Epiphone Speaker Cab

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by lthan07, Jan 8, 2010.

1. lthan07

lthan07 Strat-Talk Member

I'm currently running my custom Strat through a 1965 Alamo Challenger. It only has a 10" speaker and i need to be able to keep up with drums without having to push my tubes and lose my clean sound. I was looking at the Epiphone speaker cab as a possible option and just wondering if its possible for me to daisy chain it with my Alamo? If not I'd like some suggestions on which other speaker cabs i should consider other than the Epiphone. Thanks for any help

2. TexBiker

TexBiker Strat-O-Master

Just so you know, adding a bigger cab won't really give you much extra volume and certainly won't increase your clean headroom enough to make a difference. For that, you'll need more amp wattage.

I can run my little (less than 10W) amps through a 1x10 cab or a 8x12 full-stack and not gain much volume. Your tone can become much "fuller" but it won't really be much louder. All things being equal, speaker efficiency is more important than the number of speakers.

More speakers do move more air, which can "seem" louder, but if you put a SPL meter next to a 1x12 or a 4x12 with the same efficiency speakers at the same amp settings, the readings will be virtually the same. I've done it and it surprised me until I sat down and thought about how this all works.

When you see the "Wall of Marshalls" behind the stage at concerts, many of them are just empty cabs up there for looks. Big cabs can certainly create "big sound" but not necessarily "louder sound."

3. lthan07

Thanks for the input. The only reason I considered the speaker cab as an option is because I really like the tone of my amp and I just want extra volume for jamming along with drums. I really want to invest in a Keeley Katana boost but don't have the money for it unfortunately, though it seems like it would solve most of my problems. Any other ideas?? I just feel it'd be a real bummer to disregard the great amp i have now simply because of a wattage issue

4. dhb2000usa

dhb2000usa Senior Stratmaster

5. zag1

zag1 Strat-O-Master

Thanx for the speaker cab info.

6. j2b4osan

j2b4osan Strat-Talker

you could always buy a cheaper 12" (correct ohm) speaker and build your own cab out of plywood easily. in my experience a 12" speaker just sounds much louder than a 10 at almost any volume. I just put a new 12" in my combo and it is definitely louder(to my ears and my band). most breakup comes from the amp not the speaker so wont really change headroom. you can find speakers that are good for certain tones so do some research and find something that suits your needs. warehouse guitar speakers has good deals on quality speakers some better sounding than the ones they copy.

I could also easily make you a custom cab for whatever speaker setup you would like.

7. Hugh

Hugh Got Cluck ?

8. lthan07

so would i use the custom cab as an extension cab or would i just simply upgrade the speaker in the amp itself?? like it was said before an added speaker cab apparently won't increase volume that much i don't know if that's true or not. Upgrading the speaker would be great and a cheaper alternative, i just don't know if the casing for my current amp is big enough for me to upgrade to a 12". But either way both options sound like something i could try

9. dhb2000usa

dhb2000usa Senior Stratmaster

I was reading some reviews on the Alamo (Alamo Challenger Model 2562: Harmony Central User Reviews) and I would take it by steps. First, if it still has the original 10" spkr I would replace it. I hear folks rave about the Eminence Patriot Ragin' Cajun 10". I have a 12" Patriot and it's great. Just be sure the ohms match with your amp. It that improves, great. If it only improves a little I would then swap the tubes. That can make all the difference for an amp. You can add a second cab/speaker, but it won't make you louder. It can add some bottom though.

10. lthan07

Thanks for the help. Everything is original including the tubes and the speaker. Upgrading those first should help

11. Carlsoti

Carlsoti Senior Stratmaster

If you're looking for volume, and are buying more speakers, look at the sensitivity rating, usually expressed in dB. the higher the number, the louder the speaker.

12. j2b4osan

j2b4osan Strat-Talker

you could mod the cab of the amp you have to accept the 12" speaker (if there is room with the tubes and all) by just routing the hole bigger. or you could make a simple yet effective new enclosure like i did with my modded epi.
    [​IMG]
    or you could make an extra speaker cab and try it out, at the very least you would get a wider range of tones. some speakers sound louder than others, some do bass very well some do treble well some love mids some love crunch and so on do some research and buy a knock off because in most cases the name brands arent all they are cracked up to be and are way to expensive in some cases.