Join Strat-Talk Today

Electric to acoustic

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by guitarface, Sep 19, 2018.

1. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

Has anyone here, particularly among people who are mostly at home players, focused more of their attention on playing acoustic guitar? Every now and then I'm having one of those patches where I feel like time wise and gear dollars wise I want to devote more time to acoustic. It's also more accessible socially in terms of in, you play guitar type of stuff. I dunno. There's no need to make broad pronouncements like I'm an acoustic player now, but I played some sweet Taylor's the other day and I want to justify getting one.

circles likes this.
  2. AncientAx

AncientAx Still hacking .... Strat-Talk Supporter

I play my acoustic much more than my electrics .

gwjensen likes this.
  3. Chont

Chont Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I go back and forth. For about a month over the summer i just plain didn't want to bother putzing with cables and whatnot. I put some lighter gauge strings on my acoustics and was having a ball with them (they have Ernie Ball strings on them so literally i suppose). I have an Ovation and a Seagull and love them both. Over this past weekend my Epiphone 335 was whining in the case so I picked that up for a play and forgot how much I love that guitar so been noodling on that all week. But my strat needs love too so looking forward to this weekend.

I can't imagine not having a variety. I really would like a Nylon string. I think that may be my next purchase.

david57strat likes this.
  4. elduderinoTF

elduderinoTF Strat-O-Master Strat-Talk Supporter

Taylor's are sweet. I started playin' acoustic more when I got mine.

5. AncientAx

AncientAx Still hacking .... Strat-Talk Supporter

02B6935C-0C8D-4575-990F-0599EBA0D209.jpeg My 1980 Yairi . And a little cellphone sound clip .

gwjensen and Chont like this.
  6. AxemanVR

AxemanVR I appreciate, therefore I am... Strat-Talk Supporter

`
    I love my 2007 Guild D-40 and Fender DG22CE acoustic guitars, but have to admit that I play them 1 time out of 100 compared to my electrics.

It's most likely because I keep my acoustics cased, while leaving one or more of my electrics sitting out at any given time...

`

7. bassetman

bassetman Strat-O-Master

These and my J45 get about 80% of my time.

[​IMG]

Chont and gwjensen like this.
  8. gwjensen

gwjensen Senior Stratmaster

I have little parlor couch plinker I'm always picking up, so it gets a lot more play than my electrics. Its what I use for practice, scales, theory, working out songs, etc. I'm more creative with the acoustic, maybe because its more immediate and pure sounding.

Chont and AncientAx like this.
  9. gwjensen

gwjensen Senior Stratmaster

I LOVE the finish on that Yari. Kinda rustic and very cool.

AncientAx likes this.
  10. evangilder

evangilder Strat-Talker

You can never go wrong with a Taylor. I also go back and forth with acoustics and electrics. Some songs just play best on acoustic others on electric. But I would say a majority of the time I play acoustic.

Chont likes this.
  11. Pinstripe

Pinstripe Strat-Talk Member

I went from acoustic to electric for the usual reasons but with one outweighing the others about 2:1 each at the time - comfort.
    An electric is so much more comfortable to hold and to play, and I have yet to see an acoustic model that's really, really slim (I have seen some, but never played them).

But if you're comfortable with such a big body on your knee, then the unaltered, pure, direct sound is certainly preferable.
    I mean, I still think an electric though a tube amp is a nice way to get a very, very good picture of the string vibrations, but it's just not the sound itself like with an acoustic.

If wanting one isn't enough to justify getting that Taylor, maybe that is?

12. david57strat

david57strat Strat-Talk Member

I, personally, prefer playing my acoustics, plugged-in, since I'm a fan of having soundscape options, and the only way to get them with an acoustic guitar, is plugged-in. Some would argue that's it's no longer an acoustic, but I don't care.

I love and play both, equally, and can't imagine having to choose, one, over another. They're completely different beasts, and lend themselves to very different things; so, it's nice to have options.

13. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

In my band I only get to play electric guitar. For church I play my acoustic, which I'm just getting back into.

About a year ago I did some recording with my kids (2 play piano, the other viola) and I used my acoustic in each case. I found it refreshing to not have to fool around with dialing in a guitar tone....I just plugged in my mic, pointed my guitar at it, and played.

Sometimes the simplicity in the setup of playing acoustic guitar is quite appealing.

14. Antman

Antman Strat-Talker

I had a Cort acoustic for years...hardly played it...but i got back into playing acoustic and traded it in for A Taylor Academy12e. It's a fantastic guitar. I now have an even mix of electric and acoustic playing. Both different to me in terms of practice and develping different techniques. I love how different the things i play on my electrics sound acoustically. I find the acoustic a bit more demanding on my fingers but in a nice way.

Attached Files:

15. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast Strat-Talk Supporter

I'm not one to talk you out of a Taylor!:

g2 taylor.JPG

I love this thing. Yes - an acoustic can stand on it's own musically. I always see the electric guitar as part of an ensemble.

Although they are both guitars, each one can do something the other can't.

david57strat and stormin1155 like this.
  16. 808K

808K Senior Stratmaster

Yes, absolutely. And a proper acoustic tone is ... delicious.

david57strat likes this.
  17. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Most Honored Senior Member

Mine gets it's play time. It helps keep my fretting hand up to par. And playing electric has helped me with dynamics on the acoustic. It's a win/win

david57strat and gwjensen like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.