Join Strat-Talk Today

Ernie Ball Skinny Top Beefy Bottom

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by Nate D, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Nate D

Nate D Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Anyone use these? Ive been a huge fan of Slinkys for over 20 years and love them but these intrigue me... thoughts or experiences?

8F2E6994-0EB2-4496-9490-CCACAF340451.jpeg

2. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General Strat-Talk Supporter

I’ve been using their 10.5-48 set they came out with last year on my PRS Custom 22 with 25” scale so they feel like 10-46 on a Strat. I’m thinking about putting a set on my Silver Sky though because for some reason that guitar plays much easier and slinkier than any Strat I can recall. Love em.

Nate D and 3bolt79 like this.
  3. Stratafied

Stratafied Senior Stratmaster

I’m curious myself, I use slinky 10s.

3bolt79 and Nate D like this.
  4. The Panhandler

The Panhandler Strat-Talk Member

I have these strung up on an SG and they are awesome. Great for distortion and drop tuning. Lots of tension though. I had to get a set up when switching from regular 10s.

5. fezz parka

fezz parka Duke of Dilligaf Strat-Talk Supporter

That's what Beck uses...:)

6. CleverParasite

CleverParasite New Member!

I've been a guitar salesman and tech for years, and this has allowed me to try out almost every type of major name guitar string there is. I've come to the conclusion that Ernie Ball slinkys are the cheapest acceptable electric guitar string available. Cheap meaning money, not quality. That said, EB has recently blasted the guitar string rack at your local guitar shop with new combinations of gauges, calling them "X Slinkys" where X is an attention-grabbing word and each one is colored vividly. Skinny top Burly Bottom, Burly Slinkys, Mammoth Slinkys, skinny top heavy bottom, Hybrid Slinkys, Beefy Slinkys...it goes on. That said, the only diff between your typical skinny top heavy bottom, or 10-52 set, is that strings 5 and 6 are both .002" fatter. Two thousandths of an inch may not seem like much, but it'll kick your lower power chords up in fatness a bit. Of course, when switching string gauges, you always wanna give it a full setup, especially if you don't use a hard tail. at bare minimum adjust the truss rod, claw screws, intonation, and action. I realize all this is obvious to the point of insulting, I didn't mean it to be like that, I just started typing.

7. CleverParasite

CleverParasite New Member!

The Silver Sky, having the same scale length as a std Strat, will react to 10s vs 9s much as a strat with a vintage radius neck, 7.25." The reason the Sky plays much slicker than any strat you can recall is because of PRS's outrageous precision and attention to fit and finish. A Stratocaster built by one of the old master builders in the 90s custom shop would blow your mind, and the Silver Sky, away. But they're goin on $7-10k these days. I worked at PRS a while, in final assembly as well as finishing, but in assembly I saw the unadvertised reason why their trems play with the perfect amount of slickness while remaining perfectly in tune. The six mounting screws, like the vintage fender trem, are the pivot point against the bridge plate. But PRS has their screws custom made with a shallow ring filed into the screw shaft about 1/16" beneath the screw head, and that ring is perfectly beveled and polished. Also the bridge plate is filed thin and even thinner around the six holes, also beveled and polished. Thus the six screws, drilled equidistant into the body, against the six holes in the bridge plate, lock against each other in a "knife edge" pivot that Fender could only hope to achieve. I guess I should also say that being a Central Maryland guitarist, born and raised, I have a bit of a bias in support of the hometown hero, Paul Smith.

8. guitarchaeologist

guitarchaeologist Artist Formerly Known as π Strat-Talk Supporter

I used the Beefy Slinkys for a couple years, but the 22p G-string was a little much (after a while I replaced these with a 20p) ,
    but the last year or so I have been using D'Addario med top, heavy bottoms XL116s.
    They are a little lighter than what I am used to, but I really like the sound and longevity of these.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Nick-O and Nate D like this.
  9. Nate D

I found that most of my Fenders don't jibe well with 11's, even when my hands were at their strongest. The 22 gauge G string would be tough.

That's it, I'm going to get them so I can sound just like him ;)

fezz parka likes this.
  10. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Wow that's even more than the DimeBag High Voltage 10-52

11. stevierayfan91

stevierayfan91 Deeply SHY. Strat-Talk Supporter

Hi, @Nate D -Buddy.

I was considering some 10.5 Slinky sets for my Les Paul.
    Would the .048 low E still be vibrato-able for jamming on AC/DC songs ?
    Angus Young will bend a chord or 2 sometimes during soloing.

I had .010 to .052 on and found the low E was less able to have thar done.

3bolt79 likes this.
  12. Nate D

I would imagine so... I think those would work just fine for some AC/DC stuff on your LP Ben.

13. fezz parka

fezz parka Duke of Dilligaf Strat-Talk Supporter

Well...if you listen to him...its really about the honk he gets on the wound strings. Like a baritone sax.

Nate D likes this.
  14. Nate D

I definitely agree, but I don't use the trem, so I can't do his stuff like you can. I'm interested if these strings give a little more thump on the bottom end. I'm gonna get some to see I think.

But I was just reading an interview with Jeff Beck's guitar tech earlier today and he said the following:

upload_2020-3-26_14-35-28.png

Full interview here: https://guitar.com/features/interview-with-steve-prior-jeff-becks-guitar-tech/

Bob the builder likes this.
  15. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General Strat-Talk Supporter

Yeah I know all about how the silver sky is made and the PRS bridge as I also own a Core Custom 22 and owned 3 other PRS over the past several years. I've also owned 2 CS strats and 3 EJ strats. I did not say slick though, I said slinky. The bridge pivot has nothing to do with the slinkiness of the strings only scale length and resulting string tension will effect slinky feeling on bends. Also all of my 27+ Fender Strats I have owned had floating bridges and the SS is decked so that should make it stiffer to bend as well. Not sure why the SS with 10's feels like a Fender with 9's but it does.

Nate D likes this.
  16. Nate D

Rob... now you're making me wanna check one out :)

17. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Most Honored Senior Member

Been using skinny tops/ heavy bottoms
    10-52 for a bit.
    I like em

Nate D likes this.
  18. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Haven't used the Ernie Ball's, but I used to use a similar set by D'Addario. I really liked them a lot, but have gone back to a regular 10 gauge set simply because they cost less, and I am a cheap bastid.

3bolt79 likes this.
  19. Nate D

They’re only $5 a set for the Ernie Ball’s.

20. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Yep, but I can usually get D'Addario, or GHS Boomers standard 10 sets for $4.00 a set, or a little less. That ads up when you're buying 10 or more sets at a time.

Bob the builder and Nate D like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.