EB Earthwoods Yay/Nay?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Soundboard' started by Opj77, Jan 23, 2021.

1. Opj77

Opj77 Strat-Talker

How would you describe the JP 80/20’s? I’ve tried Dadarrio and would say that they are clear with great low end but overall they just seem to be a little thin.

2. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General

JP are great strings and are a little warmer than D’addario in both PB and 80/20. I used them for years but went back to D’addario for two reasons.

1. Packaging. I got several sets with corrosion because their packages are not sealed. If you order from just strings you can request they seal them before sending so that way they’ll keep better.

2. Tension. JP are about 2-3 lbs more tension per set vs. D’addario. Here are stats I have on D’addario, JP, Elixir and Santa Cruz.

Dadd NB 12 - 160.1
    Dadd PB 12 - 160
    Dadd 80/20 Bronze 12 - 156
    Dadd 80/20 XT 12 - 156.4

Elixir PB 12 - 162
    Elixir 80/20 12 - 159

SC Low Ten - 156
    SC Med Ten - 163

JP PB 12 - 163
    JP 80/20 12 - 159
    JP NB 12 - 162

Opj77 likes this.
  3. Nate D

Nate D Most Honored Senior Member

How’d you like these strings @montemerrick ?

montemerrick likes this.
  4. montemerrick

montemerrick no earthly reason why

thanks for asking! i play them everyday, I keep thinking about doing a demo video but keep not...

out of the box i prefer the wonderful brightness of fresh Daddarios, but three weeks later and they still sound as fresh as they did and the new string smell doesnt last a more than couple of days with Daddarios... so that's a big plus... they sound pretty darn good for a long haul and the truth is changing strings on an acoustic is always fun to put off.... so i like them. and better than elixirs. my guitar's tone (maple body spruce top) is very bright and clear no matter the string, and its something i love. i pluck strings on it when i walk by just to hear them ring out in the room. i really dont want that messed with and the elixirs darkened the tone too much.... maybe better on a less bright wood, like mahogany or rosewood .... these sunbeams are noticeably brighter than the elixirs. there's something about them makes me want to bend notes... not typical for me at all... but i think they're 11s and i usually put 12s on an acoustic... probably just easier, but the seem almost like sinewy, which of course would take us back to the days of cat gut.

i like them, but if I found a similar string that was slightly brighter in the same price range, i'd probably want to give them a try... otherwise i think i'll stick with Sunbeams for awhile...

Nate D likes this.
  5. Nate D

This is exactly how I feel about them. I always loved the Martin XP’s I’d put on, but after a few days of playing they’d be dead. These are still bright and clear and project really well.

I’ve got 12’s on my OM and they’re still easy to bend on the high E and B strings.

montemerrick likes this.
  6. montemerrick

montemerrick no earthly reason why

i do want to try a heavier gauge. but i fear i'll have to wait a while for these ones to wear out :D

Nate D likes this.
  7. Nate D

It’ll be a while! Lol

Glad you like them. :)

montemerrick likes this.
  8. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Most Honored Senior Member

Never tried the Earthwoods.. I use Jon Pearse, which seem to last longer.