Join Strat-Talk Today

Ebay MiM. Any advice?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by thxphotog, Jun 20, 2018.

1. thxphotog

thxphotog Strat-Talker

I have a small army of Strats, but no HSS models. I'd like one just for sake of ease when going out to jam. Doesn't need to be anything more than a solid/decent guitar. That said, I've never purchased used and don't want to make a foolish decision as I just don't know value of various years, authenticity etc. Any advice on the following for example?

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148356&icep_item=123128680290

2. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

everything is fine with that. Serial number reads 2005.

I wouldn't pay 430 dollars for it, but if you feel like it's worth it, then go for it. After shipping, that is quite a bit for a used strat. You can get new ones for nearly that much on Adorama. I think 330 would be a fair deal on it.. I still wouldn't pay that much though.

Here's a new SSS version for $420.
    https://www.adorama.com/fe141002350...t&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_source=rflaid62905

heltershelton, vid1900 and thxphotog like this.
  3. thxphotog

thxphotog Strat-Talker

Wow! See, that's exactly why I posted. :) Thanks much!!

nickmsmith likes this.
  4. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

no problem, buddy.

5. monwobobbo

monwobobbo Strat-O-Master

umm.... you are in LA accordig to your avatar. if you can't find a great deal on a used HSS MIM then you aren't even trying a little. look for a local guitar that you can check out in person. it will be cheaper as well.

6. thxphotog

thxphotog Strat-Talker

Hey, I just started 'looking' about 30 minutes ago. And I'm at work! :)

jeff h, Namelyguitar and nickmsmith like this.
  7. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Senior Stratmaster

Notice also how the pics avoid showing the first few frets. Could just be a coinkydink or oversight on the seller's part, but it sends up a red flag for me! My guess is well played/well worn, butter soft frets! As also mentioned, the deal posted in the last couple days at ADORAMA sounds like the ticket for your desires!
    Just My $.02,
    Gene

thxphotog and heltershelton like this.
  8. heltershelton

heltershelton BANNED Strat-Talk Supporter

true about the serial #, however it has the large block which they added in 06. i have a 2012 serial on one of mine but when i emailed fender they mailed back and said it was made in 2013. so thats pretty common.
    its a good looking guitar, and from the frets i can see doesnt look to have been played much.
    i agree the price is a little high, especially if you dont get to play it first.
    maybe you can make an offer?

thxphotog likes this.
  9. thxphotog

thxphotog Strat-Talker

Funny, the guitar is still there which you'd think might make the seller bring it down a tad, but he actually RAISED the price. Interesting.

10. Namelyguitar

Namelyguitar Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Good idea. Way overpriced!!! I remember when they hit the stores - still overpriced. Just cuz someone didn't dent a guitar or play it much doesn't necessarily make it worth the asking price.

strat_strummer likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.