EMF-Proof Underwear

mapleglo

Senior Stratmaster
Silver Member
Oct 25, 2015
phoenix
Mods, please delete if inappropriate.

So I've been seeing this ad quite often lately, here on Strat-Talk.

emf-proof underwear.jpg

Apparently, it's a thing. $45.00 a pair. Plus shipping, I would imagine. For those people who think that somehow, a Faraday cage around your privates is somehow going to make you safe. Of course, unless it's grounded, does it really do anything?

They sell hats too, for those who want the protection of a tin-foil hat, but with style.

It's made, in part, with silver thread. So they tout it as anti-bacterial as well.

simoncroft

Still playing. Still learning!
Silver Member
May 30, 2013
SE England
We're talking Electromotive Force. While phones emit it, and it is potentially carcinogenic, the only way that underwear will protect you is if you like talking out of your... :D

Better take the speakers out of your guitar rig too... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromotive_force

"Back EMF" is a factor that determines the interaction between your amp's output and the load it encounters from the speakers. Of My God, all these years... :D

Triple Jim

Guy Who Likes to Play Guitar
Silver Member
Feb 27, 2018
North Carolina
Of course, unless it's grounded, does it really do anything?
Yes, that's one of the neat things about a Faraday cage... if it's a closed conductive cage, no electromagnetic radiation can get to anything that's completely contained inside it. Grounding doesn't matter. The problem with the item in question is that it's not a completely closed conductive cage, since parts of the human body protrude through it. Therefore it's not a Faraday cage at all.

mapleglo

Senior Stratmaster
Silver Member
Oct 25, 2015
phoenix
Yes, that's one of the neat things about a Faraday cage... if it's a closed conductive cage, no electromagnetic radiation can get to anything that's completely contained inside it. Grounding doesn't matter. The problem with the item in question is that it's not a completely closed conductive cage, since parts of the human body protrude through it. Therefore it's not a Faraday cage at all.

This is why I like this forum so much. I learn something new every day. I had always thought a Faraday cage needed to be grounded. Apparently not.

Baelzebub

Dr. Stratster
Nov 1, 2019
State of Disbelief
FARADAY BOXER BRIEFS
$45

Keep the bad off your goods with our comfortable boxer briefs featuring:
  • No-roll waistband
  • Horizontal fly
  • Stay-put legs
  • Machine washable
  • Composition: 44% cotton, 39% silver, 17% nylon
https://getlambs.com/products/emf-proof-boxer-briefs

Well there have been articles on the reduced fertility of Western men.

Reduced fertility is probably a good thing, I'm thinking....

Triple Jim

Guy Who Likes to Play Guitar
Silver Member
Feb 27, 2018
North Carolina
This is why I like this forum so much. I learn something new every day. I had always thought a Faraday cage needed to be grounded. Apparently not.
In many cases a shielding cage needs to be grounded. Like if you have an electronic device inside that you want to sheild, but it has its power wires going though the cage. That's not a true Faraday cage, but you can get close if you ground the cage, since the device inside references ground.