EMG Pickup Wiring

Discussion in 'DIY Strat Forum' started by cronus, Jan 20, 2013.

1. cronus

cronus Strat-Talk Member

I am doing my first Strat build.

I have an Allparts Maple Neck, Allparts Candy Apple Red body, and EMG DG20 pickups.

I am at the point of doing my electronics and although the EMG DG20s are supposed to be solder free, plug and play type connection, for some reason mine is not like the ones seen on YouTube.

The wiring diagram that came with the pickups shows a single white coax cable coming from the circuit board under the tone knobs wired to the jack socket. It shows the shielding is soldered to the middle leg of the jack socket (stereo type for active pickups), and the 'hot' output is soldered to an outer leg of the socket.

The set of pickups I have does not have the white coax cable, instead it has two wires, green and black.

My question is which of the two wires (green or black) is the 'hot output' and is it correct the other one is the shield soldered to the middle leg of the jack plug?

Thanks in advance.
    Steven

2. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Most Honored Senior Member

I think green is hot, and black is ground.

I think the hot wire on the solderless pup connectors in the top one with the little arrow marker on the little black plastic connector.

I didn't think any of my pickup wires went to the jack, however.

The EMG site has all kinds of wiring PDFs you can download.

3. iChunk

iChunk Strat-Talk Member

I just did a emg install on a strat. In order for it to be complete solder less you have to purchase a solder less blade seperate. Give me a run down on the whole setup like how many pickup, vol, tone, blade an I can get you all the info you need. Also green is ran from bus to blade to input jack.

4. iChunk

iChunk Strat-Talk Member

Sorry I read it to fast earlier. On input jack black goes center. Green goes to right of black n white goes to left of it. White is the signal. Black grounds to reduce noise. If I recall correctly the green activates the system when pluged in.

Hope that helps

5. cronus

cronus Strat-Talk Member

I have soldered the green and two black wires as suggested above.

When I tested it (tapping on the pickups while it was plugged into my amp) I was getting sound out of all pickups regardless of the setting on the 5 way selector.

Should I swap the green and black wire around?

If its wired incorrectly could I damage any of the circuitry in the Dg20 features?

Thanks in advance.

Steven

6. rcole_sooner

Put up some pics.

7. iChunk

iChunk Strat-Talk Member

No you won't damaged them. The wires on your blade are incorrect or on the bus. I recommend a solder less blade it will get rid of the bus and it will be all plug in play.

If you can give me a run down of all your wires and how they are ran so I can get a idea of what you have going on and help find the problem. If the green was wrong you would have no sound at all coming out of pickups

Worth every penny.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EMG-5-Way-S...623?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item51a6c18a0f

NOTE: Don't feel bad, I had to call EMG tech when I did the new solderless install. I had done a few soldered installs over the years, but the new solderless really confused me.

8. iChunk

iChunk Strat-Talk Member

Okay I just looked at this set and the pdf on emg's site.

your three pickups with plug into the board as labeled.

Then you should have a connector with four wires: White, Red, Green, yellow. that got to blade. They will solder from position 1-5 direction:

Yellow
    Green
    Red
    White

Then from the next position on the board you have a connector with red and black wires that run to battery and have 9v end on it.

The last three position on board is for input jack. It plugs in then you have a Green wire and then a single wire with a sleeved black for ground and a bare. On the input jack it will solder, sleeved in center, green on right, and bare on left.

These directions are straight from emg's website

I don't understand why that kit wouldn't come with a solderless blade. I had to buy mine seperate cause I used a pieced together set, but for a signature set like that is should all be solderless. I did no soldering on my setup what so ever.

9. iChunk

iChunk Strat-Talk Member

Should look like this on input jack except yours solder and green would be on right. If it wouldn't cost me a ton an take forever I would mail you this to save you some hassle

Attached Files:

10. cronus

cronus Strat-Talk Member

Ok just before I began pulling my guitar apart I thought I would test it again.

I have three amps, two solid state (Vox) and a Peavey tube amp.

On my tube amp I could hear the tapping on the pickups with a screwdriver coming from the amp. Regardless of the setting of the setting on the 5 way switch I could hear all three pickups for each setting.

When I did the same test on both solid state amps no sound came out at all for any pickup on any setting.

I noticed the cable didn't go all the way into the jack, even with a bit of force. I took the cover off and the jack was free (still attached to the wiring). Reconnecting the cable it went all the way in.

I retested again with the cable fully in and it worked fine.

The cause of my problem is the short wires soldered to the jack which restrict the position of the jack. I need to extend the wires, perhaps with blades to allow better positioning of the jack to allow me to fully insert the cable.

Thanks for your input and advice.

Cheers
    Steven

11. iChunk

iChunk Strat-Talk Member

Glad to hear you got it worked out. I had the same problem with the wires being really short. I also had to drill out the hole going to my input jack, and knock out a lot of wood in the body cavity to get everything to fits properly.

Let me know how they sound. I have a SAx in the neck on my strat an love the tone of it. I just run a HS setup with a 81x in bridge. The 81 over runs the SA when together but the SA sounds awesome by itself on a older vintage crunch, and clean

12. rcole_sooner

LOL! I completely agree!!!

I put together a Charvel project I have been saving parts for (a guitar I wanted when I was younger). I figured I do it and throw it in its case just to have for old hair band stuff.

I find the SAx in the neck is just an awesome tone for some "cleaner" warm tones. It totally took me by surprise. The whole guitar did. Much lighter than my other Model IV and very stratty sounding. Well, except for the bridge position which is all 81 goodness.

[​IMG]

The wires were way too short. I had to solder extensions into the neck pup cables to get them to reach. Actually I soldered extensions into the shortest cable, used them for the neck, and the other longer cables worked for the middle and bridge pups.

I've still got my DG20 set in the closet too. I am waiting for a couple of more projects to come together so they can find a new home.

13. iChunk

iChunk Strat-Talk Member

HSS Charvel with a Roid. Ultimate Shred Machine.