Join Strat-Talk Today

Embarrassed my kid at GC

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Dadocaster, May 12, 2019.

1. owenmoney

owenmoney Strat-Talker

Maybe kids prefer PlayStation and Xbox because parents don’t make them do anything to earn their way through life. Maybe mow the lawn, take the trash out, run the vacuum cleaner, and other chores that farm kids learn early. Teaching responsibility and work ethic are not classes taught at school. Parents need to involve their kids in home projects, do their own laundry, fold the clothes, keep their room neat, general life skills, cooking, etc. have them help you when you’re doing some painting or fixing some plumbing or mechanical things. Show them that life isn’t easy, a parents job is NOT to be their best friend, it’s to teach them how to grow up to be decent human beings. Respectful, polite, hard working , loyal, dedicated and to do the right thing. These are things they need to learn before getting unlimited PlayStation, Xbox and cell phone time.
    They need to learn rewards are for doing something to earn them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. owenmoney

owenmoney Strat-Talker

Is it the customers responsibility to worry about whether a minimum wage employee can feed himself or the minimum wage employees responsibility to learn enough skills that they can rise above the minimum wage job ?
    My wife says if you pay peanuts you get monkeys, if you want to make more than the minimum wage , get skills that will earn you more than the minimum wage. Nobody is forcing employees to accept minimum wage jobs.

Paperback Rocker likes this.
  3. owenmoney

owenmoney Strat-Talker

We were regular customers at our local Texas Roadhouse until we moved further away. If our steak wasn’t right they would always redo or replace if it was over cooked. We always made sure the server knew it wasn’t their fault. It just happens sometimes. We always got great service. Our servers knew us, would fight over getting us. We were never rude if the food wasn’t right, the managers and owner always greeted us with a smile and would come over to talk, but we never ate food that wasn’t cooked to our liking. We were there every Friday and sometime two or three times a week for several years. You don’t have to make a scene, unless it’s called for. To OP was nice until the rep got pushy, at that point it’s time to go Patrick Swayze on them. Be nice until it time to not be nice !

4. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Senior Stratmaster

I'm not sure what would have been embarrassing about that. Is your son okay with waiting a long time for service or paying for an expensive insurance policy (when the item will probably be okay as long as he takes care of it)?

owenmoney and rafasounds like this.
  5. CalicoSkies

I've pretty much always used my parking brake when I park my car, but I see a lot of people not using it unless perhaps they park the car on a steep incline. I'm not sure if it's ever bad to use the parking brake though..? Even on a semi-level ground, it feels weird if I park my car and not use the parking brake and my car rolls a little bit.. My understanding is that if you don't use the parking brake, you could put a lot of stress on the transmission due to the weight of the car, and that's not really good for the transmission..

6. CalicoSkies

I know someone who once said they didn't like the idea of them taking a customer's steak, which they may have already cut into and eaten a couple bits from (and thus has a little of their saliva) and putting it back on the grill to cook longer for them, and other customers getting steaks cooked from that grill..

7. CalicoSkies

I remember Silo. There used to be a Silo in my city, and now it's a Guitar Center. :)

8. CalicoSkies

It seems there are different MIDI controllers for different purposes. I've always enjoyed playing guitar, but I also like playing piano/synthesizer as well. Years ago I wanted to record some music on my PC, and I bought an M-Audio 61-key USB MIDI controller. It was basically like a synthesizer used with the recording software on my PC. Now just a couple days ago, I was looking up MIDI controllers online and saw a lot of what looked like beat/drum pads rather than traditional synthesizers (along with the more traditional looking piano-style ones).

9. sam_in_cali

sam_in_cali Scream for me Strat-Talk! Strat-Talk Supporter

I've noticed that kids today, while extremely adept at communication via social media, don't seem to have the same grasp in actual social situations (ie. face to face...you know with real people). Case in point: we get door to door salesman quite often in our neighborhood to which I politely just say no thanks and that's it. Anyway, we had some church folk come by the other day and I answered the door (in my Deicide shirt no less, haha) and was prepared to say 'not interested' but they asked right off "Is Dylan home?"..that's my 21 yr-old who doesn't seem much like the church-type. I was said no but he should be back shortly and asked if they knew him. They said, "oh, we met him last week and he was really interested in our church but was busy so we wanted to talk more with him if he was free." I just smiled and said I had no idea he was interested but I'll let him know you came by. So later that night I remember and say 'oh ya, your church buddies came by looking for you earlier'. He gets all irritated and grumbles which tells me he does not know how to politely say "not interested" and so now he's stuck stringing these folks along which in my opinion, is ruder than just saying "get lost".

10. JB74

JB74 Senior Stratmaster

Oh I loves me a religious troll.
    I lived in a small town on the central qld coast. Some decades ago:
    "regular" religious sales abuse by the local flock had our block residents annoyed.
    We had a 'relay-code' for their approaching it was so bad.
    one day, My neighbour 'George the knife' pulled a prank on the believers.
    He was a butcher by trade and looked like Saddam Hussein with a week of regrowth on a sunday morning.

He answered the knock on the door in a bloodstained apron and holding a steel in one hand, boning knife in the other, cigarette hanging out the corner of his mouth, he simply kept his nonchalance and said that he hadn't finished the kill, and that if they wanted to come in, wait or watch they'd be most welcome. He even offered them some pork product.

they turned and left with some urgency; never came back to the flats again.

I think it was the glint in his eye he gave that suddenly disturbed them.

we all had lots of celebratory BBQ beers over that one.

11. jaybones

jaybones Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Bad service at a GC???!

A teen being embarrassed by his father in public?????!

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

:D

BallisticSquid likes this.
  12. jaybones

jaybones Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I did something similar in my last term of college.

During the election, a guy came around knocking on door. I figured he was a pole taker, so I spoke with him. We chatted at length about what I, as a newly minted (to be) bachelor's in sociology thought of society's problem and of course how to fix them.

At the end, he pulled out a Watchtower and asked me if I was interested in donating either a nonperishable food item or some cash. Needless to say I did a quick and hasty retreat and rethink.

My address got on a list, and for a while there I had the same 2 little old ladies knocking on my door. I'd tell them I wasn't interested (couldn't tell them I was the 2 religions that turn them off- Catholic or Jewish), since I'd already told the first guy I was a protestant.

Finally just as I was firing up a number, they knocked on the door. Quickly I shed everything but my boxers and popped open a bottle of beer. Opened the door, and said "Hi ladies! I was just starting the party, wishing I had a couple women to hang out with. And here you are. Maybe a little old for me, but I'm always up for a challenge."

They looked like they were about to jump out of their skins, couldn't get away fast enough.

Never had another knock, but I did see them in the neighborhood.

3bolt79 likes this.
  13. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Senior Stratmaster

I used to have Jehovah’s Witnesses come to the door. When I told them what religion I was, after several months of materials being left on my door, they never came back. In fact I think they were a little worried.

14. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Can't have a thread without at least one of these comments.

My son plays drums, real drums, snareline, concert band, percussion ensemble, and jazz band. He can read the charts for all of it and this year played the most difficult snare solo for a highschool kid. Also did a mallets solo.

My son plays bass from Metallica to Monk. Last year he was the bass player for jazz band and played a tiny gig on bass for his prog rock project.

My son plays serviceable but not expert guitar mostly metal and math rock.

My son needs a midi controller so that he can write music on his laptop when he is not here with me.

Please take your tired stereotypes elsewhere, or maybe go interact with some young people. The youngsters come to my house not just for the pizza, but also for the opportunity to play music and record.

I am hopeful this will not embarrass my son.

BallisticSquid and JB74 like this.
  15. owenmoney

owenmoney Strat-Talker

They always gave us new ones ! I agree you shouldn’t put it back on the grill ! They would only put it back if none of it was eaten.

16. CB91710

CB91710 This is a Custom Title Gold Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Bingo.
    Minimum wage jobs are not careers.
    They are not intended to provide a "living" for a family.
    They are extra bucks for students.
    They are supportive and empowering for the mentally challenged.
    They teach responsibility and money management.
    They pay for guitars and amps when that falls a bit short :D
    They are supplemental income for retirees.
    Prove your value, and you can move up into management and actually make a career out of it. My friend from high school left California, got a job managing an Arby's, and purchased a home.

owenmoney likes this.
  17. stratomatt

stratomatt Strat-O-Master

I have a daughter and would never intentionally embarrass her. But dang, if I had a son all bets would be off. Like at guitar center when we were in earshot of an attractive girl his age I say "son, has your diarrhea calmed down? Let me know if you need to try making a bowel movement again."

18. 33db

33db Strat-O-Master

No.

19. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

It's our job as parents to embarrass our kids.

We had a situation a few months back where a chain BBQ restaurant that we used to like had started having poor service, long wait times, etc - and naturally, they ended up going out of business.

So one Friday night we were hungry and drove across town (in the rain, mind you,) to the same brand BBQ joint on the other side of town, thinking, "surely it was just the one close to us that was the problem."
    We sat for over 10 minutes, (even though they were not busy,) just waiting for a waitress to come by and acknowledge us; she finally takes our order and we wait another 30 minutes, only to find out that there was a "computer mixup" and our order had never been entered to the kitchen.
    I was like, "That it. We're out."
    We all got up to leave and my wife (aka "Julia Sugarbaker,") sprouts demon wings, flies over to the register, leaving a trail of blood and flame behind and proceeds to ream out the management and host staff, - slapping her hand several times on the counter and letting them know that "This is the reason the same restaurant by us went out of business, so if you all be unemployed in a couple of months, just KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!"

Never mess with a hangry woman.

I thought my kids (13 and 16,) were going to melt into the wallpaper. As we were walking to the car my daughter actually wanted to go back in and apologize. My wife said, "Screw that! THEY are the ones that should be embarrassed!"

We have a pretty good laugh about it now - it's a family joke now to slap the counter 4 or 5 times in rapid succession when mimicking rage.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    owenmoney and BallisticSquid like this.
  20. space

space Strat-Talker

They usually have sales quotas they are supposed to meet on the "extended service" plans

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.