Ever burned your fingers and think about it forever?

FrieAsABird

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 18, 2020
Germany
Well, I think I can say about myself that I know my way around the web, and I’ve been active on the most popular marketplace for used stuff here in Germany for years. Over 200 ads and only positive feedback, and my experience has been overwhelmingly positive both as a seller and as a buyer.

Sadly, I burned my fingers once, more or less exactly one year ago: A guy way down in Bavaria offering a nice Harley Benton SG, great price, good feedback, account has been up for months… So I sent him an offer, he accepted, perfect! Said he didn’t have PayPal… Okay, so bank transfer it is. 50€, nothing too bad but still, not exactly pennies either. Guy is all nice and tells me he’s gonna ship it the next day, doesn’t reply for a day and then says he sent it, doesn’t have any shipping info tho- threw away the paper bla bla bla. I gave him the benefit of the doubt, until I had enough.

He stopped replying after one week when I told him I was gonna go to the police, and when I did, they basically said it’s way too little money for them to look into it. So basically, I’m just out of luck. So I’ve been annoying the guy whenever he posts something new, but he never replies.

I hate that guy, I’ll tell you that! At least karma is gonna bite his arse someday I hope… Have you experienced something similar?

J-Mart

Senior Stratmaster
Jul 17, 2020
Tx
Well, I think I can say about myself that I know my way around the web, and I’ve been active on the most popular marketplace for used stuff here in Germany for years. Over 200 ads and only positive feedback, and my experience has been overwhelmingly positive both as a seller and as a buyer.

Sadly, I burned my fingers once, more or less exactly one year ago: A guy way down in Bavaria offering a nice Harley Benton SG, great price, good feedback, account has been up for months… So I sent him an offer, he accepted, perfect! Said he didn’t have PayPal… Okay, so bank transfer it is. 50€, nothing too bad but still, not exactly pennies either. Guy is all nice and tells me he’s gonna ship it the next day, doesn’t reply for a day and then says he sent it, doesn’t have any shipping info tho- threw away the paper bla bla bla. I gave him the benefit of the doubt, until I had enough.

He stopped replying after one week when I told him I was gonna go to the police, and when I did, they basically said it’s way too little money for them to look into it. So basically, I’m just out of luck. So I’ve been annoying the guy whenever he posts something new, but he never replies.

I hate that guy, I’ll tell you that! At least karma is gonna bite his arse someday I hope… Have you experienced something similar?
On ebay once, but their protection kicked in and I got refunded. That's why I only use ebay and reverb.

Jimbo99

Senior Stratmaster
Jun 5, 2021
Palm Coast, FL

I'd burn any & everything he was selling, warn & kill off every sale, the fraud listings. It would cost him more than 50 of any currency to have ever screwed me over for anything.

FrieAsABird

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 18, 2020
Germany
I'd burn any & everything he was selling, warn & kill off every sale, the fraud listings. It would cost him more than 50 of any currency to have ever screwed me over for anything.
I’ve been reporting anything he posts, but sadly, it’s no real use. I think he’s actually some sort of sociopath- he has posted fake ads a few times, stealing pics from the web of vintage guitars and saying he wants to give them away for free. No shipping or anything, so literally just wasting the time of the people messaging him…

Straddled

Strat-O-Master
Mar 7, 2022
Evergreen State
Way back when I bought this killer LP flametop - from a big shop online - and then made it more like a 50's guitar with a few little vintage things I did, and it was soooo beautiful, I just had to sell it.

And this guy buys it up in Canada, a friend of Bon Jovi's, his band toured together with Bon Jovi in the states.

And he's over the moon about the flametop, changed the pickups, gonna take it on tour.

And I get an email from a guy says it was "his guitar, stolen from church, please contact detective so and so, case number so and so"...

I figured it was a scam but called the detective on the case, was a real detective, real case. And the church gave the guy nothing because it was his property on their property, so not insured.

I really felt for the guy actually, but the guitar was long gone.

I had to get a hold of the guy in Canada and tell him it needed to come back and he just laughed. But said thx, I won't take it on tour, figured it was just a chance to get it confiscated.

There was literally nothing I could do.

And the shop that bought it was FIVE MILES from the church where it was stolen, guitar on a website for all to see, but no serial number visible in the ad, and so I asked them "Why don't you show serial numbers in your ads" and the rep said "we don't do it because of scammers".

Who's the scammer?