Join Strat-Talk Today

Epiphone Dot vs Gibson 335

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by ryunker, Sep 11, 2015.

1. ryunker

ryunker Senior Stratmaster

As all I have researched they are pretty close in comparison, later today going to get one. Is there really that much noticeable differences that I should drop exponentially more cash on the Gibson?

Please help.

2. davidKOS

davidKOS sheltered Strat-Talk Supporter

You'd have to play them side-by-side to see if the extra money is worth it for you, but the Epi Dots I've played have been quite good.

3. strat1

strat1 Senior Stratmaster

Gibson smokes the epi without a doubt. Whether it's worth the price difference, that's another story.

4. Vindibona1

Vindibona1 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Though I would probably consider myself the King of Cheap Guitars, I would probably have to agree. A 335 is the one missing guitar in my collection, but haven't found anything close to an old Gibson.

5. mw13068

mw13068 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Yep. You just gotta try them both.

I bought a "SX" brand 335 copy from Ebay for under $200, and it quickly became my favorite guitar! My Strat hangs on the wall, looking pretty.

[​IMG]

6. stratman in va

stratman in va Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I have the AS73 from Ibanez, similar to the Dot. I suspect the big difference in Epi and Gibson is the pickups.

7. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I have a dot. If you get a dot good pickups really help close the gap. I could see workmanship issues between the dot and 335. But I am too much of a cheapass.......

8. KeepItWeird

KeepItWeird Resident weirdo

A friend of mine had a Dot for awhile. I've never played the Gibson one, but the Dot was just noticeably a cheap guitar. Like you could tell the tuners, bridge, etc, was not of a quality you would normally associate with a good guitar.

9. The Strat Dude

The Strat Dude Sticker bushes and Posy rules! Strat-Talk Supporter

I have had both, multiple dots. While the Gibson was just a Much better guitar in overall quality and fit and finish. With a pickup swap the Dots sounded fantastic. My last dot with mean 90s in it was awesome, (gave it to my son in law) I may have to do that again.

10. StratMike10

StratMike10 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I've owned an Epiphone "Lucille" as well as a Gibson 345 and a 335, and there was a significant difference in the workmanship, materials and finish, noticeable mostly when looking inside and around the F holes, the fretboard, and the pickup cavities. The Epi was much lighter also.
    How that translated into actual tone and playability was imperceptible to me, I outfitted it with classic 57' pickups and my ears and hands could not tell the difference even though my eyes could.

11. seanp33

seanp33 Strat-Talker

12. Vindibona1

Vindibona1 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

A friend of mine has a Heritage 535 and the Heritage Les Paul. I've played them both and can tell you that they are *very* close to the vintage Gibsons that we all know and love. Other than the goofy looking headstock shape I would give this brand 6 stars on a 5 star basis!

13. Henfield Strat

Henfield Strat Strat-O-Master

You will not regret a 335, one of the most versatile guitars I've ever owned, mines a 97 Nashville made and the build quality is s exceptional. Although I would also look at the Epi Elitist, nicely made and sounds good. But like everyone says you gotta try them. ImageUploadedByStrat-Talk forum1441996521.963476.jpg

14. davidKOS

davidKOS sheltered Strat-Talk Supporter

Heritage is under-rated....it is the real leftovers of Gibson's original Kalamazoo factory.

15. CaseCandy

CaseCandy Senior Stratmaster

Epiphone ES-335 Pro is an option worth looking at, it's not available in all territories.

16. Henfield Strat

Henfield Strat Strat-O-Master

Very true. People just got to get past the brand and accept its just as good as the Gibson name!

17. smurph1

smurph1 Senior Stratmaster

I've owned several Heritages and I agree they are very close to that "handmade" feel that we all want. They are even made at 225 Parsons St, in Kalamazoo!! But to answer your original question, I have a "Dot" and it's ok. But I'm really a Strat guy so I really don't know why I bought it. LOL

18. USAF Retired

USAF Retired Strat-Talker

The ironic timing of your post, and of me logging on today. This was just delivered to me via FedEx today. A "whim" purchase on eBay. I've not played it amplified yet, but I've gone over every centimeter and I can find absolutely no imperfection on it. The wood grain bursts through and it's gorgeous.

I've had several Epi's, and not regretted any one of those purchases (each sight unseen).

I've always been a Strat man, but there's always been something about seeing Clapton playing his 335 during the early days.

Something about this Epi scares me...it just....feels good. We'll see how it sounds, but even acoustically.....pretty good, boys.

Attached Files:

19. Stratty

Stratty Senior Stratmaster

I'd get a Sheraton, and I did.

20. TheRelact

TheRelact Strat-Talk Member

Here you find a very nice sound comparison between Gibson ES-335 and Epiphone Sheraton II from Guitar-View.com. Especially the rear part is very nice done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcCmVmLp-rw

If you are interested in, I have done a sound review and have compared the Alnico Classic Humbuckers versus the Wolfetone Dr. Vintage Humbuckers in my Epiphone Sheraton II.

Sample I: Neck PU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcRLCM9P-Ac

Sample II: Bridge PU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSPrQ-5WqnM

To give you an idea what is possible with pimping the ES-335 Style Guitars.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.