eBay may finally be losing me

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Lonn, Nov 12, 2020.

1. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member

Admin Post
    I've been with them forever, never had any problems in over 700 transactions. I still haven't but they're now moving to a "managed payment" system where you're going to be forced to accept all sorts of other payments as well as paypal, and you'll have to provide a bank account for those payments to go to. They're even going to start accepting gift cards as payment. I have no idea about the security of all the other forms of payment they want to accept so I'm inclined to just call it a day. I rarely sell any longer on there anyway, maybe 5-6 times a year.

Tone Deaf, Robins and s5tuart like this.
  2. hcski25

hcski25 Strat-Talker

I hadn't heard of that, but was thinking about posting some stuff on there. I would assume that eBay would centrally collect the different payment types and then they would send you the cash to your bank? Is it part of PayPal (I trust their security)?

bloomz likes this.
  3. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Most Honored Senior Member

I trust no one who wants my banking info. Period.

4. CephasG

CephasG Senior Stratmaster

I am with you here. I stop using any service that wants my checking account number.

soulman969 and Baelzebub like this.
  5. Nick-O

Nick-O Senior Stratmaster

Sounds a bit like the policy change at Reverb.

6. misterwogan

misterwogan Senior Stratmaster

I recently started using managed payments and have sold some high-value stuff using it. It doesn't matter how the buyer pays Ebay, it could be with baubles and beads for all I care, Ebay pays me net of fees every Monday. I've been paying my fees for years now using direct debit from my bank account which has worked without issue. All things considered, I now prefer managed payments to forcing buyers to use Paypal.

7. 33db

33db Senior Stratmaster

I haven't heard this but I only buy from ebay never sell, and yes giving out banking details is sketchy.

I think i would open a separate account just for Internet shopping.

8. stratocarlster

stratocarlster Most Honored Senior Member

I wouldn't sweat giving ebay your account number. It's the way business is done here. Every company has its account details on its invoices. Bank transfers are routinely used in private sales. The cheque (check) has died out.

bloomz likes this.
  9. misterwogan

misterwogan Senior Stratmaster

It's a generational thing.

circles likes this.
  10. hcski25

hcski25 Strat-Talker

Doesn't PayPal already have my bank information for when I transfer funds to my bank account from PayPal? If it's just providing the account and routing numbers, I don't have an issue. Every person or business I've ever written a check to has that information already anyway.

bloomz and Guitarmageddon like this.
  11. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

Most places won't take a personal cheque any more. The only people that still use them are government departments, insurance companies and the legal system.

12. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member

Admin Post
    Tons of places have my banking info, this is 2020 after all. My issue is the other newly accepted payments. I suppose if ebay is acting as a go between regarding payments I shouldn't worry. My concern is if they get stiffed by some form of payment I don't want them dipping into my account to recoup any loss. eBay looks out for eBay and nobody else.

s5tuart likes this.
  13. Mouse

Mouse The Knees of Rock

I would imagine sellers will still be covered by eBay in the same way they are today. Now would probably be a good time to get out the magnifying glass and read eBay's Terms & Conditions to understand fully your rights as a seller.

14. Frisk the Cat

Frisk the Cat Strat-Talk Member

I haven't sold much on ebay as I used to, and I haven't read or been alerted of this potential payment requirement, can't see how they'd be able to force sellers into accepting all the other formats under one system. And sure, it clearly is a generational thing, but like @Baelzebub said, no trusting anyone else with bank info, Paypal has been fine for me since it's inception.
    Guess I'll see how this unfolds. First, I need to read about this.

15. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Senior Stratmaster

There's a lot of money in money. Opening up payment methods to customers is a benefit to sellers, including gift cards, IMO.

As a consumer, I use an App that gives me .9% cash back on eBay gift cards. I get an additional 4% if I pay for that gift card using my linked bank account. That's 5% back on everything I buy from eBay using an eBay gift card. There's hundreds of other merchants in that same network and most kick back more than .9%. So, as a consumer why wouldn't I use that App sometimes?

As a seller.....if eBay is guarantying the payment, then why do I care how the consumer paid, especially if seller fees haven't increased. If fees increase or the process changes and becomes cumbersome that becomes another decision point.

There's a lot of money in money and and we will continue to see all things finance related change because the internet breaks down borders.

montemerrick likes this.
  16. montemerrick

montemerrick no earthly reason why

my loathation for paypal is extreme. just about anything that lets me or my buyers use a different payment service is okay by me...

Thrup'ny Bit and s5tuart like this.
  17. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast

I've never used eBay, and plan to keep it that way.

18. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Silver Member

Well
    You're correct
    That'd be worrisome...
    Why not your home address
    And
    Where your children are
    And
    The keys to your car
    And
    Safety deposit box ingress....

ChrisD likes this.
  19. Philo426

Philo426 Senior Stratmaster

The only Way I woukd consider that is if I had a separate EBay only bank account that has no ties to the family finances.

20. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too.

The most they'll ever get from me is PayPal. I will not share my bank account details.