Effect pedal advice.....

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by Steve J55, Oct 5, 2020.

1. jbylake

jbylake Fabulously Famous Nobody Silver Member

Seriously? The guy (OP) asks for a "starter" pedal or two, and someone recommends he buy a Leslie cabinet? He mentioned he only plays a bit at home. Shelving for pedals? It must be really confusing for new guy's around here.:rolleyes: I think the best advice he's gotten is to buy a couple inexpensive staples or something like a used inexpensive floor digital multi-effects pedal. And see what he likes or doesn't like. Doubt if he needs to invest in a pedal "library" at this point. Not dozens of high end pedals either.

GitGeek, jd35801, Neilena and 4 others like this.
  2. gguitar55

gguitar55 Strat-Talk Member

Have fun exploring but do yourself and your bank account a favor, buy used online (eBay or Reverb). Look for clean examples (paint scratches and chips are ok). Compare prices to see what you should be paying. Did anyone mention a tuner btw. Boss is a good place to start.

3. GlockandRoll

GlockandRoll Strat-Talk Member

Get a use Line 6 m9 stomp box modeler, it's got 100 very accurate pedal tones inside of it, 9 of which can be used at the same time, with no complex menu to learn. It's a very analog experience and they are rugged and very well made. You can't beat it for $200 or so used. Every guitarist needs one, they are simple to use and sound just as good as individual pedals without the worry of multiple cables and powering them.

4. Slartybartfast

Slartybartfast Strat-Talker

Try some Behringers first. cheap, good sounding, and some can be very interesting, some do a lot of cool stuff, so you can figure out where you want to go with it before you buy anything expensive.

Neilena and jbylake like this.
  5. Dirtville

Dirtville Strat-Talker Gold Supporting Member

6. Dirtville

Dirtville Strat-Talker Gold Supporting Member

Don't be afraid of a delay. It may appear to be too much, but will get somewhat buried in the mix unless you go way overboard. Nice overdrive and delay are great starters.

Neilena likes this.
  7. rvandenb

rvandenb New Member!

You could buy an Eventide H9 multi-effect.
    Top notch quality, expensive but in the long run you won’t regret it. ( I didn’t)
    Its a fantastic educational tool where only one algorithm (=effect) at a time is active. This will make you focus and learn. Some algorithms are combining 2 effects such as reverb plus tremolo, or octaver plus fuzz.The H9 has room for hundreds presets.
    You can also link the H9 with an iPad to control every possible parameter.
    You can also try for free extra algorithms (effects) such as tape delay, looper, phaser, ...Buying them is not very expensive.

Now I suppose some will think it’s a stupid idea, but if you have a H9 you will probably never sell it.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
    Peter_Polfeldt likes this.
  8. rvandenb

rvandenb New Member!

B0CCEE63-7DD0-4E9D-BE25-5BA61F57F594.jpeg

Stevn likes this.
  9. DaMasta

DaMasta Strat-Talk Member

I can't wait to see what the suggestions are for "starter" pedals by the end of the weekend LOL. Hope the OP has a nice limit on his CC.I like the idea of a multi effects so you can play with all the sounds and find what you want. Great suggestion!

Neilena and Stevn like this.
  10. Stevn

Stevn Senior Stratmaster

Peddles are a funny thing.
    I got a distortion one first. I hated it. It sound like a “Fuzz” peddle from 1968. Just nasty.
    Then I got an ultra chorus and a vintage delay. The chorus imitates a 12 string sound. It’s nice but you don’t use it much.
    The delay is good. It makes notes last longer and if the delay isn’t too long it beefs up the audio.
    I have a slide guitar and got a looper to play along with. Loopers are good for practice, definitely.
    Then I got a vintage tube overdrive. I really enjoy this and use it a lot. It makes the guitar growl and say things in the high registers really loud! I received a pedal called trio+ and with it, I teach the peddle the tune then it writes drums and bass to accompany me. The trio also has a looper to add more layers, usually for me it’s rhythm guitar and some three or four note repeating lick.
    I think guys have peddle boards for a place to store them all and have them ready to even though they only use 3 out of 10 regularly.
    One thing, I got all Behringer brand, they are $30 each, or so. That way I don’t feel stupid for stacking them some where. :)

have a look...
    63E8C540-E4CF-4A5F-899A-AE0B284E50C5.jpeg
    Falling down the peddle hole....ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Peter_Polfeldt and StummerJoe like this.
  11. Stevn

Stevn Senior Stratmaster

12. Stevn

Stevn Senior Stratmaster

Phew JB, that was a mouthful. And I thought it was great!

13. rvandenb

rvandenb New Member!

For
    Thanks
    Its less expensive than those huge boards. Less than 8 pedals, one powerbrick for all stuff ;-)

14. Stonetone

Stonetone Most Honored Senior Member

[​IMG]

bgmacaw likes this.
  15. Stevn

Stevn Senior Stratmaster

Is that LA Lady a good old peddle? I looked it up. I never heard of it before.

16. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Just get a tube screamer or other similar distortion pedal,or a delay.

17. NiteGoat

NiteGoat Strat-Talk Member

Get an analog delay, digital delay, chorus, tremolo. Reverb (if your amp has none), and a fuzz. Oh, and a phaser.

18. NiteGoat

NiteGoat Strat-Talk Member

StummerJoe likes this.
  19. Peter_Polfeldt

Peter_Polfeldt Strat-Talk Member

Hi. What a good question.

Its hard to wrong with a good fuzz.

The last years or so Ive been building a pedalboard, after 40 years or more of trying stuff..
    I was a pro in the late 80-s and used : a Boss cs-1, A RAT, a small stone phaser and A Boss dm-3. Into a fender concert two channel amp. Very functional pedals.

But your question brings me back to the 70s, when I had a FBT-10 amp w no reverb and a strat-copy.
    then loads of inspiration came to me by the FUZZpedal, the FUZZ-wah and the phaser, those were my first three pedals... I remember really having a strong desire for a reverb, which became the first requirement upon the next amp I got ..

After that I started wanting the pedals of my guitar heroes, which was first of all Andy Summers of the Police, i.e A FLANGER, and DELAY :).

If youre shopping for a fuzz - I would recommend a RAT or a Boss DS-1, these are both very cool pedals, with three buttons - volume, tone and amount of fuzz - and that is a good place to start. Yes, buy them used, make sure they work ..

Id say an advantage of classic pedals over the multi-effects stuff (at least for the first two) pedals, is that multi effects came out of pedals, and this way you start simpler.

Jimmy Page of led zeppelin only has a wah and a fuzz on the 1969 gig in Copenhagen(you-tube) and he is a master of guitar-tone.

But then again - these aren´t the 70s or 80's, maybe your guitarheroes are more in the Radiohead styles, then maybe start with an echo, which is also great if you're going for a 50s sound ...some sort of "tape-echo" simulator, like a Boss RE-20, Happy hunting.

20. rvandenb

rvandenb New Member!

Its great, you should try to get one and try for yourself. I bought it used for 120€