Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Ever fall out of love with your Strat?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Stratopat, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Stratopat

Stratopat Strat-Talk Member

Dec 5, 2016
    Wisconsin
    This is Whitey. Whitey was born in Mexico in 1990. Many Strats have come and gone (MIM, American and Squiers), but Whitey has always been my #1. I put a Hotrail in the bridge and love it.

upload_2017-1-29_10-57-50.jpeg

This is Blackie. Blackie is a Squier born in China in 2000. Blackie is a freak of nature. It has a full width body and plays better than any other Strat I have played. It has a full set of Hotrails in it.

upload_2017-1-29_11-15-30.jpeg

Here is where the problem started. I decided I didn't want both guitars to have Hotrails, so I decided to make Whitey a heavy blues guitar. I took out the Hotrail and tried a Seymour Duncan SSL-5 (I had been listening to a lot of Floyd). I didn't give me the tone I wanted. I had a Rio Grande Stelly laying around, didn't like that either. I decided to try a set of YJM fury's, which I found aren't very furious. So now Whitey just hangs on the wall neglected.

I don't really want to put the Hotrail back in. I still want a heavy blues guitar, but I have lost motivation to continue to swap pickups. I figure I'll step away for a while. I have no intentions of getting rid of it, but for now, the love is gone.

So....when I get around to working on it again, what would be a good pickup to try that would give me awesome sustain and a good heavy blues sound out of single coil. I know it is a subjective subject but I'm just looking for some direction. I was thinking about a Quarter Pound. Any suggestions? Thanks.

2. k701

k701 Strat-Talker

Aug 25, 2016
    On the crooked shelf
    I have never fallen out of love with my Strats. There have been a couple I was never in love with to begin with. They soon went.

3. newplayeroldguy

newplayeroldguy in the wind Strat-Talk Supporter

May 12, 2015
    north and east
    once I find love, I don't try to change it
    maybe take Whitey back to where it was and build a new one for the heavier one you're looking for?

JustABluesGuy likes this.

4. Duotone

Duotone Senior Stratmaster

Feb 12, 2016
    Norway
    Hey,

I'm not cheating, I'm an axe swinger, My strats is ok with it...

Well, what is on the other end of the jack cable?

In my experience PUs swaps nudge you 10% to 20% in some direction. An amp might change 50% - 70% towards the wanted sound.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
    Easywombat and Strat_Cat_7 like this.

5. garyhoos1

garyhoos1 Partscasters are a joy. Strat-Talk Supporter

I'm in and out but mostly in.

6. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer

Sep 18, 2014
    Victoria TX
    I'm usually fine with them until I start thinking about selling them. Then my mind starts cleaving my emotions from the instrument. It must be an instinctual self-protection.

garyhoos1, JustABluesGuy and s5tuart like this.

7. Pete_C

Pete_C Strat-Talker

Jan 10, 2016
    United States
    I haven't ever found one I loved, just ones I liked a lot.

garyhoos1 likes this.

8. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Certified Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    In my own little world
    Only when they're both missing a top E string ... :mad:

9. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Strat-O-Master

Sep 3, 2016
    Houston, TX
    I have. Mine was getting a lot of fret wear and not playing well at all. I recently did a fret level and dress and fell back in love.

Then I got my first Tele...

I still love my Strat, but she been a bit lonely lately.

Strat_Cat_7 and thatfiend like this.

10. s5tuart

s5tuart ...... Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 8, 2011
    Bedford, UK
    I fell for the click-bait! :D

I loved my Aerodyne when I first got it. That and my LP Standard were my "working" guitars, but recently the Strat just sounds so weak every time I pick it up, that I'm seriously considering ebaying it.
    I'll try another set-up to make sure I'm not missing anything and I know it's not the amp because my '83 Elite makes it sing!
    Not sure what pups are in the Aerodyne. Maybe I'll have to lift the scratchplate...

IMG_4820.JPG

Rudi and stratocarlster like this.

11. b22p

b22p Strat-Talker

Oct 23, 2010
    dallas, Texas USA
    That's a nice looking strat you have there

s5tuart likes this.

12. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Most Honored Senior Member

May 7, 2014
    UK
    Nope, love the ones I have, and the ones I stupidly sold!!

garyhoos1 likes this.

13. SAguitar

SAguitar Senior Stratmaster

Jun 28, 2014
    Oregon
    I have one similar to your Whitey, but I named him Cracker. Whatever, I put a Kinman Blues Set in him and I love what it can do now.

14. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    I've fallen in and out of love with all my guitars at some point. One month there is one I always reach for and another I use sometimes, everything else is a case queen. Then I grab another for a particular song and it becomes the #1. And around and around and around it goes.

15. Stratopat

Stratopat Strat-Talk Member

Dec 5, 2016
    Wisconsin
    I run my guitars into a Digitech GSP1101 rack preamp, from there into a Mesa Boogie 50/50 Tube Rack Amp connected to (2) 212 cabs running stereo with a Celestion Greenback and Vintage 30 in each. All in a 12 x 12 room. It's an older rig, much like me, but it has served me well. I have my 3 custom go to tones, a Fender clean, a Marshall crunch and a Mesa Triple Rectifier. I have found that if I boost the YJM pickups, I can get close to the tone I want. I just think the base tone of the YJM pickups is just lifeless. I wasn't going for the Yngwie tone mind you, I just thought it might be a hotter pickup to try. I think I preferred the SSL-5 to it. I wish there was any easy way to plug and try pickups, although I do appreciate the improvement in my soldering skills.

16. Duotone

Duotone Senior Stratmaster

Feb 12, 2016
    Norway
    The YJM are designed for a particular tone setting and may not be that allround. I'd make myself a few patches on the Digitech to match the PUs if possible.

17. ido1957

ido1957 Strat-O-Master

Oct 13, 2014
    Canada
    I fell out of love with my 78 when I bought my EC. No love lost.

18. Otisblove

Otisblove Strat-O-Master Strat-Talk Supporter

May 20, 2016
    Chicago
    I've had 3 strats that, from the moment I got them, I didn't LOVE. All gone now.

I've had 2 strats that, from the moment I got them, I've loved.
    One is a 1998 American and one is a 2010 Mexican. I put gold lace sensors in both and they sound exactly the same, which was probably dumb on my part, but to me, they sound just like a Stratocaster is supposed to sound. Maybe one day I'll swap pickups out on one of them, or I might just need another strat to experiment on.

dlogs likes this.

19. garyhoos1

garyhoos1 Partscasters are a joy. Strat-Talk Supporter

There is a place I call The Dark Side of the Room that would not be out of place.

s5tuart likes this.

20. Yves

Yves Senior Stratmaster

Jan 2, 2016
    London
    Ever since I got myself a Strat again, around 2012, which I thought I'd just wanted to fool around occasionally, I have been only playing the Strat. The old jazz' of 20 years + has remained in the box since. Since I got my MIJ 60s CP around 5months ago, it has become the only one I play, and now I also have a Strat that hasn't seen the light of day for all that time. But I can not part with any of them.

Bob the builder likes this.