Join Strat-Talk Today

Embarrassed my kid at GC

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Dadocaster, May 12, 2019.

1. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I've told this story before, but this is a genuine example of high-grade Dad embarrassment infliction.

I was running a mainly pro audio sales operation back in the 1980s in central London, but we also stocked a certain amount of guitar gear. A lad of maybe 12-13 comes in and says he's interested in a practice amp. We show him the smallest amp we've got and do the usual 'guitar hero licks' demo. Of course, he loves it and says he'll be back with Dad.

A couple of days later, the boy brings Dad in, who announces in a loud voice: "This is an amplifier for someone who is playing in a group. You don't need this. This isn't an amplifier for a little boy who wants to learn how to play the electric guitar!"

Obviously, the kid is now squirming at being shown up in front of these guys who can play pretty good guitar.

I was so sorry for him, I didn't say to Dad: "This amp is slightly more expensive than those tiny bedroom practice amps, but the tone is far better, and he'll probably still use it when he's starting to play with other musicians." No, I just stood there, totally aghast at what Dad had just done to him.

What was so difficult about: "OK, but before you make your mind up, would you like to take me round some of the other music stores?"

2. JB74

JB74 Senior Stratmaster

What would be awesome, is if someone in Corporate GC-land actually read this thread and realized how S_hit their corporate drivel customer service is, and how pathetic their staff wages are.

Can't blame staff always - attitude yes. But if they're getting poor working conditions and minimum wage and being forced to upsell with every customer AND reprimanded if they do not mention it....

I just don't understand why Americans - of all people, support ******* corporate greed establishments. the Mum & Dad music stores (which these corp stores help to eradicate) were and are far better at customer service and supporting musicians than a GC, sweetwater or sam ash will ever be.

but you guys and girls keep spending your money there...... "it's cheap" and so is the service.

forget about embarassing your kid Dadocaster. He will learn a valuable life lesson.

But may I suggest that perhaps there is a far deeper lesson to be learned, in choice of establishment where you spend your hard-earned.

Habitual purchasing at a bargain store or cheap online outlet can be hard to break. Until you realize that you're perpetuating the lowering of minimum wage standards, pathetic customer service, enhancing corporate greed and your quest to save 2/10's of sweet F.A. on a guitar or whatever else, is the difference between keeping a talented musician at a Mum & Dad store fed and housed, or lining the pockets of a select few, and killing off a retail industry and providing a population with a meaningful job (to them)

And we wonder why kids prefer playstation and xbox to getting a job..

simoncroft and 3bolt79 like this.
  3. montemerrick

montemerrick you can't stay the fool Strat-Talk Supporter

i used to work at Silo, an audio/video/appliance chain that used to operate in the US... i didn't sell enough extended warranties so they called me in an hour early for every shift for a week of "special training" - which consisted of cleaning all the television screens and vacuuming the floor.

but i was grateful for the special training because it gave me a chance to prove that i do indeed live by the words, "If you hate your job, quit." - i did.

4. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I hope it's not been lost that I gave a couple of "No" before I went in to debate regarding the warranties and was talking to someone whose badge said "Customer Service Manager."

5. archetype

archetype Senior Stratmaster

Explain, to the kid ,the logic behind what you did. The question is... Is it embarassing to do the logical thing and refuse to be pressured, or embarassing to waste money doing the illogical thing and do what someone else wants? My guess is that the kid will have to waste his/her own money to "get it."

BTW, part of your job is to embarass your kids. Don't be embarassed about that.

simoncroft, JurnyWannaBe and JB74 like this.
  6. Ferpie

Ferpie Strat-O-Master

One thing I learned over the years is to not expect anything from a minimum rate employee as he do not care about you, his job or what you think about him, his job.

7. CB91710

CB91710 This is a Custom Title Gold Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Sounds like boyo would still have said "no"... but would have wasted his time saying "no" every time she asked.

Eventually, he will learn that time is money. Some things I do because I can do them more quickly than having someone do it for me, and I know they are done right... or at least the way I wanted. Other times I pay someone for their time because the cost is worth more than the effort, or because I'm too busy to do it when I want it done.

simoncroft and JB74 like this.
  8. Silvercrow

Silvercrow Senior Stratmaster

Your kid was embarrassed at your directness (and correctness) which he, not having as many 'feathers' as you (experience) is unaccustomed to. You taught him to be respectful. Part of that 'listening to your elders' stuff can work against a young 'un, at times.

Similar situation when my daughter saved up enough money to buy her own car. Salesman, typically "oily" type started to do the "Is this car for YOU sir, or is the YOUNG LADY buying it?" sarcasm dripping from every word. My reply was "She's not used to dealing with USED CAR SALESMEN, really, not used to anyone trying to take advantage of her. And when someone mistakenly tries to do that, I'M HER DAD! Got it?"

He did. We didn't (buy her a car there).

I got the "How embarrassing DAD!" "You were RUDE to him Dad.." 'lecture' until we found a car she liked better, at less money.

The proof is in the pudding, though, as they say. At 38 years old now, she can handle almost any situation solo; is nobody's fool, and I am extremely proud of her!

My guess is Boyo will turn out very well, indeed!

Brian

9. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Senior Stratmaster

I have to say that I've never had bad customer service from Sweetwater. And they usually aren't the cheapest when it comes to pricing products. They will match a price if you inform them that they've got it cheaper somewhere else. Just a couple of days ago, I had to have a product replaced as it got boogered up after a month of use. They have always taken care of me after the sale. I haven't had that same sort of experience with GC.

I normally shop at my local Mom and Pop store. But, for things that they cannot get, like Marshall, I go to sweetwater.

10. The Strat Dude

The Strat Dude Posy rules! Strat-Talk Supporter

If that embarrassed him that bad he sure should not shop with me ;).

owenmoney, mshivy, simoncroft and 3 others like this.
  11. ukoldgit

ukoldgit Senior Stratmaster

When they ask me if I want the extended warranty I just laugh and ask them if they read the Newspapers:)

simoncroft likes this.
  12. nutball73

nutball73 Senior Stratmaster

I remember the first time I ever saw my Dad complain in a restaurant like it was yesterday.

Waitress: "Is everything OK for you?"

Us (sheepishly nodding): "Yes, fine."

Dad: "Actually, no. This fish isn't fresh, and it is dry and tasteless."

Waitress: "Oh I'm sorry. Shall I get you another one?"

Dad: "Not if it's like the first, thanks. I think I'll leave it. And I won't be paying for it"

Cue looks that could kill from my Mum, sniggers from us kids...

I learned that it is OK to complain.

simoncroft and JurnyWannaBe like this.
  13. dueducs

dueducs Senior Stratmaster

I paraphrase this line at least twice/month!

Nate D, simoncroft and JurnyWannaBe like this.
  14. Numbercruncher

Numbercruncher Strat-O-Master

The second bolded portion answers the first bolded portion. WE have nobody to blame but ourselves.

And as mentioned, don't shoot the messenger. We all know DAMN well the poorly paid staff get reamed by their sales managers for not selling enough merchandise or enough warranties so they get caught int he middle.

NC

15. mshivy

mshivy Most Honored Senior Member

Your son has absolutely no idea how cool his dad is

owenmoney likes this.
  16. 33db

33db Strat-O-Master

The kid is wrong, GC is embarrassing and I refuse to shop there online or otherwise.

Remember when kids saved up their money for guitars.... now it's midi controllers...

owenmoney likes this.
  17. cc407

cc407 Strat-Talk Member

Anyway, good work. Keep it up. One day perhaps you will experience what I did when my grown son asked me to go car shopping with him so I could cross my arms, scowl, and be the bad guy.

Bob the builder, JB74 and owenmoney like this.
  18. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

Amen!! :D Man, if I had a dollar for every eye roll I've earned from a Dad Joke, I'd be a rich man indeed! Definitely a perk of fatherhood!

My son just started middle school and is now at an easy to embarrass age. A couple of weeks ago as my daughter, my son, and I were driving out of our neighborhood, my daughter and I starting belting out a song that had come on the radio. My son sat their tolerating our shenanigans until we came upon some kids walking their dog...and I started to roll down the window. Tolerance moved instantly to Shear Panic!!! Oh, I hadn't laughed so hard in a long time. It was hilarious!!!

Bob the builder and nutball73 like this.
  19. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

My kid gets embarrased when I check the reciept to make sure discounts were rung up.

JB74 and BallisticSquid like this.
  20. owenmoney

owenmoney Strat-Talker

My wife usually takes the warranty on coffee makers because our water is so hard on them they barely last six months so for about six bucks we get a new one basically free.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JB74 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.