Elixir Strings

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by Blue Beagle, Nov 9, 2020.

1. raymanh

raymanh Strat-Talk Member

Yes, if I use regular strings they'll go dull and lose their smoothness after only a couple hours of playing.

Only downside is that they seem harder to bend than uncoated string of the same guage. Feels like more tension that is.

Deathray likes this.
  2. Stratattack72

Stratattack72 Strat-O-Master

I don't think they are worth it to me , but for those with acidic sweat I would think they are lifesaver. I generally switch guitars so I get a long life out of every set . Electrics if they get dull you can usually fix that with your amp setting , but acoustics you have to have a fresh set . I generally leave strings on till either they start to sound dull or won't stay in tune any longer.

3. Richard McKay

Richard McKay Strat-Talker

I use their opti-web strings and really like them. My hands sweat and they chew through uncoated strings. My bandmate can put a cheap pair of Ernie Balls on and play them for six or seven months.

Now if I could get coated screws for my pick-guard, I'd be set. I turn the upper two by the bridge black in about a month of playing.

Ruscio likes this.
  4. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

I run them on my Taylor... but that is voiced very bright and doesn't need the "help" from the strings.
    Electrics get DR Nickel 9-46

5. IMuzzy

IMuzzy Strat-Talker

Elixir for me as I also have acidic hands, they last for months with no loss of tone so I have them on all my electrics now, plus they feel nice and easy to slide over & imo make playing easier

Cali Dude and Ruscio like this.
  6. Ruscio

Ruscio Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member Silver Member

SS screws might hold up better for you, I've started using them for just this reason.

StratMike10 likes this.
  7. rze99

rze99 Strat-Talker

Got loads of guitars.
    Hate changing strings.
    And so I have elixirs on everything now. I can’t remember when I changed any strings. Many months ago. They last that long. And I play most nights though I do vary the guitars.

Cali Dude and StratMike10 like this.
  8. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Elixer Strings are the worst unless you are the guy with acid fingers in which case they are a godsend.

Coated strings change the sound too much in a bad way. They roll off some of the high end, which makes a world class acoustic sound muddy and dull but makes a real crappy tinny sounding guitar sound smoother (that must be why Taylor loves them..?)

BUT, if you are a guy with acid sweat and are the guy who can kill a set of strings in a few minutes these strings are a life saver because the slight drop off in tone it totally worth it for strings that last more than one night.

StratoMutt likes this.
  9. Bowmap

Bowmap I nose a thang or two. Platinum Supporting Member

For the screws, what about clear finger nail polish?

Glyderslead likes this.
  10. Glyderslead

Glyderslead Strat-Talker

You could use nail polish, however, I have a couple of parts casters with gold fittings and I give all the fittings, trem, screws and all a spray with clear acrylic car spay before they go on. Seems to have sorted rust problems and stops gold wear.

Bowmap likes this.
  11. henderman

henderman Dr. Stratster

exactly my opinion and experience.

i found out about elixers when i bought a taylor acoustic as it comes with them and i like them a lot. but i mistakenly bought poly webs once and they were wildly different than the nano webs.

on my electrics i am picky and want reasonably fresh strings so i just change them when needed.

Cali Dude likes this.
  12. Pandamasque

Pandamasque Strat-O-Master

Same here. Normal strings become black after one playing session for me. Screw heads on top of the pickguard on my Strat look like it's a genuine pre-CBS guitar that spent its entire life on the Titanic. :D And yet, Elixir Nanowebs last me 8 to 12 months! I don't particularly like the feel and sound of brand new strings, but the sweet spot between brand new and dead-ish lasts forever on Elixirs, while on Ernie Balls that I preferred before it was 2 weeks at most. Nothing against Ernie Ball, the Slinkies feel and sound great, but I just can't afford changing them all the time, and even if I did, I'd prefer the stability instead dealing with the fast wear cycle over and over.

13. 33db

33db Senior Stratmaster

I am that guy...
    [​IMG]

14. siegeld

siegeld Strat-Talk Member

NyXL's are the BOMB! Love 'em.

15. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Dr. Stratster

@Blue Beagle try the D’Addario coated strings. They don’t feel slick under the fingers. The coat the wire before wrapping around the core. And, you won’t have big chunks of plastic falling off on thenstrings where they touch the frets, like the Elixers do.

Blue Beagle likes this.
  16. dbolt

dbolt Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

I use them on my acoustic 12 string. Every thing else no. I hate changing strings on a 12.

CB91710 likes this.