Emg Sa set vs Gilmour set

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by Isotope, Jul 7, 2021.

1. Isotope

Isotope Strat-Talk Member

Hello everyone,
    I’m tempted to try some emg Strat pickups, and I’m curious to know if there’s pros / cons concerning the pots that come with the DG set as opposed to the regular pots. Is the expander similar to the mid-boost on a Clapton strat? Would I be better off using the regular emg sa set and simply using a mid boost pedal? I’m interested in him free pickups, I’m not necessarily interested in replicating a Ponk Floyd sound. Just basic all around blues and rock sounds - Clapton (Layla era) Hendrix, Buddy Guy, Joe Walsh, etc.
    thanks so much in advance.

2. Seamus OReally

Seamus OReally Mr. Serious Gold Supporting Member

I’ve found that the SPC makes my SA-X set super versatile. It’s a different quality than a pedal boost, which is usually full-spectrum… the SPC is, like the Clapton, a mid boost.

Antigua likes this.
  3. Isotope

What about the expander? What does that pot do?

4. Seamus OReally

I don’t know about the expander. I just use the SPC, which is similar to the boost in a Clapton Strat.

5. scooteraz

scooteraz Senior Stratmaster

The DG set is just a set of SA with different tone controls. A “regular” SA set (alnico magnets) has normal (for guitar) tone controls. You set them up like you would a Strat, and they roll off the high frequencies like a tone control on passive pickups. The DG set replaces both normal tone controls with a SPC and a EXG control.

The SPC goes from flat to having a mid hump with slightly rolled off lows and highs. This is often used to make the SA sound more PAF humbucker sounding. The EXG is more or less opposite in that it boosts the highs and lows and rolls off the minds. Think the traditional “V” EQ. This provides a bit more sparkle to your sound. But they are to be used separately. You roll one or the other on or off, together, they have a sort of weird boost.

I have a DG set, and I like them, but it does take a bit to get used to the controls.

Tone Deaf likes this.
  6. Antigua

Antigua Senior Stratmaster

I have the SA and SA X set with the SPC, any SBC is amazing, it does make the single coils sound more like humbuckers then any single coil sized humbucker on the market, but I can't imagine needing a mid scoop control on top of that. the SA and SA X are rather bright and scooped already. I think I prefer having a regular tone control too bring down some of the brightness.

Seamus OReally likes this.
  7. Isotope

Does the volume increase when the Spc is used? Also, is there a prewired set that includes the SPC, but not the expander? Or will I need to buy the pickups and spc separately? Thanks .

8. Seamus OReally

The Vince Gill prewired pickguard is set up just like mine: master volume, master volume, and the SPC, which does increase the output of the guitar and drives the front end of your amp harder. But with EMG’s solderless wiring, you just plug the little plugs in the right sockets, and Bob’s your uncle. Ordering the stuff you want and wiring it yourself is a cinch.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
  9. Isotope

I saw that last night with the Vince Gill set. But I think his are the S version of the EMGs as opposed to the SA versions in the DG set. I might get the DG set and just replace the exp pot with a 25k tone pot. I like the idea of a mid boost, but I’m not sure I would need the other one.

10. Antigua

Yes, the volume increases quite a bit in the mids.

I don't know about a pre-wired set, but since it's all molex-like hookups, no soldering, it's not that big of a deal to DIY. The SPC hookup is the same as an active tone knob.

Isotope likes this.
  11. Fenderbaum

Fenderbaum Strat-O-Master

It does boost it a bit. But i keep it down for clean tones to get a more stratty sound
    For fuzz i roll it up a bit.

12. Mikeylefty

Mikeylefty Be Kind Silver Member

I have the Gilmore set in a guitar and another guitar with regular SA pickups. In the Gilmore setup I sometimes wish I had tone control for the bridge to roll off a little. But when you turn up the spc for the bridge it gets less bright, thicker and louder., and sounds pretty D%*m good. The EXG (If I have the name right) control I almost never use - it goes thin and bright as you turn, you might use for R&B rhythm strumming.

Isotope likes this.
  13. Isotope

Do you still ground the pickups to the trem claw in the back of the strat?

14. Seamus OReally

Nope. No need.

Isotope likes this.
  15. Antigua

With EMGs you omit the claw ground wire.

16. Isotope

That’s interesting; why do the EMGs not need the grounding wire?

17. Seamus OReally

Beats me. But they don’t.

Isotope likes this.
  18. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein Silver Member

Because the preamps in the pickups are internally grounded tbrough the puckup ground.
    It definitely will mot hurt to have the claw grounded though. My Jackson, Charvel and Squier Contemporary HH Active all came with the claws or bridge grounded and were all original with Active pickups.

Isotope likes this.
  19. Antigua

Most of the noise from an electric guitar comes from the fact that there is high impedance across the circuit. The higher resistance results in higher noise voltage. EMGs are low impedance between the pickup and the amplifier. Grounding the strings might reduce the noise further, but it's not necessary since the noise is already low.

Isotope and Believer7713 like this.