though, is that there's no locking nut, so no need to lock/unlock or use the fine-tuners. The bridge is awesome--Gotoh GE1996t--and I find it stays in tune very well with locking tuners plus a TUSQ nut. This is one of two guitars I have with a Floyd (or Floyd-style) trem and a TUSQ strat nut rather than a locking nut, and I'm coming to prefer that configuration.

Ibanez JS 2021-09-15 2.JPG

Boyd L, CB91710 and pn8830 like this.
  18. pn8830

pn8830 Strat-Talker

Oh yes, these are good. Forgot to mention that one. This was my first electric guitar after I moved to the States and left all my gear behind. We went to a local shop with a bunch of my colleagues because one of us was into Taylor and wanted a decent acoustic. I reached for this one just for fun, like .. what can you buy for a 100 bucks. And oh my God it felt good. My buddy decided that Taylors were too pricey, I negotiated that one down to $80 and I was the one who left with a guitar :p.

Sometimes you are not even on the market but the guitar finds you.

20210916_142831.jpg

Boyd L and Ruscio like this.
  19. Ruscio

Ruscio Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member Silver Member

Yes! This must be one of the most comfortable bodies ever, and I'm glad it lives on in the JS series even if they don't bring back the radius line more fully.

Chipss36 likes this.
  20. axejock

axejock Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

I have a lot of guitars to choose from (28 at latest count) and those are about 1/2 Fender Strats & Teles....all great. But I also have Gibson, Epiphone, Reverend, Guild, Squire, Ernie Ball Musicman, PRS, Ibanez, and some custom builds. Which is most comfortable to play? All are just fine with me, but for some reason I tend to grab my Ibanez ARX-140 (made only in 2007-2009 and only in black or white) because it is just plain a blast to play....both in comfort and sound. (For some reason, I had the volume knob removed in these photos? It is always in place now!

CIMG1000.JPG CIMG1001.JPG CIMG1002.JPG

Boyd L and pn8830 like this.