Eric Johnson Strat- Maple vs Rosewood?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by NobleSteed, Nov 12, 2011.

1. johnthomas

johnthomas Strat-Talker

This was my experience while test playing EJ starts. I loved the sustain and the slightly brighter tone on the maple and white EJ, but hated the feel of the fretboard.
    When compared to modern spec these EJ maple necks are slathered with clear gloss.
    Despite the slightly superior tone of the maple, I went with the bound rosewood. Though it has been called a lot of names the Aqua Firemist color looks like Dick Dale's rhythm guitar player's guitar, which is as classic as it gets.
    If you like the maple, try several as some are probably closer to what you prefer.

2. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Senior Stratmaster

One of my "money is no object" dream Strats is a Palomino Brown EJ Strat body (that comes only with Rosewood necks) mated with a EJ Maple neck.

Geet and Paperback Rocker like this.
  3. flamedmaple69

flamedmaple69 Strat-Talker

Thanks for the info.

Can you compare your rosewood ej to the 50's classic v neck?

Very curious which is thicker and will sit deeper in my palm

4. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General

The EJ feels fatter since the V is not as pronounced but I think they both come to about the same depth as far as total thickness. I have never had a neck feel as comfortable as my EJ does.

flamedmaple69 likes this.
  5. stevierayfan91

stevierayfan91 DEEPLY SHY.

hi, buddy

generally, most of the 50's V profile neck contours will be thicker and deeper on back ; with more shoulder is the term.
    the '56 shape V is

if you are looking , Musikraft custom company will make neck in any desired thickness wanted. with correct licensed from Fender headstock.

flamedmaple69 likes this.
  6. flamedmaple69

flamedmaple69 Strat-Talker

Thanks again for the feedback. I want a chunky neck that still provides me the ability to get a vintage v shape feel. Very close to buying a turq ej like you

Stratoskater likes this.
  7. lonegroover

lonegroover Senior Stratmaster

That's generally true for rosewood boards vs maple boards though I'd say "toppier" rather than thinner. The difference is not that subtle to me. Another reason I prefer rosewood boards is that I find them a little easier to play for long periods of time, I suspect because the frets are embedded in a softer wood.

8. Stratoskater

I’m betting you would not be disappointed..

9. robertkoa

robertkoa Strat-Talk Member

I think generally Strats are overrated guitars and get the boost from the great players who have used them and they do obviously have distinctive tones.

But the EJ guitars are much easier for me to play due to the 12 inch radius and I find the resonance and sustain and beefier low end and you can hear acoustically in a very quiet room these are some really excellent more boutique sounding guitars .

I think even the maple boards have a bit deeper tone than most maple neck Strats and this makes the Rosewood and Maple models ( even unplugged a bit closer in sound ).
    However for some reason EJ himself sounds a little more focused on the Maple.

I played an EJ Maple in a Best Buy that was just a great dark sustainy even toned Strat a little heavy in the body once which was $1399 new (!) .

And someone in MAE Music Ft Laud Fl handed me one of the first EJs light as a feather ringy unplugged super resonant , a little twangy for me , I like the darker sounding ones but for those who love vintage Strats - that would have been holy grail.

Anyway I am a big fan of these - if the frets were a little bigger like the Jescar Medium Jumbos - I would like these even more .

I think they are extremely good guitars and I am a fan of them - might even own one some day .

An unusual signature model - that actually is a cut above or two (!) most Strats including those nice team built custom shop Strats they used to sell - only these sound better to me more open and wide range of tones.

I played about 5 of them over 10 or so years and they were all a little different.

The very early one had that different neck carve up to the 5th or 6th fret which was a little weird for me ...the one at Best Buy many years later had a uniform carve all the way up .

I was amazed because my fingers use to kind of drag on maple necks for vibrato , but very minimal on that one - the neck just disappeared for me and was very fun to play .

Lively tones but not thin , great Strats .

I hope they are all still this good .

Probably due to the musical genius of EJ himself Fender must make these more like Team Built Custom Shop instruments - sounds like it anyway.

*I doubt if very many vintage Strats sound as good as these EJs.

10. robertkoa

robertkoa Strat-Talk Member

As a Blackmore fan / player / - do you find it easier to get the sustainy Blackmore type tones from the EJs compared to most other unmodded Strats ?

Guessing yes ...

11. Straticus

Straticus Strat-Talker

Sustain on my EJ Strat is very good. Not as good as my Gretsch 59 Smoke, but very good.

12. Deviljho

Deviljho Strat-Talk Member

Came across the Thinline Eric Johnson model, and I think it’ll be my next Strat purchase. However, I already have so many maple neck guitars, and would prefer a rosewood.

Not knowing anything about The Eric Johnson strat releases, maybe someone could clue me in? Is it likely that Fender will release a future Thinline model with a rosewood board? The maple thinline seems to be discontinued, and I’m not huge on buying a siggy guitar, only to switch out the neck for something else.

13. Stratoskater

No it’s not likely. EJ talked about the Thinline in an interview when it came out. It was for his tour in 19 where he played Ah Via Musicom in its entirety. A lot of that album has Eric’s 335 on it. He wanted one guitar that could capture the ES and Strat together so Fender made the Thinline. They’re on to Virginia now. The RW EJ was because Eric mentioned to Fender how much he dug the 60’s bound RW model they made a limited run of when he was a kid, so they made him one. I’ve owned the original, rosewood and Thinline and they’re all awesome.

Deviljho likes this.
  14. MGW-AB

MGW-AB Strat-Talker

Maple or rosewood?
    Correct.
    Those are the choices.
    What do you like?
    That's your answer.

15. Deviljho

Deviljho Strat-Talk Member

Appreciate this, thank you.

Stratoskater likes this.