Join Strat-Talk Today

EROS Guitar owners unite

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by zombiewolf, Jun 23, 2012.

1. zombiewolf

zombiewolf Strat-Talk Member

I am interested in finding out just how many EROS (not E-ROS) guitars are out there in the rock and roll universe. It was the discovery of one of these gems that had me wanting to learn more about the Japanese manufacturers of the 1970's. As far as I can determine thus far the EROS branded Les Paul black beauties that I have were manufactured by a mob called Matsumoku who appear to have made these for distribution in the UK as EROS as well as being sold in the US as Univox. You will not believe how easy they are to play due to their great low action and the sound that they put out makes them a true weapon of mass seduction proving that no one has to spend thousands of dollars to get 'the sound' of 'real rock & roll'. Additionally these are true vintage guitars and the fact that mine are still all original and working great after all these years is testimony to just how well they were built. If you have or know of one of these survivors of the 70's let me know, I would be very interested to hear from you.

2. fenderkev

fenderkev Most Honored Senior Member

I had one of the EROS Black Les Pauls around 1972. It was an upgrade on my Bells Catalogue £18 Strat copy. I remember it was better than that one at least. Traded it eventually for an EKO acoustic. One thing I do remember about the EROS, is that when I took the pups out, they were a plastic single coil in a humbucker chrome cover. Wasn't a bad sounding guitar despite that! It was the last Les Paul I ever owned though!

3. Johnny Gothdady

Johnny Gothdady New Member!

[​IMG]Good day.i know this post is a year old but i came across wile looking into eros guitars.
    I have recently aquired a beautiful eros telecaster.It obviously has some battle scars but for a 40 yr old axe she is in great condition and is a dream to play.its got an actual fender 3 saddle bridge which is nice.at some point it has been refretted with litterally none existant frets which i doubt were standard but cant know for sure.thwy are less than 1mm high i would say, making it possible to have a super low action.but the best thing about it is the sound.it has that authentic tele tone but with some serious balls behind it too.both pups are chrome which i've not seen on a tele before.I have heard and played many fenders and tbh , never come across 1 that sounds as gud as this thing and i got it for a mere £100 from a friend who paid the same for it.he got rid of it coz it was too gud at being a tele as he owns a beautiful pre law suit tokai tele, but he says it needs to be constantly pushed where is the eros pumps out an amazing sound with no trouble at all.ahh well.his loss my gain...also i should mention that the fretts make it a dream to play slide on without having to raise the action...i absolutely love the thing, specially asfor many years i have excepted i will probably never own a fender that is the same quality is my eros, let alone a true vintage piece of history and art like the eros.
    Anyhoo.dont even know if anyone will ever read this but it was just nice to rattle on about my lovely guitar.lol

4. zombiewolf

G'Day Johnny, Great to finally hear from someone who has found the magic that these unknown gems have. I have been looking for EROS guitars on UK ebay for a few years now (I have never seen another one here in Australia or anywhere else) and I can confidently say that you have scored yourself a very rare and awesome guitar. There is a Stratocaster as well that was made by EROS. I did see an ES335 copy once that looked good as well. I would love to know exactly who it was in the UK in the 1970's that contracted Matsumoku to build these quality instruments, because he my friend is a bloody legend. They are certainly very inspirational to play and you are a member of a very exclusive club. All we need now is for some commercial muso knob out there like Bustin Jieba to pick one up and we are sitting on a goldmine lol

5. Dav Owens

Dav Owens New Member!

EROS Strat

I have an Eros strat that I received as a Christmas present some 33 years ago. I still have it and it still plays well although there are one or two things that need replacing/repairing. I was amazed to read that they are now regarded as collectors items, as at the time it was just a mid-priced copy (mine cost around £100 in 1979/80). It has been gigged once or twice in the very early days and has just been played at home for the rest of the time. It is still in very good condition with no major damage to the paintwork or neck. It has a sunburst body with a red 'swirl' type scratchplate and a rosewood fingerboard. Does anybody know how much these things are worth...?

Dav

6. Tee H C

Tee H C Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

not one pic

7. zombiewolf

so you wanna see a picture hey ???

Matsumoku built guitars

Attached Files:

8. zombiewolf

What the hell, while I am at it, this you have to see....

This is a vintage Maton guitar that was 'customised' by Australia's first female tattooist (not my guitar unfortunately).

Attached Files:

9. scotchboy

scotchboy New Member!

eros strat

hi i have an eros strat i am renovating i think mine has had a few mods
    over the years i am trying to get it as original as possible but i have
    never seen any have you any photos i could have alook at

10. eros335

eros335 New Member!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
  11. eros335

eros335 New Member!

Don't know if anyone cares, probably not but when I got this guitar I took it all apart cleaned everything and set it all up nicely,
    when taking the neck off I found that someone had put a shim in there, I left it out because I wanted to see what it was like, turns out pretty good but with a tiny amount of fret buzz, so I thought I'd try a shim,
    took neck off added shim, worse,
    took neck off removed shim,
    put neck back exactly the same only now it has a very very high action, unplayable, nothing like how it was when I first set it up.
    Anyone know what could possibly have caused this?
    (Also sorry if this is the wrong place to put this but I thought someone looking for these types of old guitars might find it this way)

12. Acid Grandpa

Acid Grandpa New Member!

Eros MKII Les Paul copy, sun burst. Got mine in 71 or 72. Had to use D5 to get the pots working clean. Frets are near gone though, otherwise fits like a glove. :

13. kwhkwh

kwhkwh New Member!

hi I have an EROS les paul plays great low action fabulous sound lawsuit 70s happy also bought a Gibson LP copy from a boot sale on sunday thought I had made a bad move until I put new strings on plugged in and wow fantastic again low action MIJ guitars are good for me...kev

14. JuansEros1

JuansEros1 New Member!

15. JuansEros1

JuansEros1 New Member!

Hey..EROS guitar fans...i have maybe one of possibly two of the rarest EROS telecaster to exist....bought it in new york back in 1974 at silver and holland music store at lower manhattan blonde color, mahogany neck, 1950 style, changed the neck pickup in 1975 still a cool baby and sounds great. Could be one lawsuit fighting items around...

Cerb likes this.
  16. Cerb

Cerb Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Pictures please :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.