Eric Johnson signature Stratocaster. What are your thoughts on it?

Sushi313

Strat-Talk Member
Oct 10, 2021
California
I’ve been looking to sell my PRS S2 Custom 24 to purchase either a Tele or Strat and an EJ Strat is up for sale locally. It’s from 2006 in white blonde. I’ve read that his signature Strats have a 12 inch radius board. I’m accustomed to Gibson guitars more than anything else and I feel like having that radius on a Strat would feel more at home. What do you think?
Hello there, I just purchased a '06 white blonde a few weeks ago! The previous owner kept it in awesome condition. It feels broken in! I am very thankful to have it hearing such great things about the strat! Plays and sounds awesome! Very solid guitar! Hope you get a chance to try one before you buy. Or seller has a good return policy. But I think you'll be happy. '06 is the second year of production I believe.

Attachments

• 20220613_160928.jpg
    20220613_160928.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 5

Hanson

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 3, 2016
Mesquite, Texas
Love mine. The first time I played one I didn’t even notice that the neck had a 12” radius. It’s one of the most comfortable necks I’ve played. Mine was used and the neck was already broken in.

I really like the tone of the semi hollow body and the guitar is very light, which I’ve grown to love.

I did notice that the action was a little stiff. I removed a spring and adjusted the spring claw a touch and it plays just perfect now.

575B2C3E-7103-4101-97FB-18BE38236CC2.jpeg

Last edited:

somebodyelseuk

Strat-O-Master
Jan 29, 2022
Birmingham UK
I'm with Ebidis on the 'f hole'...

It's a Fender that costs a fair few quid, right?
It'll be well made, sound pretty good, play really well.
You need to try one out, for yourself.

My shoes are supremely comfortable... on MY feet.

HSH Classic Vibe

Strat-Talker
May 29, 2022
Republic of Squierland
That F hole looks awesome! I have a thinline tele, and it's the classiest Fender I own.

CY120503131-front-large - Copy.jpg

It is also lighter weight because of it -- something that greatly appeals to me -- as well. I'm not a fan of artist models and don't know who Eric Johnson is, but the body certainly appeals to me. Keep in mind that even if the 12" radius is familiar, the soft V shape of the back of the neck might be quite different than what you are used to on Gibson. Not sure about other Strats, but the Player Plus (with rolled fretboard) also has a 12" radius.

l88vette

Strat-O-Master
May 15, 2010
US
I've played a couple of EJ's and really liked them. Fantastic neck. A friend just bought a Virginia model and is returning it. Quality for the price didn't seem to be there and the pickups were just too bright. The one the op is looking at should be an excellent guitar though.

Stratoskater

Fuzz Meister General
Feb 8, 2011
Naked in NC
Great guitar - I just don’t dig the pickups
You are the first person I’ve ever heard say that. They are one of Fenders most sought after pickups. They were the reason I bought 3 of these guitars. Of course it kind of makes sense if you like the Clapton pickups. They are so different than the EJ’s, probably why I don’t like the EC Strat although I love the neck on it. I had someone offer me $450 for the pickups in my first EJ before they were sold separately years ago.

EC Strat

Senior Stratmaster
Gold Supporting Member
Dec 16, 2018
Louisville Kentucky
You are the first person I’ve ever heard say that. They are one of Fenders most sought after pickups. They were the reason I bought 3 of these guitars. Of course it kind of makes sense if you like the Clapton pickups. They are so different than the EJ’s, probably why I don’t like the EC Strat although I love the neck on it. I had someone offer me $450 for the pickups in my first EJ before they were sold separately years ago.
This is the EJ model where the pickups are A5 /A 2’s right or 3’s? I think he had one of his sig lines with with a set that had a mix of magnets. For single coils I really prefer straight up A5’s.

In my Clapton strat, which is my #1, I actually replaced the fender vintage noiseless with SD STK 4’s, then finally one more switch to SSL 1/1/5 Guitar sounded great with each set but I’m set with the ssl’s the guitar sings.

You’re right, the neck is fabulous.

Stratoskater

Fuzz Meister General
Feb 8, 2011
Naked in NC
This is the EJ model where the pickups are A5 /A 2’s right or 3’s? I think he had one of his sig lines with with a set that had a mix of magnets. For single coils I really prefer straight up A5’s.

In my Clapton strat, which is my #1, I actually replaced the fender vintage noiseless with SD STK 4’s, then finally one more switch to SSL 1/1/5 Guitar sounded great with each set but I’m set with the ssl’s the guitar sings.

You’re right, the neck is fabulous.
Yep they are a mix of different mags but I can’t remember the makeup exactly. The middle is hotter than normal so EJ could set it really low to not hit it while picking but still maintain volume level with neck and bridge.