Electric strings on my acoustic dreadnaught

Discussion in 'Acoustic Soundboard' started by Karol, Sep 8, 2020.

1. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

You certainly can use them, they're just not optimized for acoustic guitars like acoustic strings, though.

I put 9s on an acoustic once (I'm a tinkerer) and it did not go well. would not intonate, sounded tinny and bad. Like you'd expect from ultra thin strings on an acoustic.

I imagine if you use 11s, 12s, or 13s, they'd work just fine, probably just a different, less full sound.

Since acoustic strings cost roughly the same, I can't see a reason to do that, in most scenarios. Maybe if you have excess electric strings around.

but in a pinch, they would certainly work.

Karol likes this.
  2. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Strat-Talker

I’ve never tried those since I buy strings in bulk OEM orders of 144 sets at a time. They get good reviews, though.

For my situation I get all the gauges either in nickel for electric or phosphor bronze for acoustic. This satisfies nearly every type of guitar there is and I don’t create a dumpster full of string packaging every week. Our shop doesn’t offer choices in string brands and if the customer wants something else he provides the strings he wants to use. However, 99% of our customers use and prefer our strings. We do not like coated strings like elixirs which are great for the guy with acid fingers that can kill a set by looking at them weird. For this guy they are a life saver. But for world class tone they don’t cut it. They change the high end which helps a poor tinny sounding guitar because it takes some of the harshness off the tinny sound, but on a quality, world class acoustic, they take tone away.

Jazz .009’s aren’t a thing except .009 electric strings. The jazz distinction regarding round wound electric strings is just a point in the gauge chart between .011’s and .012’s. Anything lighter than .012’s are called electric guitar strings and anything heavier than .011’s are considered Jazz strings. They are exactly the same string other than the gauges. You can call a set of .009’s jazz strings if you want but they are exactly the same string as a Rock or Blues string of that gauge.

Now, I prefer .012 or .013 flatwounds on a real jazz guitar, so in my head flatwounds are jazz strings and round wounds are rock strings, but that is not really a thing in the common communication of string types in the guitar world, that’s just me. I also play heavy nickel strings on acoustic sometimes, these are exactly the same thing as electric or Jazz strings but on a flat top.

Attached Files:

soulman969 and dirocyn like this.
  3. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

D'Addario has a set of 10s they call "gypsy jazz." That's the lightest I've found in a quick internet search, and IDK whether that set has a wound G.

I love flats, I have a set of flat 12s on my Jaguar.

I have seen loads of electric strings in 11s and 12s, both with and without the "jazz" listing. Perhaps the distinction is whether the g string is wound or plain.

I agree 100% about elixers.

Scott Baxendale likes this.
  4. Nick L Plate

Nick L Plate Strat-Talk Member

The tension is insufficient to drive the top and produce real acoustic sound and volume, so it's generally a bad move. Maury Muehleisen was Jim, Croce's second guitarist and his tone speaks for itself. It pretty much sucks when it comes to drive or volume -- on the other hand, it weaves in under the vocals and rhythm in a way that is easy to hear but not strident or assertive. It's a good ex., to me, of the pluses and minuses of electric strings on an acoustic.

Karol and soulman969 like this.
  5. soulman969

soulman969 Senior Stratmaster

Yup and Maury Muehleisen was a great guitarist and a perfect compliment to Jim's playing and his song. Here's a PBS Tribute to Jim Croce and Maury.

6. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Strat-Talker

Just replace the G with a wound .017.

7. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka Strat-Talk Supporter

That's my thinking too. Flats on a jazz box. I use 13's.

Scott Baxendale likes this.
  8. Rudedawg

Rudedawg Strat-O-Master

I recently had my Taylor 710ce professionally tuned up (neck adjusted, frets/bridge/nut checked, new acoustic strings, etc.) will the guitar require a re-setup for electric strings?