Join Strat-Talk Today

Eric Johnson Thinline

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by johnnywizzo, Mar 24, 2019.

1. 68deluxe

68deluxe Strat-Talk Member

2. BlueCajun

BlueCajun Senior Stratmaster

Totally agree. Personally, I would love either the Turqoise or Lucerne Aqua Firemist with a maple neck.

3. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

Yes, these are made in USA guitars. Why do you ask?

4. johnnywizzo

johnnywizzo Strat-Talker

I ask because I don't see where it says "made in USA" on the guitar. I'm not doubting that they are, I just thought that it was unusual.

circles likes this.
  5. Jerryarnett

Jerryarnett Strat-Talker

I think the reason why they dont is to be kinda faithful to the original 50's models as far as I know they didnt say made in the USA also

Andrew Wasson and johnnywizzo like this.
  6. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Most Honored Senior Member

Yep it’s to be like the 50’s Strats they are modeled after. They also have the serial number on the neck plate just like the vintage ones. This is why EJ also did not put his signature on the headstock like other artist models.

7. Brother_Hesekiel

Brother_Hesekiel Strat-Talk Member

68 Deluxe . . . is that a 2008 model?
    I'm asking because one YouTube video mentioned that in 2008 they introduced a Rosewood EJ in red, and with red I don't mean CAR. Never seen one, but it would be my preference.

8. Stratoskater

It was called Dakota red. They no longer come in that color. I know they made them through around 2013. Now the only come in tropical turquoise and Lucerne mist.

9. No457 Snowy

No457 Snowy Strat-Talk Member

Not sure about Fender but I recall Martin stopped using "Made in USA" on their guitars a couple of years ago due to the wood content being mostly sourced from overseas (Rosewood, etc) and so they apparently did not fall within the new Made in USA guidelines. Not sure how that plays out for Fender with Rosewood and or Maple in the mix but it might be a reason.

"According to the Federal Trade Commission, "Made in USA" means that "all or virtually all" the product has been made in America. That is, all significant parts, processing and labor that go into the product must be of U.S. origin. Products should not contain any — or only negligible — foreign content."

https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/bus...made-products-what-businesses-need-know-about

circles likes this.
  10. Andrew Wasson

The EJ Strat was modelled after Eric’s 57 Stratocaster. The 57 Stratocaster did not have a Made in USA decal on the headstock. From what I’ve read none of Leo Fender’s Fender guitars had a Made in USA anywhere on them. It wasn’t until some time later (maybe late CBS era) where they began stamping them with Made in USA. You won’t find Made in USA on the headstock of the AVRI models either.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
  11. montemerrick

montemerrick you can't stay the fool Strat-Talk Supporter

holy smokes that's a beauty!!!!

circles likes this.
  12. montemerrick

trees arent made

Stratoskater likes this.
  13. No457 Snowy

Probably have to ask how the law is defined, nevertheless Martin decided to err on the side of caution and stopped using the stamp. It's possible the wood is considered a part/material and if the wood is sourced from trees grown outside the USA it is considered a "foreign" material and not of USA origin.

14. No457 Snowy

Yeah, as I mentioned I wasn't sure how it would pan out for Fender, given the historical uses of the label with their guitars. I was just giving an example that in recent years (2015) another icon guitar maker (CF Martin) had stopped using the label due to law changes.

15. montemerrick

by California law? or by US law?

16. No457 Snowy

17. Stratoskater

You actually won't find Made in USA on any of the Fender's now. The Am Pro says Corona CA on the front (no made in) and has a US prefix for the serial number on the back. I believe that is due to the law @No457 Snowy is citing. Rather than risk an issue they like many other manufacturers decide to just remove the Made in USA part.

18. johnnywizzo

johnnywizzo Strat-Talker

I had read where it was California law that prompted Martin to eliminate "made in USA".

19. Andrew Wasson

I noticed the “Corona CA” on the Am Pro guitars. I didn’t realize all of them have changed to follow suit. I wonder how recent that change was. I would think the Made in USA was a valuable marketing tool so it must be a legal reason they changed it. That said, I don’t think it has anything to do with the EJ Strat. I don’t think the EJ Strat has ever sported a Made in USA decal and none of the MIA Vintage reissues I’ve seen have had a Made in USA decal either.

I’ve read that on the AVRI guitars it’s because those stickers didn’t exist until sometime more recent like the 80’s. I’ve also read that Eric Johnson was a stickler for detail which is why he didn’t sign the headstock and the serial number is on the neck plate. I haven’t seen it in any interviews or anything though so I can’t say if that’s just speculation on the Internet. My EJ is a 2012 and doesn’t have any marking to indicate that it’s Made in USA. I haven’t taken it apart so I don’t know what the insides might be stamped with. It’s one of the few guitars I’ve played where I feel no need to take it apart or change a single thing.

Stratoskater likes this.
  20. Stratoskater

Yep, you are correct the EJ has not ever had the Made in USA on it. I too have read that he did not want his signature on it and wanted the serial number on the neck plate not the headstock.

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.