Join Strat-Talk Today

Effects Tinkering

Discussion in 'DIY Effects Forum' started by robistro, Aug 25, 2019.

1. robistro

robistro Strat-Talk Member

Lately I've been interested in building my own effects pedals. Everything I run across on the web is mostly 'kits' to build a certain pedal.
    I was thinking more along the lines of getting a couple breadboards and some components and tinkering around with it.
    Does anyone with experience have any recommendations on where to start and what components to buy to get started or does it depend on what type of pedal I'm trying to build?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

circles likes this.
  2. 33db

33db Senior Stratmaster

I'll jump in, the question you asked is actually huge, could fill a book with it.
    What I suggest is getting a kit and tinkering by substituting parts, for example different types of diodes or whatever and go from there.

You know you have a working pedal with the kit, and diagrams, so experiment.

3. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Senior Stratmaster

Start by buying Craig Anderton's book : "Electronic Projects for Musicians".

4. robistro

I kind of suspected it was a broad question but wasn't sure how to ask since I haven't attempted before.

I thought there might be some 'basic' components to get started. I'll keep searching. Thx

5. Bowmap

Bowmap I nose a thang or two. Gold Member

Build the kit on a solderless breadboard. Then you can rapidly change out stuff. When you find something you like you can commit to a more permenant solution.

33db likes this.
  6. robistro

This is how I envisioned it going together.
    So with the breadboard I just add/change components ? With no soldering. (Plug n play) ?
    Excuse my dumbness... I have never used these breadboards before but have soldered with caps, resistors, etc.

7. Bowmap

Bowmap I nose a thang or two. Gold Member

Pretty much. You do have to be able to read schematics or a wirenet list so you can breadboard the circuit. But once you figure out that it gets real fun as you can literally change the circuit in seconds.

Here's is an example off the web...

breadboard.jpg

robistro and circles like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.