Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups ad space available Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

EQ Pedal To Increase Gain?

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by ems977, Mar 19, 2017.

1. ems977

ems977 Strat-Talker

Aug 24, 2014
    Michigan
    Hey all. I use low output Custom Shop 69 pickups and I am trying to get more gain from an overdrive pedal (Tone City King of Blues). Just wondering if an EQ pedal with a level/gain control used before my OD pedal would work to sort of increase the output of my pickups and therefore allow the OD pedal to give me more gain. My amp is a Limited Edition Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III Tweed with Jensen C12N speaker. Thanks!

2. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    Sure, you can use an EQ as a clean boost.

3. ems977

ems977 Strat-Talker

Aug 24, 2014
    Michigan
    So this would increase the gain of the OD pedal? I have a Digitech Bad Monkey that has low and high tone control. If I experiment with the BM before my OD pedal could the BM act as an EQ pedal or would that color my tone more than an EQ pedal. Thanks. Just questions I am trying to ask before I actually buy an EQ pedal.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. nsnate02

nsnate02 Strat-Talk Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Nashville, TN
    Not an eq, but the EHX Soul Food (Klon clone) works very well as a an OD but also as a tremendous clean boost with a lot of gain. Just an idea.

6. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    The effect would be more subtle with the EQ pedal because you'd be just hitting the KOT with a "louder" signal. Use the volume on the EQ to increase gain and leave the EQ flat. I think the BM would color tone more than the EQ for sure; it's designed to do that, but it can be a good sound. Before my Klone build bumped it from my board, that all I used my TS-9 for, hitting my Simble a bit harder.

7. ems977

ems977 Strat-Talker

Aug 24, 2014
    Michigan
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I welcome others to give me their thoughts as well. Just trying to see how I can get more gain from my OD pedal with low output single coils.

8. TheDuck

TheDuck Senior Stratmaster

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    @ems977 - For years I used an EQ pedal as a boost in front of my Marshalls.

Push up the mids and roll off the highs, at least as a starting point. You can fine tune from there. I think you'll like what the EQ can do for single coil pups going into your HRD.

Raiders757 likes this.
  9. Robins

Robins Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 22, 2010
    Germany
    Seriously? more gain? you have two tube screamers in a row which is more gain than most people need.
    But if you really want more gain and more Marshall like tones from your single coils - I guess that is what you really want - get a Friedman BE-OD and use it for those xtra gain mayhem.
    Just keep your other pedals for use with your normal to go sounds.
    The Friedman just sounds amazing no matter which guitar or pickups. It just sounds killer. More gain than even a Black Metal needs.
    It sounds amazing with a good sounding clean amp like your Hot Rod Deluxe.

All the best,
    Robin

10. ems977

ems977 Strat-Talker

Aug 24, 2014
    Michigan
    Hi Robins.
    Maybe I didn't explain my set up correctly. I have only one Digitech Bad Monkey. I also have a Tone City King of Blues overdrive. The Tone City pedal is low to medium gain. I am trying to get more gain out of the pedal. I love the Tone City overdrive' stone but I wish it had more overdrive. My pickups are low output CS69s. I am asking if an EQ pedal before the Tone City King of Blues would keep the pedal's tone but increase the overdrive gain of the pedal. The eq pedal would sort of help act like my pickups have more output. I am not a crazy heavy metal distortion kind of guy. I am more bluesy rock. The Tone City pedal with my single coils does dot produce much breakup.
    Thank for the reply. Any additional suggestions are welcomed.

11. ems977

ems977 Strat-Talker

Aug 24, 2014
    Michigan
    Do you this an eq pedal used this way would push the Tone City King of Blues pedal into more overdrive?
    Thanks

12. Robins

Robins Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 22, 2010
    Germany
    Sure, I got your question right that´s why I answered like I did.
    The Toneking pedal is actually two of the same pedals. If that is the Tone City King of Blues pedal I found searching through the INet.
    Two of the same pedal (actually the Tube Screamer) with two different voicing. Switching on both of the switches puts the pedals in series resulting in very high output and more gain than can be of any use.
    Then you even have another overdrive which you can use in front of the Tone City anyway which is another Tube Screamer clone.
    Put the Bad Monkey in front of the Tone City overdrive on zero and you wouldn´t ever need any kind of EQ pedal.
    With 3(!) Tube Screamer circuits driving the first tube you can clip the tube into total clipping easy (too much).
    And yes, hitting the Tone City with a full open Bad Monkey will make the Tone City clip as well more.
    Hitting the tube is a way better idea though.

All the best,
    Robin

jimyjazz and ems977 like this.
  13. ashcastermetal

ashcastermetal Senior Stratmaster

Jun 1, 2012
    NYC
    Of course you can use an EQ as a boost, anyone who says otherwise simply does not understand gain stacking works.

You'd pump the gain and any frequencies you want into something that's already clipping/compressing, so you won't hear it as a volume boost rather it will cause the amp/pedal to clip harder that you're going into.

On EQ

On Gain Stacking

14. ems977

ems977 Strat-Talker

Aug 24, 2014
    Michigan
    Thank you for taking the time to reply. That is why I like this forum. I am able to learn so much so quickly from people that are more experienced that I am on certain things. I appreciate it!

Robins likes this.
  15. ems977

ems977 Strat-Talker

Aug 24, 2014
    Michigan
    Thank you for your response. I am pretty sure I've seen these videos in the past but I will watch them again now that I understand better what they are discussing. Thanks a lot!

Robins likes this.
  16. ems977

ems977 Strat-Talker

Aug 24, 2014
    Michigan
    Will this work into a clean channel amp at low volumes? Or, does the amp already have to be on the edge of break up? Thank you.

17. ems977

ems977 Strat-Talker

Aug 24, 2014
    Michigan
    Will this work into a clean channel amp at low volumes? Or, does the amp already have to be on the edge of break up? Thank you.

18. ashcastermetal

ashcastermetal Senior Stratmaster

Jun 1, 2012
    NYC
    It should be before something that is already clipping, whether it be an amp or pedal. You're pushing the input of whatever that is with a stronger/louder signal. if there's no clipping going on then everything will just get louder... or more of whatever frequency you boosted/cut.

Hope I'm making sense.

Robins and ems977 like this.
  19. TheDuck

TheDuck Senior Stratmaster

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    Sure. You can use it to push the front of an amp, or a drive pedal. Theoretically, it's the same thing

20. jimyjazz

jimyjazz Senior Stratmaster

May 15, 2015
    New Zealand
    It will work into a clean low volume amp ... you just have to adjust the drives on the pedals to taste ...

21. jimyjazz

jimyjazz Senior Stratmaster

May 15, 2015
    New Zealand
    Just try stacking your bad monkey into the tone city or vice versa and play around with them . Whatever happens you should be able to generate as much or as little drive as you want.